Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Another problem. Lost acceleration

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 01:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another problem. Lost acceleration

still having the same single cel blink/flash problem as in my other thread. Today, was cruising in 4th gear roughly at 3k rpm. When my car pretty much acted like my throttle body shut and started to decelerate. Rpm went to 0. A/F showed --- like I was off the throttle. Left my foot on it for a second then let off. And it came back. Anyone have this happen? Thanks. Built evo 8. 10k miles on motor. 135k on chases
Old Jul 19, 2017, 01:54 AM

This is my other problem

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/741795-cel-blink-once-lose-power.html
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
What were the rest of the electronics doing in the car?

EDIT: If the rest of the electronics in the car function normally when these issues pop up, I would look into your ignition system.

Last edited by bboypuertoroc; Jul 19, 2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Kinda sounds like you are loosing power somewhere. I'd suggest starting off with the easy stuff to check, the battery and the connections under the driver's side kick panel - see if there is any green corrosion there. Then maybe look up the grounding points in the FSM and clean those.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
What were the rest of the electronics doing in the car?

EDIT: If the rest of the electronics in the car function normally when these issues pop up, I would look into your ignition system.
everything else was fine. Stereo was working. A/f and boost gauge were on. I didn't have time to look at my turbo timer. I recently about 4 or 5 months ago changed the ignition switch.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb
Kinda sounds like you are loosing power somewhere. I'd suggest starting off with the easy stuff to check, the battery and the connections under the driver's side kick panel - see if there is any green corrosion there. Then maybe look up the grounding points in the FSM and clean those.
now that you mention it, I have a small battery in the car. But I've had this setup for over a year, new battery as if January, and have never had this problem until recently
Old Jul 20, 2017, 01:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
On another forum a Mustang owner said his PATS?? (security) system light was coming on and the engine would act up. Well, I knew the engine computer was what recognized the key. So, I figured the computer was dropping out and advised he clean the ground coming off of the battery and that fixed it. That ground is a Ford issue but your problem could be similar.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
On another forum a Mustang owner said his PATS?? (security) system light was coming on and the engine would act up. Well, I knew the engine computer was what recognized the key. So, I figured the computer was dropping out and advised he clean the ground coming off of the battery and that fixed it. That ground is a Ford issue but your problem could be similar.
ECU would be my next suggestion as well.

It sounds like the ignition system is being cut for a sec. If it were the battery all your other electronics would be going in and out as well (ask me how I know lol). I think either your ECU is having issues talking to the ignition or something in the ignition system itself is off.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know the mods in your car but if you have a Omni 4 Bar MAP Sensor swap it and see if it fixes it. I had the same problem when I got my Evo back. Hit boost and my car lost accel and boost. Replaced the MAP and I was good to go.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 09:16 AM

Just read also that you swapped the battery. Is the battery secured tightly? Replaced my battery in the trunk and it wasn't as secure as it should been. Rigged it to where it was on tighter. Prior to that fix when I accel hard on 1st Gear my car would for a second shut off and then immediately come back on.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
ECU would be my next suggestion as well.

It sounds like the ignition system is being cut for a sec. If it were the battery all your other electronics would be going in and out as well (ask me how I know lol). I think either your ECU is having issues talking to the ignition or something in the ignition system itself is off.
i was thinking that too. Idk what happens when your ecu starts to take a dump. This has happened only like 2 times. Other than tha my cel blinking one time while cruising/idle and dying when happening has happened a lot. It's just not consistent at all. I changed my ignition switch about 6 months ago with a used one.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by AWDSeven
I don't know the mods in your car but if you have a Omni 4 Bar MAP Sensor swap it and see if it fixes it. I had the same problem when I got my Evo back. Hit boost and my car lost accel and boost. Replaced the MAP and I was good to go.
i do have an Omni 4bar map sensor. It was brand new and have had it on for about 4 months. But the car runs fine in wot. I sometimes get a knock warning in 4th/5th. Talking with my tuners, English racing, to see if they can get me in. I don't think my issues have to do with my tune. Battery is tight though. I am thinking I don't have a good ground though.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 04:00 PM

So the most recent things were battery (7 months ago), Omni 4 Bar (4 Months), Ignition Switch (Used 6 months ago)

Also the whole story with my 4 Bar Sensor, swapped with friends, had Omni swap me a new one and gave to my friend, then that one failed which was less than seven months old so because it was new doesn't necessarily mean bulletproof. Omni should make two packs.

Try to see if you can get another one. Also make sure its secure cause that metal fastener sucks. Zip tie it or anything to make it secure. Re-seat if necessary. Try all the simple things before going all out. It must be one of those three things i mentioned earlier.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by AWDSeven
So the most recent things were battery (7 months ago), Omni 4 Bar (4 Months), Ignition Switch (Used 6 months ago)

Also the whole story with my 4 Bar Sensor, swapped with friends, had Omni swap me a new one and gave to my friend, then that one failed which was less than seven months old so because it was new doesn't necessarily mean bulletproof. Omni should make two packs.

Try to see if you can get another one. Also make sure its secure cause that metal fastener sucks. Zip tie it or anything to make it secure. Re-seat if necessary. Try all the simple things before going all out. It must be one of those three things i mentioned earlier.
i do have an old used Omni 4 bar I could use. Those don't need tuned right?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by coreymelton
i do have an old used Omni 4 bar I could use. Those don't need tuned right?
if your switching from Omni 4 bar to omni 4 bar you should be fine

Quick Reply: Another problem. Lost acceleration