Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

NYS Inspection Problems

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2017, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
NYS Inspection Problems

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place. Anyways, I have an Evo IX, full bolt on stage 2, tuned by STM. The car has never had issues passing inspection, but this year NYS made it nearly impossible to pass with any sort of aftermarket DP/cat work/tune.

I failed inspection today due to something to do with O2 simulation. The shop reboot and retried and still failed.

Anyone else run into this issue this year? How did you go about getting it to pass? I'm now driving around with a car with no inspection sticker.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Read the Force OBDII readiness monitor thread
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Do you have a rear o2 on the car for visual?

I haven't gotten inspected yet this year because of the idiotic new tint law. Did the tune happen since the time you last passed?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Read the Force OBDII readiness monitor thread
Thanks. I will look for it.

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
Do you have a rear o2 on the car for visual?

I haven't gotten inspected yet this year because of the idiotic new tint law. Did the tune happen since the time you last passed?
I believe so, but honestly not entirely sure. I bought the car in Nov 2015 with the exhaust set up exactly the way it is and haven't had a reason to look at the cat. The car is tuned by STM and has had the same tune on it since I bought it (I never had the car tuned myself, previous owner did at some point in the car's lifetime). This is the first year I've had problems getting it inspected.

I am taking the car into STM this afternoon so Emory can look over the tune and we will go from there.

I feel your pain on the window tint. I had mine removed and will replace it once I get the car inspected. The local Tint Shop has a nice $40/window remove/replace deal so I just have to take it back when I'm ready and they will throw tint back on it. It will obviously have to be removed again next year, but for $160/year it's not the end of the world I guess, especially if I can plan for it.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

ive heard varying reports of changes in what the inspection computer looks for. if you pm me and remind me i can send you a screen shot of the settings i have on my patch. i have passed in multiple states on the same settings (ny included of course). Emory could then set the patch with those settings for you.

i have seen a lot of people fail because the tuner sets all the monitors to ready, and then the inspection system knows that even tho a system is showing ready it actually doesnt exist on the car. but who knows, maybe i wont pass now either...i haven't tried yet
Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

ive heard varying reports of changes in what the inspection computer looks for. if you pm me and remind me i can send you a screen shot of the settings i have on my patch. i have passed in multiple states on the same settings (ny included of course). Emory could then set the patch with those settings for you.

i have seen a lot of people fail because the tuner sets all the monitors to ready, and then the inspection system knows that even tho a system is showing ready it actually doesnt exist on the car. but who knows, maybe i wont pass now either...i haven't tried yet
Greatly appreciate your offer, but Emory was able to quickly "reactivate a few things that didn't need to be deactivated" and I passed yesterday no problem. Again, I have a Megan DP, catless test pipe and Greddy CBE, so if I can pass with a few tweaks, anyone can.

If anyone would like me to try to get more information I can.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 01:18 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Congrats! All that info was in the thread posted above.... but settings seem to differ from car to car, so it's good you were able to get it figured out. Do you mind posting your settings, in case someone else has the same problem?
It's such a hassle. I live in CA and had to try three times to pass smog, last time. Head ache, for sure.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cts4g63
Greatly appreciate your offer, but Emory was able to quickly "reactivate a few things that didn't need to be deactivated" and I passed yesterday no problem. Again, I have a Megan DP, catless test pipe and Greddy CBE, so if I can pass with a few tweaks, anyone can.

If anyone would like me to try to get more information I can.
nice, it sounds like exactly what i was referring to then. i figured emory would know the right settings since hes in NY.

screenshot attached is the how the settings should be to represent the oem settings.
Attached Thumbnails NYS Inspection Problems-force-pass-settings.jpg  
Old Aug 20, 2017, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am Having the same issue with NYS inspection showing simulator
Old Aug 20, 2017, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

set it up as i have pictured.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would the set up posted also work for VIII's? I've ran into the same issue today. ��
Old Aug 31, 2017, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

i think so, however i dont really have anything to base that on unfortunately. i think the cars should be close enough systems wise.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else in NY able to get this fixed? STM isn’t tuning at the moment and I’m dead in the water!
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by JToussEVOVIII
Anyone else in NY able to get this fixed? STM isn’t tuning at the moment and I’m dead in the water!

ESPEC(LI, NY) can help you with the tune or you can have TSComp tune it remotely.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
nice, it sounds like exactly what i was referring to then. i figured emory would know the right settings since hes in NY.

screenshot attached is the how the settings should be to represent the oem settings.

This is the most helpful thing here. I would also insist that the tuner maintains the OEM settings for emission inspection.