Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need some help/advice

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2017, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help/advice

So I have had my evo 8 a little over a year. Really have had zero issues with the car.
when i got it got it tuned, new clutch and a few other things.

Anyway drove it for awhile. Took it to a Shop that works on Evos near me.
Had them do the 60k mile maintenance belt, water pump, oil change, ect.

Had the car around 48 hours. Drove it a total of 2 - 3 hours.

Leaving work, merging on the highway 3rd gear got up to 10lbs of boost maybe a little more. shift out of 3rd gear everything seems normal but the RPMs keep dropping until the car dies. Wouldn't start back up either. Anyone have any ideas what could of caused this? Did i blow my motor? Yes i warmed the car up first. Oil was up to temp.

No bang... no puff of smoke, no oil leaking all over the place. Nothing..

car has 526hp 415lb/ft
Stock 2.0
GSC S2 cams
Gt35r turbo
SD coversion 3.5in intake
Coil pack
1000cc fuel injectors.
walbro 255 fuel pump

Those are the mods that i think are what people would need to know.
I can give more if needed.

Any sort of help is much appreciated.

I have checked my IC pipe. Checked a few fuses. I can hear the fuel pump kick on.

Thank you in Advance.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 09:44 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
First of all, welcome aboard & thanks for joining us

I doubt the motor has failed. Almost sounds fuel related? No codes thrown? Should check the ECU for codes!

What a coincidence that you just had the major maint done & now this happened.

If you cant this sorted out, I suggest you take it to the shop & have them diagnose

Old Aug 5, 2017, 09:50 AM

Thanks for the welcome.

I have been trying to get a Code reader. I am not sure if it has thrown a code or not. All the dash lights come on and not just the check engine light.

I read it could also be the o2 sensor so I am going to go check that as well.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
You might have a bad O2 sensor but it won't prevent the engine from running.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 11:11 AM

Got a code reader hooked it up no codes thrown.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Does the car crank?

Fuel pressure test
Spark test are in order.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do a air leak test, check for split in a pipe..
Old Nov 21, 2017, 08:05 PM

So sense I posted this I haven't heard anything back from the shop. It took them some time to get back to me they finally got the car. Have had it almost two months and got back to me with what happened.

The OEM timing belt they put on snapped. Pistons are shot. Valves need replaced. They think a refresh is all that is needed.

I have got a email from them I haven't talked to them yet sense getting it. I wanted to see the opinions of everyone on here. I have pictures they sent I am on my phone at work don't have the time to upload them right now.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm assuming as a part of the 60k maintenance, they did the timing belt? And it took them two months after you brought the car to them to tell you that the timing belt job they performed had failed, and destroyed the motor? I would be absolutely livid, man.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by butte
I'm assuming as a part of the 60k maintenance, they did the timing belt? And it took them two months after you brought the car to them to tell you that the timing belt job they performed had failed, and destroyed the motor? I would be absolutely livid, man.

Yeah... They do good work and are a evo shop. But the main complaint about them is communication.
After I went in to see everything for myself and talk about some things we saw it was the balance shaft that caused the problem. I asked wouldn't all that of also been at least checked for the 60k and they said no. So I'm just annoyed and stuck. Gotta pay the almost 8k for all the work that needs to be done now. Oh well life goes on. I did get a discount too.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
If that happened to me id be seeing my lawyer first
Old Nov 23, 2017, 09:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Grimm One
Yeah... They do good work and are a evo shop. But the main complaint about them is communication.
After I went in to see everything for myself and talk about some things we saw it was the balance shaft that caused the problem. I asked wouldn't all that of also been at least checked for the 60k and they said no. So I'm just annoyed and stuck. Gotta pay the almost 8k for all the work that needs to be done now. Oh well life goes on. I did get a discount too.
They aren't paying for their mistake? OEM belts don't just break when new. 100% install error, was probably way too tight.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
An hour or two to diagnose the engine and two months to get back to you.....
Old Nov 23, 2017, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Look man,you’re being taken advantage of. Clearly you’re a nice guy that’s trying togive this shop the benefit of the doubt. Don’t. Timing belts don’t just snap for no reason, and the fact that the balance shaft belt let go that soon into your dive clearly indicates there was an issue with it or an install error. Why they wouldn’t just change out the BS belt while they were in there is beyond me. It’s not expensive…they should have at LEAST given you the option.

On top of their screw up, they let your car sit for 2 months while they work on other cars. I wouldn’t let a company that broke my car, let it sit for 2 months, and has problems communicating with me ever touch my vehicle again. For the love of god, at least take it to a reputable shop. You are paying out the *** to rebuild the motor anyway, at least you can ensure its done correctly this time. What if they screw up again? They’ve already proven they can’t install a timing belt, you want these monkey’s clearancing your motor?

Unless there’s more to this storey, you need to make some decisions.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 08:15 AM

these are the photos of the belt.

After going back and looking at the quote of work that was done for the 60k I see they SHOULD of changed the balance Belt tensioner and the balance belt. Plus all the timing belt ones.

Friday July 21st emailed them that the car died on the highway. Didnt hear a email back at all.. emailed them again on Aug 5th still didnt hear a email back. The second email was much more what is going on. Just had the car worked on it dies and no one even wants to offer to check and make sure something they did, didnt go wrong.. Another week or so goes by still nothing.. the put a post on facebook about having internet problems and phone lines down.. I posted something about not hearing from them in over 2 weeks. the post they put up was taken down a few days later. Made the post on here at some point. Then I called them finally got ahold of someone.. they picked my car up on Sept 8th. On Sept 20th i get a email back saying

This is what I've got as a preliminary estimate. We may be able to reuse the rods and the crank, but I have to get it torn down all the way before we can make that decision. We will be able to reuse the cams, lifters, rockers and valve springs, that will save you some money there. It also helps that all of the timing components are new, so those won't have to be repurchased. The cylinder head will have to be replaced, as its almost definitely chewed up on the inside. If we can repair it for a decent amount, we will do so to save you some money.

Please review the estimate below. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
We look forward to working with you.

talked to them that day a few times. All they had done at that point was put a camera down in the motor. I was told it would be done by middle of november... few weeks went by i emailed them to find out how everything was going on Oct 18th. Didnt hear anything back until Nov 21st that was the email saying it was the timing belt and so on. So that is where i sit now. I am not sure if they are open today but I do plain on pointing these things out that they replaced the balance belt and tensioner and see what they say. If it doesnt go well ill contact the Better Business Bureau. If need be ill have to find a lawyer as well.

Thank all of you who have given me advice.