Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

New Exedy Twin Organic - Wow!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
New Exedy Twin Organic - Wow!

As I've continued to work on my GSR, it became apparent that I was going to need a clutch in the not too distant future. It definitely had some life left, but I have an appointment to take the car to Boostin Performance for tuning and didn't want to waste a day with a clutch slipping on the dyno (we'll definitely get video). I don't expect a stock clutch to hold up to the mods on the car (MHI-18K, 1300cc, full bolt ons, etc).

I was taking to the Exedy guys at Gridlife and they mentioned they were about to release a new version of their Hyper Twin Plate that used organic materials rather than the conventional cerametallic discs. The idea was something that still had big holding power but was super easy to live with every day and had even better service life. Sounded great to me so I signed up to be the first customer.

I'm finally through the break in on this clutch and I have to say I'm totally floored. It almost seems too good to be true, but this might be the "no compromise" clutch for mid power Evos. Pedal effort is basically stock. It makes a tiny bit of noise with the pedal down, but no where near what I've heard in other multi disc setups. The engagement is super smooth, it's easy to pull away and we were even able to adjust some of the height our of the engagement point on the pedal travel. I am absolutely stoked at how well this car drives right now and can't recommend this kit enough.

BTW, if you're interested in seeing a super in depth clutch video, check out my post in the How To section. We get pretty granular in the details, but if you're about to do a clutch, this will definitely make sure you're prepared to do the job.

Old Aug 18, 2017, 01:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Great for a street car. I still wouldn't launch it much, or count on it for road course work. Organic material doesn't like the heat.

I think my metallic exedy HD twin drives great. No complaints for street use.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 01:46 PM

We'll see how it works out long term. The car gets mostly street miles with a few track days a year. I don't drag race or launch the car at all and the stock clutch did well out on the couple of track sessions I got this year (Gingerman, Blackhawk and Road America). I'll keep you guys posted.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 02:41 PM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Let me know when you will be holding the funeral for your stock rear diff.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 02:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Lol, that's only an issue when launching the car, he says he doesn't do that, so it'll be fine.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 03:01 PM

Knock on wood, but when I serviced the diff a couple months ago, there weren't really any shavings in the fluid and it looked ok. I mean, it was gear oil with 20k miles on it, but nothing scary in there. I'm pretty tame in terms of beating on the car. I enjoy spirited runs through the backroads and couple track days, but it's not abusive. I'm an old guy =)
Old Aug 18, 2017, 03:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Launching is what breaks the X rear diff. The carrier/lsd explode, or the case cracks around the pinion or carrier bearings.

Looking forwards to long term review of the clutch.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Lol, that's only an issue when launching the car, he says he doesn't do that, so it'll be fine.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by NFSEvolutionGSR
You'd probably have the same reaction to me saying I only need one hand to count the number of times I've launched my car.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I've literally never launched my Evo 10 ever.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
I've literally never launched my Evo 10 ever.
You don't know what you're missing out on.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by powerdriver
You don't know what you're missing out on.
Yes I do, that is why I do not do it.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was talking to Evan from Exedy over the weekend as well, they claim 560lb torque limit and a stock pedal feel. It's light and engages very smooth. They have a special intro rate now at 1,100 or 1,150 which is a hell of a deal.

They also have a new HD version of the cerametallic, that looks neat as well.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
UMM Interesting
Old Aug 21, 2017, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
You'd probably have the same reaction to me saying I only need one hand to count the number of times I've launched my car.
Actually, I am not having a hard time with that at all. Now, if you are making that claim for both your car AND your wife's car...then no, I call BS.

Quick Reply: New Exedy Twin Organic - Wow!