Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rod Knock? Or Lifter // Valve Train Issue?

Old Aug 22, 2017, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Rod Knock? Or Lifter // Valve Train Issue?

So I drove my Evo to the shootout this year, and was it a blast! Being about 400 miles away from home, I started hearing a slight ticking sound. Fast forward rather then give a long story, it is pretty audible now.

I fear it is Rod Knock, but the sound seems like it is coming from the head itself. Before mentally / financially preparing myself for a full long block rebuild, I figured I'd have a second opinion on here and see.

I know I can pull the plugs, however at this time I am about 200 miles from home and do not have tools on me until Friday when I do drive all the way home. ( We are spending it at my gf's parents visiting this week ).

Here is a youtube link. I do not think it's rod knock, however when inside the cabin, you get that diesel like sound which convinces me that it is in fact rod knock. I know camera sound quality sucks, but figured I'd try and get an opinion anyway.

Thanks in advanced!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
sounds like a spun bearing to me,
Old Aug 22, 2017, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

check your oil filter for metal shavings
Old Aug 22, 2017, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

sounds similar to this
Old Aug 22, 2017, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

^ doesn't sound anything like that.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Chrispy0530
^ doesn't sound anything like that.
Thats a spun bearing and also rod knock..
Sounds simular to me when u went in cabin..
my ears may be bad
Old Aug 22, 2017, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TariqEvo
Thats a spun bearing and also rod knock..
Sounds simular to me when u went in cabin..
my ears may be bad
Let's hope its not! But I thank you for your opinion.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
The audio on your phone may not be picking up anything out of the norm because I can't hear anything. I definitely didn't hear rod knock like suggests from the second in-cabin video. The second video posted is definitely rod knock, and if you aren't hearing that, then you might just have lifter tick or it could also be your injectors pulsing as well, which in this case, that is what I am going to say. You are hearing your injectors. That is just my opinion since I am not able to hear anything else from the video.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I hear injectors, lifter tick and some timing belt noise. There is a faint knock that I believe is what you are hearing.

I can tell you this, if you rev up the car with your hand and let off real quick, like slowly snapping the throttle, you will hear a clacking if the bearings are gone. Almost sounds like piston slap.

I can't tell what the faint knock is, but it seems to get louder as the car warms up. Drain the oil, check for shavings and, assuming no shavings, put a thicker oil in and drive it home.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
mods?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4G63Rules
The audio on your phone may not be picking up anything out of the norm because I can't hear anything. I definitely didn't hear rod knock like suggests from the second in-cabin video. The second video posted is definitely rod knock, and if you aren't hearing that, then you might just have lifter tick or it could also be your injectors pulsing as well, which in this case, that is what I am going to say. You are hearing your injectors. That is just my opinion since I am not able to hear anything else from the video.
Originally Posted by Project_Broke
I hear injectors, lifter tick and some timing belt noise. There is a faint knock that I believe is what you are hearing.

I can tell you this, if you rev up the car with your hand and let off real quick, like slowly snapping the throttle, you will hear a clacking if the bearings are gone. Almost sounds like piston slap.

I can't tell what the faint knock is, but it seems to get louder as the car warms up. Drain the oil, check for shavings and, assuming no shavings, put a thicker oil in and drive it home.
Yeah, there is a bit of piston slap when the car is first warming up. This has been the case since I first purchased the car, so I'm not terribly worried about it.

I again apologize for trying to ask opinions based on a cell phone recorded video/audio. I appreciate the responses.

I've had quite a few vehicles with Rod Knock, and when the RPM's are winding down, I do not hear the typical knock that would be associated with it. Just some clutch chatter ( Excedy Twin Clutch ).

Originally Posted by kyoo
mods?
Bolt ons mostly.
-1000 CC PTE Injectors
-ETS FMIC Kit
-AEM Air Intake
-Megan Exhaust
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
pretty mild... are u the first owner? injectors are usually a supporting mod for something else (ie bigger turbo). sounds like you're gonna have to get it apart.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
pretty mild... are u the first owner? injectors are usually a supporting mod for something else (ie bigger turbo). sounds like you're gonna have to get it apart.
This.

Unless previous/current owner was/is planning and never got to something larger, or it ran E85 at some point.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

I am not the first owner, car has had several owners. Previous owner had intentions of running E85, but never got around to it. Still on stock IX turbo. I've put around roughly 10k miles since owning it, and never showed any signs of issues till now.

Definitely hoping this is a valve train issue. When I get home this weekend, I'll pull the valve cover off for inspection.

Last edited by Chrispy0530; Aug 22, 2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had similar problem/sound before also and it would also sound like piston slap on start up when cold. It ended up being the timing belt auto tensioner. Belt was tight when inspected so took a while to figure out. May be something to check!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rod Knock? Or Lifter // Valve Train Issue?