Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Harness bar

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2017, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harness bar

I am about to pull the trigger and buy a 5 or 6 point harness to mount to my recaro's. I have been looking at mounting bars not the issue, they all look great. My problem is i have a car seat and I don't know if it will interfere with that. My seats are vertically adjusted as straight up as possible without too much discomfort, but with that said how adjustable is the mounting position for the harness cross bar? Does anyone happen to know or has anyone installed a harness bar and a car seat? Or is there another option? I hope my question is understandable lol

Last edited by Midnightblue; Sep 15, 2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 03:48 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Mounting a harness bar renders the rear passenger seats unusable from a safety stand point

If you can find a bar that has a quick release, so it can be removed while you have peeps in the back seat, that would be best in your case

Old Sep 15, 2017, 03:54 PM

Ahh okay... that makes sense, i wasnt sure whether it was or was notthanks for the clarification
Old Sep 15, 2017, 05:27 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I'm sure a hard-core racer will chime in.. but FYI: Harnesses in a car without a roll bar is dangerous. Also, a harness bar isn't meant to mount harnesses to.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 07:24 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I'm sure a hard-core racer will chime in.. but FYI: Harnesses in a car without a roll bar is dangerous. Also, a harness bar isn't meant to mount harnesses to.
Lets break this post down a bit. 1. Hardcore racer has already posted (see post no.2)

2. Its OK to run some types of harnesses in a non roll bar car (See Schroth AutoControl II or their other offerings w/rear seat belt attachment points)

3. Also, maybe the OP is an AutoX'r in which case most guys dont run roll bars
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:51 AM
kaj

I didn't know they made 5 and 6 point ASM harnesses, so my bad there. And I keep forgetting about AutoX.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
I always have to post this picture when someone mention harness bar. As someone already mentioned, you don't want to use a harness without a roll bar, and you need fixed back seat with roll bar, and also need head neck restraint with harness.
Attached Thumbnails Harness bar-screenshot_20160527-145019.png  
Old Sep 19, 2017, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Even for autox, ive seen a few case of rollover. Although not as bad or frequent as the track, it still does happen
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:34 PM

Thanks for the great input and info guys.

I am really just trying to keep my evo fun and functional. I don’t necessarily have a need for a cage at the moment and im not trying to throw the car on a diet either. I need the functionality of a and I say this loosely “family” car. The only criteria needing to be met was it had to have 4 doors. I got rid of my bikes, and purchased this. I love how nimble the X is in its stock configuration and I want to expand on its ability to turn in, hold a line and exit the a turn. Auto crossing is definitely on my list its never going to fly down the fwy @ 232 mph nor do i expect it to. But 100 hp more and some turnability is what i am ultimately seeking. And if the car turns why not be planted into the seat when it does. Thats my train of though, stationary sprung weight. I guess I was looking at it though “GO-FAST” goggles.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 01:19 AM
kaj

Your best bet is factory seats, seatbelts, and airbags. Those will keep you safest. Otherwise, you are looking a minimum four-point roll bar in order to use the harnesses. With harnesses, you need a HANS device (okay to use OEM seatbelt for street driving).
I had a HANS device, harness, and seat waiting in my garage for, like, a year before I could afford the roll bar. But they really are all required to work together.
Don't listen to the cambered-out tire sticker guys at the car show. A harness, on it's own, is no bueno. Attaching it to a relatively flimsy harness bar is really, really bad, mmkay LOL.
If you are trying to keep from sliding around in your seat, you can try a CG lock (mine worked "okay"). I have seen people use the lap portion of a harness, along with the factory seat belt. I do it at AutoX.. not sure I'd be okay on a road course, without researching how safe it is.

Sorry for the long post. Not trying to be a know-it-all, but this is your life we're talking about.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by kaj
Your best bet is factory seats, seatbelts, and airbags. Those will keep you safest. Otherwise, you are looking a minimum four-point roll bar in order to use the harnesses. With harnesses, you need a HANS device (okay to use OEM seatbelt for street driving).
I had a HANS device, harness, and seat waiting in my garage for, like, a year before I could afford the roll bar. But they really are all required to work together.
Don't listen to the cambered-out tire sticker guys at the car show. A harness, on it's own, is no bueno. Attaching it to a relatively flimsy harness bar is really, really bad, mmkay LOL.
If you are trying to keep from sliding around in your seat, you can try a CG lock (mine worked "okay"). I have seen people use the lap portion of a harness, along with the factory seat belt. I do it at AutoX.. not sure I'd be okay on a road course, without researching how safe it is.

Sorry for the long post. Not trying to be a know-it-all, but this is your life we're talking about.

Any and all info is greatly appreciated,

“Cambered out tire sticker guys” LOL Right?!?

I may have to look at some more options. Maybe a cage wouldn’t necessarily be that bad of idea. If and only if
(a) it doesnt weigh a ton
(b) rear seat functionality is not limited
(c) it doesnt hinder the use of my baby car seat

But that on its own will open up a whole other can of worms ... lol so lets just chalk that up to me thinking loudly.

I am understanding the flimsy bar aspect tho. No support to maintain rigidity incase of a side impact of whatever sort. So that on its own is a “NO-GO” hmmm decisions decisions.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
A lot of people say driving with a cage and the factory seat belt is unsafe as it will allow you to move more than a harness enabling contact with the roll bar.

As far as wanting a harness to hold you in your seat I've never seen the need. The stock recaros hold you in place very well.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 09:57 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Meathooker
A lot of people say driving with a cage and the factory seat belt is unsafe as it will allow you to move more than a harness enabling contact with the roll bar.

As far as wanting a harness to hold you in your seat I've never seen the need. The stock recaros hold you in place very well.
To play devil's advocate: That may depend on what's installed (cage vs roll bar). My roll bar is built to NASA and SCCA specs. It's nowhere, and I mean nooowhere near my head. It would be impossible for me to hit it unless I literally come out of my seat and get tossed into the back of my car (I think I'm dead at that point LOL). You did say cage, though and not roll bar, so I do agree with your point. Cages on the street = no good.
As for the seats, some of us are narrower and move around a decent amount. before using my CG lock, I'd be planted on my dead pedal other than shifting. Not fun. Especially for AX, where I'm getting tossed around the inside of the car like crazy.

Last edited by kaj; Oct 2, 2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To the OP. You posted to the "Competition" part of the EvoM forums. People in this group don't compromise on safety in a competition setting. A harness bar is a compromise of safety and nobody here is going to recommend it to you. I'd seek validation elsewhere.

If you aren't going to compete and you want to use this car for hauling your family around don't put select competition parts you find attractive in your car. They are designed to be used in conjunction with a whole system of safety parts, in a specific setting - racing.

I highly recommend you try a CG Lock for the occasional spirited drive. It's very cheap, easy to remove, and not a safety hazard. If nothing else, try it first.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by dave_evolvix
To the OP. You posted to the "Competition" part of the EvoM forums. People in this group don't compromise on safety in a competition setting. A harness bar is a compromise of safety and nobody here is going to recommend it to you. I'd seek validation elsewhere.

If you aren't going to compete and you want to use this car for hauling your family around don't put select competition parts you find attractive in your car. They are designed to be used in conjunction with a whole system of safety parts, in a specific setting - racing.

I highly recommend you try a CG Lock for the occasional spirited drive. It's very cheap, easy to remove, and not a safety hazard. If nothing else, try it first.

Thanks I will definitely look into that.