Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New upgrades, no car won't start

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 08:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
New upgrades, no car won't start

I just finished installing a Walbro 255 and new FP Green. I also had an oil leak from the camshaft seals that I fixed during the install. Now, I am attempting to start the car and it will not start and idle unless I put my foot on the throttle. If I remove my foot, the car will almost immediately stall out. It will crank over endlessly, fuel pumping whining in the back, but will not start unless I put my foot on the throttle. When it does actually start, the car almost sounds like it is misfiring, like a Subaru. I originally got a code for the TPS, which I knew was going out, so I replaced that and the code is gone, but the car still won't idle or run well. Any one have any ideas on what to check? Thanks
Old Oct 13, 2017, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Look for an air leak in the intake.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 09:02 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
did you mess with the Cam angle sensor at all?
Old Oct 13, 2017, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Did you remove the black single wire thingy on the fuel pump hangar? If so when installed you might have made the oring go in crooked. Will cause your concern. Also maybe bad timing and bent valves.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Did you install injectors to go along with the Turbo? Have you tried putting the old pump back in? Assuming that you are upgrading from another known good pump.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 09:53 AM

I did remove the blue wire. I'll check that out. Thanks

Didn't touch the cam sensors at all, and I re-timed the car when I put the new cam seals in just for safety. My initial thought was timing as well, but it's pretty bang on the dots.

Old Oct 14, 2017, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Did you install injectors to go along with the Turbo? Have you tried putting the old pump back in? Assuming that you are upgrading from another known good pump.
I haven't installed the injectors as I was just trying to get the car to run so I can limp it to the tuner. I'll put the old pump in this afternoon when I get home from work.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Make sure you plugged in your maf sensor. Also check all the other sensors.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
Same thing happened to me when i worked on my friends evo X..
I installed a gtx garret stock frame, an AEM fuel pump, and set of injectors. It started and ran for about 2-3 seconds then died and would not start.
i found when i put the sock on the fuel pump, i did not latch the clips in place. After a made sure the clips were all on, i put everything back together and she started right up.
I would go back and check all connections, electrical and mechanical. It is possible for something to fail not related to the upgrades but that would be a big coincidence.
​​​​​​​
Old Oct 14, 2017, 04:09 PM

so I just reinstalled the stock pump and nothing changed. car will not idle, and it will only run with the throttle. I've been back over everything I touched during my install and even the stuff I didn't touch...

Originally Posted by slocho
Same thing happened to me when i worked on my friends evo X..
I installed a gtx garret stock frame, an AEM fuel pump, and set of injectors. It started and ran for about 2-3 seconds then died and would not start.
i found when i put the sock on the fuel pump, i did not latch the clips in place. After a made sure the clips were all on, i put everything back together and she started right up.
I would go back and check all connections, electrical and mechanical. It is possible for something to fail not related to the upgrades but that would be a big coincidence.
​​​​​​​
Unless I am installing the pump incorrectly, I don't think this is the issue anymore. And this isn't the first fuel pump I've installed(not on this car, mind you), and they've all gone in without issue before
Old Oct 14, 2017, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
How do the spark plugs look? If itll start WOT maybe its getting too much fuel?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 06:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check your iac. Also did you reinstall the coil packs in the right place? Also are you on speed density? If so find a working map sensor and install that. See if that changes anything.

On your cam angle sensor did you install the disruptor shield correctly inside the cam housing? That will cause fuel cut and miss fire. Same with a crank angle sensor. Car will start but cause a lot of problems. ...like sounding like a Subaru.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by slocho
How do the spark plugs look? If itll start WOT maybe its getting too much fuel?
Pulled the spark plugs, 1 and 4 have a LOT of carbon build up, 4 also has oil on the threads. 2 and 3 are black, no carbon build up. I am positive this because of rich condition since it only runs on the throttle. But why? putting the fuel system back to stock didn't fix the issue, and the only thing I changed was the pump

Coil packs were installed the same way they were taken out. Still on stock MAF, so no SD. I didn't touch either of the cam sensors or the crank sensor other than unplugging them. I did check the connections again, and they're all fine. I will check again of course
Old Oct 16, 2017, 03:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
is your FPR stock? is the vacuum line hooked up correct? is the return line pinched? pull the return line and see if it is clogged, maybe the tank side of the return line got messed up when you had the pump out.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:24 PM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Photos of plugs?

Oil on no 4 will be a broken piston.

There's obviously more than just one fault, the most serious being oil on no 4 which will make it misfire

Last edited by RightSaid fred; Oct 16, 2017 at 11:38 PM.

Quick Reply: New upgrades, no car won't start