Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Low Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low Tire Pressure

I have a 2010 GSR and twice in the past 2 years (about a year apart), my "Low Tire Pressure" light comes on and filling air back up only lasts about a week. On both occasions I took the car to the local TireDiscounters and they said that the alloy wheels corrode and causes a leak. They had to file the rims to solve the issue and said there really wasn't anything I can do about this problem. Their solution seems to last for ~1year. They want my business, so they didn't even charge me; it was more of an annoyance for me to deal with this every year. Anyone else have this issue?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 08:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Usually only chrome wheels will corrode in the bead area and leak.

Are you checking your tire pressure monthly? (you're supposed to..)
Old Oct 16, 2017, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Make a mixture of a small amount of dish detergent and water in a spray bottle (I just used the last bit in the det bottle and filled with water).

Spray on the valve stem and around the rim.
Where it bubbles - that is the leak.
My problem was the valve stems were cracked. I had to have the stems on the TPMS replaced (there is a kit/saves $$$).

Let us know what you find.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Usually only chrome wheels will corrode in the bead area and leak.

Are you checking your tire pressure monthly? (you're supposed to..)
I probably check it about every 6 weeks. Having said that, is there anything (preventive) I can do to mitigate (some kind of an anti-corrosive spray, etc.,) the problem? I also can't garage the car; it is always parked outside. That probably doesn't help.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Veronica
Make a mixture of a small amount of dish detergent and water in a spray bottle (I just used the last bit in the det bottle and filled with water).

Spray on the valve stem and around the rim.
Where it bubbles - that is the leak.
My problem was the valve stems were cracked. I had to have the stems on the TPMS replaced (there is a kit/saves $$$).

Let us know what you find.
I haven't had any issues with the valve stems (yet). On both occasions, the corrosion was not near the valve stems. I was just curious if anyone else had encountered this issue.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 01:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Wheels that aren't chrome don't really have this corrosion issue. I used to work at Discount and the only wheels that ever had this issue were ones that were chrome plated..
Old Oct 23, 2017, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I kid you not this happened to me like 2 weeks ago on my X with the stock wheels. Took my car to a tire shop because I had the TPMS light come on and the tire was low on air. Figured id take it to a tire shop to have them inspect it and make sure it didn't have a nail or anything. Before unmounting the tire they put extra air in the tire to over inflate a little and put it in their water tub with soap to see if they could find a leak... Nothing. They took the tire off and saw that there wasn't any nails or damage anywhere. They also checked the wheel and verified there wasn't any cracks or bends, no corrosion. They mounted the tire back on and filled it up and I was on my way. Wake up the next morning and the tire is completely flat! I was pissed. had to put the spare on and take the tire back. They were confused and in shock. They took it off again and checked it all over again. Re-soaping the tire about a million times hoping to find a pinhole leak and rechecking the wheel again with a flashlight and still nothing. They mounted the tire again and I told them I would monitor it throughout the day. Its been 2 weeks and hasn't happened again... I have absolutely no idea as to what the hell it was. Mind you my car is parked inside of my garage and I have no kids to play pranks on me. Just over all really odd.