Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Best washing technique?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best washing technique?

Looking to do hand washing at home and possibly claybar? What do you guys do to keep them whips shining ?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 06:58 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/user/AMMONYCdotcom i always watch Larry's videos to get pumped about washing my car lol. Dude has so much passion for it, and it is contagious.

Anyways: for your general car washing you will want to start with the wheels using their own bucket, sponges, and brushes. For the car you will want to use the 2 bucket method, preferably with grit guards, and have a different wash mitt for the top half, and the bottom half of the car.

I usually clay and seal my cars once a year, but you should only clay if your car really needs it. Run your hand over the surface after a wash, if it feels rough clay it, if it still smooth your good. Then wax as regularly as you want/need.

Some advice, if you drop anything that touches the paint on the ground stop using it until its washed and maybe even then it will still need to be demoted to some other task. The clay you just throw away if it touches the ground period. Foam guns / cannons are great.

I haven't gotten into paint correction so can't help you there. If you want to learn about it though watch Larry's videos, that guy is insane.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 06:20 PM

I would def recommend the two bucket method and always have separate supplies/mitts for wheels. Start at the top and work your way down. Any extra dirty area use a different mit/sponge. Use one motion <---> when washing, don't do circles. Horizontal motion is best. Be weary of car covers, the inner liners tend to trap dirt/sand/things that scratch paint.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 06:33 PM

Two bucket method and top to bottom. CUse two buckets often more than not...
Old Nov 20, 2017, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
two bucket method like everyone else said. first clean the car to get rid of all the dirt, then do the clay bar. after that you want to use a good wax which is usually anything with carnauba.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 02:20 PM

two bucket wash but also would suggest a foam gun,,,my go to options.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Old Feb 4, 2018, 09:18 AM

Two bucket method with grit guards, foam canon, and use an leaf blower to get the majority of the water off the paint. I like Griots wax as you dry with a large microfiber cloth to finish the job.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 11:15 AM

Not a washing technique but the Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish paint protection is awesome. It literally takes less than 15 minutes to do the whole car. You just spray a small amount on the provided microfiber towel then spread it, flip the microfiber and buff. There is no need to wait for the product to dry before the final buffing.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 08:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Touchelss car wash with high pressure gun, air dry, detail spray. 2 years so far and paint is still flawless
Old Feb 21, 2018, 02:41 PM

I really gotta get to washing my car properly... Been meaning to clay it for so long now, although it doesnt really feel like it needs one... but it doesn't bead as well i'd like it to so thinking clay then wax might help. Anyone got any tips on polishing?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:29 AM

always use new rags. buy them at costco, the yellow micro fiber works wonders