Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Why both Port and Direct injection and percentage GDI usage by manufacturers

Old Nov 22, 2017, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Why both Port and Direct injection and percentage GDI usage by manufacturers

Yes, I know not new info but I was wondering why exactly both. I really posted because of the little bar graph showing % GDI used by manufacturers.

https://blog.caranddriver.com/explai...ect-injection/
Old Nov 22, 2017, 09:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The port injectors keep the intake port and intake valves clean. DI only results in heavy carbon build up in the intake port, and back side of the intake valve. Resulting in power loss, drivability issues, and general poor performance.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The port injectors keep the intake port and intake valves clean. DI only results in heavy carbon build up in the intake port, and back side of the intake valve. Resulting in power loss, drivability issues, and general poor performance.
Can I assume "normal", mundane cars owned by non-enthusiasts are coking up but isn't a problem bc nobody cares to check a Hyundai?

There are cars that don't seem to have the problem, but it seems to me more a matter of time. Walnut blasting seems to be the solution which is a pain and expense for owners. What does that do to all these turbo engines? Does the intake tract/turbo need to be disconnected?

Last edited by moparfan; Nov 23, 2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The issue effects most DI only vehicles. Even NA Audi’s have the issue (V10 S6, V8 RS5, etc). Ford has the issue in the 2.0 GDI engine in the focus. But it does seem to be more prevalent in turbo models a far as noticeably effecting performance.

You may not “hear” about it in Hyundai’s because;
A: the driver is too busy eating paste to notice.
B: the driver ate too much paste to care.
C: the driver is too busy eating paste to go online and complain about it.
D: the owner doesn’t go on car forums because their car is transportation to go get paste, and go to work to afford to buy more paste, nothing more.
E: The vehicle’s performance is so abysmal to behind with, its hard to notice a 10% loss, especially when eating paste.

For walnut blasting, the intake manifold is removed, and the port is blasted with walnut chips while simultaneously being vacuumed. The engine is rotated so that the valves are closed in the port currently being blasted.