Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

605hp e46 m3 or 400whp evo 8?

Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
605hp e46 m3 or 400whp evo 8?

Hi, i'm trying to figure out which vehicle i would rather have. i'm 17, my dad has en e46 m3 and it's nice but not fast enough. He won't let me mod his which is fine so i would go ahead and buy my own and supercharge it. I want an evo because of the 4wd but the power that can be put into m3 is worth it. I live in wisconsin and would love to have awd for year round rather than half of the year. What should I go with?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Should not have listed your age my man, people might give you a hard time.

Us evom'rs are going to be a little biased to this question as we love the evo. I think that you would have more fun in an evo and it will be safer for you than a 605hp m3. 605hp at the rear wheel breaks traction very easily, so it's easy to drift into a street light if you're not careful. A 400hp evo will keep traction through most gears which will allow you to maintain control. It's a much more forgiving car. I've spun out my evo a few times by driving like an idiot at night through canyons when I was young, none of which caused an accident or killed me. If I was in a high hp m3, i would have easily hit something or drove off the canyon entirely.

Would be nice to have an E46 m3 though, that is my favorite BMW.

Last edited by Pal215; Jan 10, 2018 at 12:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pal215:
Mauricio Evo IV (Jan 10, 2018), Salteddevo (Jan 10, 2018)
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Better question is, how much experience do you have driving high power cars? What car, what power, and for how long? Being a 17 year old kid tells me you will be slacking in the experience department. And despite what you see on 1320Videos, MRL and the like where it's all big numbers, 400+hp to the wheels of just about anything, is a lot of power. So before we steer you in the wrong direction think about that for a second. Reminds me of the squids that want a litre bike as their first bike when they can't even realistically handle a 250cc.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're right I shouldn't have posted my age but I have been to the bmw driving camp as what you would call it. I drove the new m6 and things of that nature, I grew up around cars and i've learned my lesson with drifting and street racing already. My uncle has a Gt500 supersnake and I've driven that easily
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Salteddevo
You're right I shouldn't have posted my age but I have been to the bmw driving camp as what you would call it. I drove the new m6 and things of that nature, I grew up around cars and i've learned my lesson with drifting and street racing already. My uncle has a Gt500 supersnake and I've driven that easily
As long as you are a responsible driver and stay aware of your surroundings I don't see why you couldn't drive any car. As they say, the best drivers are the drivers who fix other drivers mistakes.

Look to make sure no one is around when you get on it (police included), stay off the power in the corners on public roads. Even if you know what you're doing with your training, most other drivers don't. It's scary to think that we are sharing the roads with people that can't even drive a Prius correctly.
The following users liked this post:
Salteddevo (Jan 11, 2018)
Old Jan 15, 2018, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
600 whp m3 wont be reliable and wont have traction

400 whp evo will be fun and fairly reliable as long as you have a decent clutch and arent launching like a tard.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
It’s not your age that’s the problem but your generation. From what I’ve been hearing and reading is the younger folks the ones about to get licensed are not wanting to own cars. My hats off to you and your passion for cars. I vote Evo, BMW is cool car too.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 06:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I vote a car with a lot less power, honestly. IMO just a stock Evo would be pushing it for a first car. Just because you drove your dad's GT500 doesn't mean anything. Lack of experience could really come to bite you if you get into a situation you don't know how to handle.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I have an Evo and a BMW. I can honestly say go with the Evo. More reliable, easier and cheaper to work on. BMW you code everything. Injector fails, have to code it. Battery dies and needs replaced, have to code it. Don't get me wrong they are fun and by far more comfortable than the evo. But the pros outweigh the cons for the Evo. Plus being that you live in Wisconsin you'll be able you utilize the evo year round.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 04:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I have been on the forums here since 2001...before the Evo 8 came to the US and when getting an Evo to the states was only a dream.

THere have been a number of drivers killed in their Evos, most if not all were speeding.

And every single one of those driver deaths, the driver was under the age of 25.

I just put a tune on my DD, an e92 335i. Car probably puts down 350 to 370 whp...maybe more. Last time I dynoed it, it didn't have a tune and it put 306whp down at only 8 psi.

At 350+, the car spins tires fairly easily. And you want to put a 17 year old (no offense) in a 600+ whp car? I love cars, and if I had a kid, there is no way in heck I'd allow that.

You're better getting a lower horsepower car and learning how to drive it. Like a Miata. Seriously.

That's my 2 cents.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 05:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 572 Likes on 430 Posts
Yea I'd be dead 5 times over if I was given a car with that much power at 17. I went through enough **** with tickets when I was younger and I used to say I'd learned my lesson after every ticket I got, that got old. I ended up buying a miata.

If you're really set on having an evo then buy a stock or lightly modded stock turbo car and be content with that. Power isn't something you just hop in and get used to. After working at shops and having friends/friends of friends have their almost stock cars modded for big power, I've seen lots of accidents because people don't realize that their car literally makes 2-4 times the amount of power it did before. Smart people work their way up with power and add more as they learn to control what they've got.

I'm not trying to harp on you or anything but I've seen your story plenty of times and they usually follow a predictable course.

Also, you're going to get reamed by your insurance company with either of those options just FYI.
The following users liked this post:
EVO196 (Feb 14, 2018)
Old Jan 26, 2018, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Evo all day long!
Old Feb 13, 2018, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Neither. Both cars will be too much power for someone who has only driven (legally) for 1 year.

Like someone posted before 400 WHP is still super dangerous especially on a car that weighs just a tad over 3,000 pounds.

My Evo RS makes about 450 WHP and it still scares the **** out of sometimes. If you HAVE to get a performance car, I would just get a relatively stock Evo and tell all your friends its 500 HP and I doubt they will know any better.
The following 2 users liked this post by youra6:
EVO196 (Feb 14, 2018), six40 (Feb 14, 2018)
Old Feb 18, 2018, 01:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Miata for a 17yr old

Get some experiance first enjoy growing up and looking forward to buying a fast car with your own money later
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
When the subframe repeatedly tears out of your e46 you'll wish you had an Evo. Evo is much cheaper to maintain, too. Look at the pricing for the S54 water pump.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 605hp e46 m3 or 400whp evo 8?