Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

What to look for in a tuner?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
What to look for in a tuner?

Hi all, i have searched around but havent found what im looking for
Im planning to get a dual tune 91 pump and e85. I will only be using e85 for track time as i have to drive 2.5 hours to get it.

I live in south east NM and the only tuners i know of are in Albuquerque NM or El paso TX.

What should i look for in a tuner? Or what kind of questions should i ask?

My car is an 05 evo 8. Mods are intake maf adapter, mbc, catless tbe, ets licp. I have waiting to be installed gsc s2 cams with gsc springs, 1050 fic injectors, and wally 255 pump. Car runs great but i only have had a dynoflash mail in tune. (I mailed in my ecu, was done back in 2010).

I will be doing a boost leak test after i install mods. Im not looking to break records, but, like everyone else, i want a safe tune with good drivability. I have considered etune but i will have to buy the cable and wideband. Would that be best option?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 12, 2018, 03:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Hi Slocho,

For E-tunes look for:

1. Email response time
2. History of the quality in their tunes (May I recommend English Racing?)
3. How unlocked is the map and will they allow YOU to make changes to it.

Investing in a wideband with rs232 output is always a good idea. That will tell you generally where to make changes in your fuel map with respect to load and rpm. It can also tell you quickly if there is something wrong with your fuel pump or injectors. It's just safe to have.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Pal215
Hi Slocho,

For E-tunes look for:

1. Email response time
2. History of the quality in their tunes (May I recommend English Racing?)
3. How unlocked is the map and will they allow YOU to make changes to it.

Investing in a wideband with rs232 output is always a good idea. That will tell you generally where to make changes in your fuel map with respect to load and rpm. It can also tell you quickly if there is something wrong with your fuel pump or injectors. It's just safe to have.
Thank you for the information! I was not aware the tune could be locked by the tuner. I will look into getting a wideband also, seems like its important like having a boost gauge.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 04:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by slocho
Thank you for the information! I was not aware the tune could be locked by the tuner. I will look into getting a wideband also, seems like its important like having a boost gauge.
Absolutely ,

Yeah, people have the ability to hide tables from ECUflash so that others don't steal their work. It takes lots of dyno time to find a close enough MBT that works for most cars of a certain kind on the timing side. Fuel maps tend to be more different from car to car than timing maps. Also, the numbers in a fuel map don't actually represent the AFR's, but rather arbitrary values used to increment and decrement your fuel input using your injector scaling number as the overbearing value. Tuners tend to start with a stockish fuel map and scale the injectors first, then start pulling/adding fuel from there.

The kicker?

The injector scaling number does not match the size of your injectors either
Old Feb 16, 2018, 04:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Honestly, the wideband should be the very first mod. Like said above, it’s the one gauge in your car that provides a snap shot on how things are running. I’ve used a couple e-tuners and some are great, others not so much. The advice given above is really good. The best overall option is to find someone that will allow you to make changes after. When the tune is complete study on how to do the tune yourself. The simple fact of the matter is, eventually you will need to make adjustments, if you can’t do them yourself your stuck paying again. Not to mention it seems like when there are issues with the tune it’s a lot tougher for a tuner to jump in and fix them right away. You may drive away and the issue will pop up again.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Smoknzx3
Honestly, the wideband should be the very first mod. Like said above, it’s the one gauge in your car that provides a snap shot on how things are running. I’ve used a couple e-tuners and some are great, others not so much. The advice given above is really good. The best overall option is to find someone that will allow you to make changes after. When the tune is complete study on how to do the tune yourself. The simple fact of the matter is, eventually you will need to make adjustments, if you can’t do them yourself your stuck paying again. Not to mention it seems like when there are issues with the tune it’s a lot tougher for a tuner to jump in and fix them right away. You may drive away and the issue will pop up again.
Thanks for the advice, i really appreciate it!
I think i will go with etune but now i know what to ask.
Ive never really looked into self tuning but i will at least get familiar with it to make adjustments for sure.
Ill buy a wideband for sure now, its not my daily anymore so i want to take my time and do everything right.
Thanks again guys!
Old Feb 16, 2018, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
You need the tactrix cable with adapter for the evo 8. Outside of that you need ECU flash (free) and Evo scan ($20). And of course a lap top. After that just time, research and make really small changes. It’s not as hard as you might think.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 11:35 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I look for a tuner that replies within reasonable amounts of time (makes you a priority). Also, if he asks you lots of questions, that's a good sign i.e. asking what you have done to your car, what your goals are, what you are realistically expecting, etc.
Basically, as long as the tuner is willing to work with you, not just tell you what to do AND be honest/upfront about everything. That goes a long way, IMO.
Other than that, I'd research other cars they have tuned to be sure they have a decent track record. Both the tuners I have used (BainsTuned, BoostedTuning) have great history. I track my car and have never had a problem. Ever.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 03:13 PM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Both the tuners I have used (BainsTuned, BoostedTuning) have great history. I track my car and have never had a problem. Ever.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...urbo-woes.html

If it was tuned right, the turbo wouldn't have blown up.

Just sayin?

Tuning is the complete package, not just changing a bit of software.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 03:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
LOL, tuning didn't fail that turbo.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:32 PM
kaj

never mind. Not gonna get into it
Old Feb 17, 2018, 04:54 AM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
It's all about the total package so how are you going to achieve it by doing it remotely?

When the software fiddler doesn't know how many PSI it takes to open the stock BOV?
Doesn't know what the fuel pressure is at idle and doesn't know what it is at full load because it's got a silly big pump and a stock FPR.

And then it's got a silly COP upgrade with shorter coils that won't stretch to the spark plugs so it misfires,

Last edited by RightSaid fred; Feb 17, 2018 at 05:01 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 11:22 AM
kaj

Squirrel!
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
Hi Slocho,

For E-tunes look for:

1. Email response time
I can't emphasize enough on that point. Also, may i add PUNCTUAL !!!!!! His punctuality says a lot about his work ethics.
Also when he takes the time to listen to you, explains to you properly... There are E-Tuners who have amazing results, but are extremely difficult to deal with.

In the end, if your setup is near stock, and you have the time/enjoy learning, do it yourself. It isn't that difficult once you learn how things work.