Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ideas to make my evo more civilized?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2018, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ideas to make my evo more civilized?

A little background. I have owned my evo since new in 2003. So yes, I am getting old! With that said, the car is too loud. It is catless and runs a dumped tial wastegate and buschur racing muffler.

Engine is a built 2.4 with a 6262 turbo making about 550 whp. I was thinking about building a whole new exhaust with a high flow cat, more significant muffler and recirculating the wastegate dump. I know I am going to give up some power, but I am ok with that as long as it is not more than 40hp or so. I just don't want to screw up what has been an awesome setup. Car runs so smooth. Not sure how all these restrictions would impact that. Any thoughts?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just a thought, but you could try running a resonator between the cat and the muffler. With it and a quieter straight-through muffler, it could help a lot. Not sure about space for one, though.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
If your goal is to reduce noise why not go with inline mufflers instead of a high flow cat? You can have one back and one inline where the cat would be. You can run the wastegate dump back into the downpipe and suffer minimal losses. I understand where you're coming from as I had similar thoughts at one point, but then figured why bother.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Agree! Why bother?
Im 42, 3” Straight Agency Titanium. And im in Cali where its a cop magnet.
Its loud but its fast. Its a different story if its loud but its not fast like homie ricer!
Old Feb 18, 2018, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Go with a 3" high flow cat, an inline resonator and a rear straight thru muffler. Recirc the BOV. Have the exhaust Swain coated !!

Other things to make it more civilized:

Rostra cruise control/full Dynamat interior including the doors and trunk/install heated elements into the front seats/replace mirror with Homelink style with rear camera

Bingo magic .....best hands down GTO type cruiser ever!!!
Old Feb 18, 2018, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Install the biggest varex muffler they sell and it's practically like oem quiet I dont even use the electric baffle.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock exhaust, any downpipe, and a English Racing boost activated test pipe. Quite while cruising, but will still make great power when needed.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
I always hated loud exhausts, even when I was 18 getting more into the car mods. For me no sound is good sound. I rather accelerate in pure silence hearing just the turbo sucking in air or road tire sound. I would love to do electric motor swap but battery technology sucks/expensive and the type of motors I want that i’ve been researching are just way to expensive right now. Perhaps in the future when things get better and cheaper I might.

The EVO is a loud car in cabin. Its almost to the point where even with my windows up I can hear a person sneeze in the car next to me better than the passenger in that persons car! I feel that its because there is very minimal sound deadening in Evo’s and I didnt even notice much "Jute padding”. So here are my recommendation to you and also what I may be doing soon.

Interior:
If I’m not mistaken there is virtually no sound deadening padding under the carpet? At least I didnt notice lifting the carpet slightly from the rear seats area . Seems like its just floor, some sound pads stuck in certain areas and carpet. I recommend getting Jute Padding and laying that under the entire carpet, behind/under the rear seats and behind/under the trunk liners. I’m not much of a fan for those stick on Dynamat pads as I dont see them as effective reducing overall noise but more of reducing rattle, or changing metal clinking sounds to more dull/thumping sound.

Also, if your able to get like a 1/8 inch rubber mat to lay on the bare metal first , then jute padding over that and after the carpet on top of it all, I think will be even better sound suppressant .

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_t...CABEgJhufD_BwE

Exhaust:
From what I learned to achieve oem or close to oem quiet you need to add restrictions. Restrictions reduce power and I dont want to lose HP while attempting to quiet the exhaust. I want to “Have my cake and eat it to.”

My current setup is Buschur SD rear muffler and 4” round Magnaflow muffler in place of the cat. And no its not a quiet setup. I want to add an inline exhaust damper that will quiet it down substantially. Something that MAPerformance used to make (video below). I dont want to have a cutout that bypasses all the mufflers and makes things super loud when WOT. I still want to be somewhat quiet with WOT pulls so that is why I say inline damper and not cutout bypassing the existing mufflers.

You could also put boost actuated cutout valve inline. They sell them on ebay. Drill a 3/8" hole in the plate so that some exhaust still passes or trim the edges of the plate so exhaust gases pass from the side and not so much the noise. Your other option is to get Varex muffler.

Edit* I also forgot to mention to get the wastegate dump recirculated. I currently have the MAPerformance v band style mated to my FP Black with SS hotside. The wastegate is dump to atmosphere and soon ill be getting it modified to recirculate to avoid that loud *** dump sound.

Last edited by BluEVOIX; Feb 19, 2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 04:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I run a QTP down-pipe with a 3 inch electric cutout, the rest is a Tanabe Medalion cat-back.

Sounds good, but quiet normally, and open the cutout for horsepower.

GSC S3's made the car much louder, but the tanabe still manages to keep the decibels down.

IMO boost activated cutouts work well, but I don't necessarily want to be loud whenever I get into boost. So I can flick a switch when I want.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hello Ed,

Its great to see you're still around! I was up in Huntington over the weekend!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blue Evo 8
Hello Ed,

Its great to see you're still around! I was up in Huntington over the weekend!
lol. Yeah back from the dead.

Thanks for all the replies. I am tired of dealing with electronic gizmo's like cutouts. Been there... done that. I am also tired of dealing with shady inspections without having a cat. I suppose a resonator, high flow cat, muffler and recirculating the wastegate will help a lot. I used to love all the noise, but there is also something to be said for just hearing that turbo spool up and go. I do wonder though how much HP I am gonna give up. In my mind I can afford to lose 40 WHP. I can gain that back anyway just by turning it up if I wanted to. I suppose there is no "off the shelf solution" being that this a t3 and not a stock turbo. If there is a V banded setup like I described I would love to hear about it. I have been on the sidelines for a long time
Old Feb 20, 2018, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Well in that case I was able to make it pretty quiet running two mufflers. I had buschur 7" rear and magnaflow 6" center. I was quiet driving normal and quiet accelerating WOT. Now it was not exactly as quiet as oem in my standards but most people here would consider it "stock" quiet. And best of all no sacrifice in hp as it was all straight flow through mufflers.

You could run the two muffler setup mentioned above and maybe squeeze in a milspec cat. That would probably make it super quiet , pass some emissions inspections at the same time. You might lose a little hp running the milspec but not too much as they seem to flow well.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Some pics of my old Evo with the Magnaflow 7” rear and Magnaflow 6” center.

Old Feb 20, 2018, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
Well in that case I was able to make it pretty quiet running two mufflers. I had buschur 7" rear and magnaflow 6" center. I was quiet driving normal and quiet accelerating WOT. Now it was not exactly as quiet as oem in my standards but most people here would consider it "stock" quiet. And best of all no sacrifice in hp as it was all straight flow through mufflers.

You could run the two muffler setup mentioned above and maybe squeeze in a milspec cat. That would probably make it super quiet , pass some emissions inspections at the same time. You might lose a little hp running the milspec but not too much as they seem to flow well.
That's interesting. How did it all fit? Again... I have been out of the game a long time but I never saw two mufflers uses. Did you actually dyno both setups?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoTech
That's interesting. How did it all fit? Again... I have been out of the game a long time but I never saw two mufflers uses. Did you actually dyno both setups?
It fit fine and plenty of clearance. I believe I had removed that heat shield above the catalytic converter section from my previous setup. I was on stock ride height and it was fine as well for ground clearance. Remember if its a 6” round muffler that means the exhaust pipe part is 3” then there is additional 1.5” protruding around that.

I remember Buschur also started running dual mufflers center/rear. If you recall his Bullet Mufflers. I cant remember which post/thread it was in, but he said there was no loss in power. His dyno showed 1-3 whp variation between the two runs that even he said could just be difference in air temperature , normal variation between two runs etc..

If you think about it, they are straight flow through mufflers. What is there to restrict power from one straight flow through pipe vs a muffler that is straight flow through and same diameter?

I did Virtual Dyno my next exhaust setup which was the DynoMax VT muffler (had valve/flapper inside) rear and 6” center muffler. I compared that vs just one center muffler and the dual magnaflows . All three showed no changes/loss in power.

Quick Reply: Ideas to make my evo more civilized?