Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

tires questions? mix and match?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tires questions? mix and match?

i need to replace 2 front tires. at first i was thinking of doing all 4 but the tire shop said if i wanted to save $ i could just do the 2 front tires.

my question is, is it okay to have 2 new tires like says falken put on the rear and move the 2 old hankook to the front? Is it okay to have 2 different brand/traction/ pattern of tires instead of all 4 of the same?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 02:56 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
As long as the rolling diameters are really close, otherwise you burn up the center differential. It sucks, but we can't replace less than four tires at a time, unless the others are like new.
I.E. I got a nail in a brand new set of tires and only had to buy one, since I pretty much had no wear on the others.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
As long as the rolling diameters are really close, otherwise you burn up the center differential. It sucks, but we can't replace less than four tires at a time, unless the others are like new.
I.E. I got a nail in a brand new set of tires and only had to buy one, since I pretty much had no wear on the others.
what I meant was the same 215/45/18 but my old one are hankook and i wanted to get these new ones on sale are Falkens. does the brand or pattern on the tires matter is what im asking

The hankook ive driven 60K miles on it but I didnt rotate my tires even once -_-(i know). The tread on my rear tires are fine. my front ones are bad.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:34 PM
kaj

Like I said, as long as the diameters are the same. Brands don't matter.

At 60k miles, is get a new set. That's a ton of wear.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Like I said, as long as the diameters are the same. Brands don't matter.

At 60k miles, is get a new set. That's a ton of wear.
something I dont understand.

Why does the difference in diameters need to be the same with the front and rear tires?

The GTS and below lancers aren't AWD. They are FWD so usually the front tires will have more wear than the rear so that means the diameters will be off regardless no? It will never be the same or near same right? so does that mean this "center differential" will be worn regardless no? I always thought as long the 2 front or 2 rear are same its fine.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 01:22 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Newuser213
something I dont understand.

Why does the difference in diameters need to be the same with the front and rear tires?

The GTS and below lancers aren't AWD. They are FWD so usually the front tires will have more wear than the rear so that means the diameters will be off regardless no? It will never be the same or near same right? so does that mean this "center differential" will be worn regardless no? I always thought as long the 2 front or 2 rear are same its fine.
you are correct! I was viewing this thread from the mobile app and didn't see this is the Lancer forum haha

OP: you are good to go man. You can toss whatever you want and be good to go, brotha!
Old Feb 21, 2018, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
you are correct! I was viewing this thread from the mobile app and didn't see this is the Lancer forum haha

OP: you are good to go man. You can toss whatever you want and be good to go, brotha!
okay thanks, now that gives me some options to play with. now I dont have to spend 600 and can do like 300 for 2 tires installed.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 04:53 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Newuser213
okay thanks, now that gives me some options to play with. now I dont have to spend 600 and can do like 300 for 2 tires installed.
Heck no. Use them until they're dead
Old Feb 21, 2018, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Heck no. Use them until they're dead
I really thought about trading in my 2012 ES for a used 2015 Prius so I could avoid
all the maintenance that is going to come soon along with this current suspension problem I'm having.

The trouble of finding a decent prius and then the process of trading in the lancer and
doing paperwork/haggling with dealership and be at debt for few year kind of put me off and decided to fix the issue and run it for few more years(hopefully).

Things I'm thinking of doing in the future are like coolant flush/tanny oil change/ water pump change and power steering pump change? I got 140K on it almost.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 06:03 PM
kaj

I follow the manufacturer's maintenance schedule, with most cars. As long as you do that, they car should last forever.

Good luck, man. Piece of cake. You got this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I follow the manufacturer's maintenance schedule, with most cars. As long as you do that, they car should last forever.

Good luck, man. Piece of cake. You got this.
I think I mess up with the transmission oil. At 90K I went and asked them to
change my transmission oil but the manual doesn't state to change it, it just said to have it inspected. Because of my previous car problems I thought you were suppose to
change the tranny oil but reading around online it seem like the tranny oil doesn't need to be replaced unless it was under severe conditions. Some people said you dont need to replace the oil and if you do you have to keep doing so after X amount of mileage.
I dont know if im being paranoid but its been 30K miles already and lately i feel/noticed when I'm shift from Park to D or reverse or whichever... I feel the car kind of strongly moves/shift. Maybe it time to replace my tranny oil again($400...)?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:56 AM
kaj

You can change fluids as often as you like, though too often = waste of money.

Just follow the owner's manual's suggested intervals. I'd trust that over popular opinion.

And where in heck do you go where they charge $400 to swap trans fluid? Is that what shops are charging (I've never had a shop service any of my vehicles)? I think I need to open my own.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
You can change fluids as often as you like, though too often = waste of money.

Just follow the owner's manual's suggested intervals. I'd trust that over popular opinion.

And where in heck do you go where they charge $400 to swap trans fluid? Is that what shops are charging (I've never had a shop service any of my vehicles)? I think I need to open my own.
mits dealership... i got charged $180 for labor I believe. like 100 for oil, 20 for oil filter + taxes. My bad it was $330, they charge me $60 for cleaning my throttle body.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 06:23 PM
kaj

Yeah.. I should have opened a shop. I could do one of those per day, three times per week, and make the same I do now. With a LOT less work. Damn it.

LOL
Old Feb 22, 2018, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Yeah.. I should have opened a shop. I could do one of those per day, three times per week, and make the same I do now. With a LOT less work. Damn it.

LOL
you'd probably need a license and trust of people =X