Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo7 Loud vibration/buzzing from front of car HELP

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2018, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo7 Loud vibration/buzzing from front of car HELP

so I recently bought a jdm evo 7 Gsr with acd/ayc, I bought the car from another province, test drove the car before buying and all was good, towed the car back home, dropped it off first thing at the safety inspection shop so I could get the car insured, upon getting the car insured and picking it up from the shop i drove it home from the shop, just as I was leaving the shop the car started to make a extremely bad buzzing/vibration from the front of the car after , I had to slow the car down to less then 5kmh and then it stopped, started driving again and then the same thing, I shut the car off and restarted it, same thing, it’s now two days later and I’ve tried to figure out what it is the best I can but I need a sense of direction. I’ve found that this horrid buzzing or vibration comes on randomly at any speeds or when you just hit the right bump or something, totally random and intermittent an can strongly feel it in the steering wheel and pedals as well as hear it . I was sure that this buzzing had sounded like the abs pump going on and not stopping till it detected wheel speeds less than 5kmh or shutting the car down, I tried pulling the 60a abs fuse, still did it, tried unplugging the abs module and still doing it, I’ve found that when this buzzing vibration comes on it does not interfered with any of the cars system as far as come on, the brakes don’t feel like the abs is pulsating them and the cars steering is fine as well as the engine continues to run drive and idle fine. For example i could be driving at 60kmh and this loud vibration will start suddenly at this time I put the clutch in while coasting and nothing changes, put it in any gear and nothing changes, build boost and accelerate and nothing changes, the vibration stays consistent the whole time until I shut the car off or stop it. I’ll also note that I had a friend in the car with me last night and we were listening outside the windows when we got it to start vibrating like this and it sounds like more dominantly the right side of the car, also the car drives totally fine other than when that starts happening.
the guy I bought it from was daily driving the car and he says nothing like that has ever happened to him. I can’t barely drive the car down the road a few blocks without this happening, is it possible the safety guy broke something from just removing the wheels to inspect and measure brakes? I’m in need of a sense of direction, I haven’t jacked the car up and pulled off the wheels myself yet and was planning on doing that today.

just joined his great forum and am not sure where to post this thread so my apologies if I’m in the wrong place. Thanks!

Last edited by Bcharles; Feb 24, 2018 at 11:11 AM. Reason: adding info
Old Feb 24, 2018, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Did you toe the car or flatbed it?
Old Feb 24, 2018, 11:44 AM

Towed it on a flat bed

Last edited by Bcharles; Feb 24, 2018 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Add pic
Old Feb 24, 2018, 01:17 PM

Update : was driving again at 60kmh bad buzzing vibration started, out car in neutral and coasted with engine running still getting the same sound, shut ignition off, sound stops (still coasting), turn ignition back on but not engine and no sound (still coasting about 50kmh), put clutch in and start engine, sound comes back right away before I could even release the clutch in neutral(still coasting) I did find the reservoir in the trunk that reads ATF SPII was above the max line when I was warming the car up, and after it first made that noise today the fluid level dropped to below minimum. I have the car jacked up and the wheels off, no signs of any leaks from any of the driveline components.
Any info or direction on this would be greatly appreciated !!!
Old Feb 24, 2018, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I'd suggest pulling the accessory belt and spinning all the accessories and idlers, feeling for any roughness in the bearings.
The following users liked this post:
Bcharles (Feb 24, 2018)
Old Feb 24, 2018, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Check all fluids, bleed ACD
Old Feb 25, 2018, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Couple of things i want to mention that can cause this situation.

A loose serpentine belt, worn tensioner, an out of phase balance shaft if you have a stock engine.
Loose flywheel bolts.

I have been through the exact same situation many times , it spoils the driving pleasure. We have to admit its a 2002 model car so things like these will happen.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 01:56 PM

Update: I was driving down to my shop to pull the belt off to check my pulleys and on the way I found that while driving in second gear about 2000rpm just on the throttle to keep it going steady and if I turn my AC on the car gets very heavy resistance, to the point that I have to put my foot at least double into the pedal to keep it going. I stopped the car and at idle I turned the AC on again and the car died at idle, I will say that I’m also experiencing abit of a unsolved boost leak possibly from the throttle body right now so that could play a factor. Anyway on the drive to the shop the loud vibration came back again and at this time I turned the AC on and the buzzing slowed down the slightest bit and changed in sound quite a bit deeper and this is the first time I’ve found something that made the sound change in anyway.
got to the shop jacked it up pulled the belt off, found the tensioner pulley has a substantial amount of play, not much roughness at all but I would estimate almost a 1/16” of play total back and forth play, the AC compressor pulley has about half as much play, not enough to measure but you can feel it click back and forth. I’m also wondering what the Ac compressor is supposed to feel like while the belt isn’t attached cause I’m also concerned as to why the car shuts off and feels like there is so much load on the engine from just the Ac compressor, it blows cold air so I’m pretty sure it’s working although it’s -10C outside right now. The last owner said the air conditioning worked great in the summer. When you spin the outer part by the belt not the pulley I can feel the compressor spinning but it’s not consistent it feels like resistance sometimes and than almost free spin as I keep spinning it with my hand, is it supposed to feel that way cause it’s the compressor making pressure as it’s supposed to or should it spin consistent ?
So is it likely that the play in the tensioner pulley could be causing this vibration ?
Old Feb 25, 2018, 06:37 PM

I had an issue in my Evo 7 that behaved the same as this although I got more of a whine sound than a buzzing and vibration. It turned out that the AC fan bearing had gone so whenever the AC fan would run I would get the noise. Seems that the fan runs once the car picks up a certain speed so the issue would happen when on throttle or coasting but not at a stand still.

Try disconnecting your AC fan and see if that fixes the issue. If so just replace your fan, simple fix.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 05:11 PM

Update: changed tensioner with new, found that brand new tensioner has just about same amount of play s
but I replaced it anyway. I’m leaning towards a problem relating to the air conditioning, every time I turn the AC on the car dies, I can put my foot into the pedal to keep it running but as soon as I let off it dies, I’ve tried unplugging the AC clutch, unplugging the AC fan, I even unplugged both 30a fuses and both relays under the hood and the 7.5a fuse under the dash all at the same time ! STILL SHUTS OFF AS SOON AS YOU HIT THE AC BUTTON ������ I even have both electric fans unplugged. I’m absoluteley stumped and frustrated.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 09:35 PM

Are you still getting the vibration too?

Can be an issue with the tune. With the AC on the engine is under more load and the ECU compensates for this. It's possible your tune is messed up and the ECU is not doing what it's supposed to. There are specific tables in the ECU for operation when the AC is running.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 07:03 AM

Yes still getting the vibration, I’m starting to think it’s an ecu problem, I do know the last owner had done something with it to have the CEL flash when the engine detects knock

Last edited by Bcharles; Feb 27, 2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 06:54 PM

Yep CEL flash sounds like it's running a TephraMOD ROM. Do you know how/have the gear to pull the ROM from the ECU and take a look at it?
Otherwise maybe get a tuner to look over the tune.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 05:52 AM

I have all the tools to remove it if it’s a physical part but it sounds like it would be worth getting someone to run over the tune and verify everything’s okay or will be able to change what need be, I’m doubtful that will fix my vibration problem though

Old Feb 28, 2018, 02:18 PM

The ROM isn't a physical part it's essentially the tune that is loaded onto your ECU. Sounds like you don't have the software and cable required to download it and take a look so best get a tuner to look over your tune, especially the AC related tables.
The vibration appearing when the wheels are moving, regardless of engine speed, was basically the same thing that was happening to me and it turned out to be the AC fan bearing. If you've unplugged all the AC stuff and you're still getting it maybe try unplugging the radiator fan. I know that the ECU will change fan speeds (AC and radiator) based on vehicle speed.

Quick Reply: Evo7 Loud vibration/buzzing from front of car HELP