Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

4WD not engaging

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
4WD not engaging

I experienced a few months ago that all 3 ACD lights came on. No codes.
AWD still worked fine, now suddenly the AWD is not engaging. I floor it in 2nd or 3rd i get crazy Honda like wheel spin.
I am suspecting a failed ACD pump. Other than that it drives fine.
Can i check the ACD codes through Evoscan 2.9 for evo7/8?
What things do i look for to determine the cause ?

Thanks.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 05:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
Does the pump turn on when you start the car? Do you still have 3 ACD lights lit?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by mines5
I experienced a few months ago that all 3 ACD lights came on. No codes.
AWD still worked fine, now suddenly the AWD is not engaging. I floor it in 2nd or 3rd i get crazy Honda like wheel spin.
I am suspecting a failed ACD pump. Other than that it drives fine.
Can i check the ACD codes through Evoscan 2.9 for evo7/8?
What things do i look for to determine the cause ?

Thanks.
Are you spinning or is your clutch slipping? I've ran pretty big power with a failed ACD pump and i don't notice any issues when driving in a straight line an pinning it. Its a different story if you're at the track taking corners though..
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by V.8MR
Does the pump turn on when you start the car? Do you still have 3 ACD lights lit?
I still have 3 ACD lights lit. I haven't Noticed the pump sound but i will check again.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
Are you spinning or is your clutch slipping? I've ran pretty big power with a failed ACD pump and i don't notice any issues when driving in a straight line an pinning it. Its a different story if you're at the track taking corners though..
I am getting wheel spin and can feel the wheel hop. The Wheel spin is so much that it feels as if the clutch is slipping which is
confusing me. The key thing i noted is that when climbing i floor it from 5k to redline it doesnt sleep but wheel spins.
Any Hard ware checks that i need to look at ?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

UPDATE*

So finally checked the ACD pump , its oil pressure sensor wasnt working properly. Replaced it and the ACD lights went back to normal.
4WD started working normal.
The bad news is the 6 leg Quarter master is slipping like oil. Not a single Launch on this clutch . Using it since 2015.
Any suggestions ?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 08:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
how much power are you making? when your pump failed all 3 light on? i think im facing the same issue but my lights is not on
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

575 WHP on 93 Octane. Yeah all 3 lights were on when it stopped working.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 03:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
What a strange occurrence. Glad you have resolved it. As for the clutch, I would go with the ACT Xtreme Sprung 6 puck (ME2-XTG6) for cheaper, quieter ride. Or you could be unreasonable like me and get a noisy Exedy triple disk. The exedy will never slip on you, but for your current power levels, a twin might be enough.

My next clutch is likely going to be the ME2-XTG6, because it's really all I needed in the first place. I don't launch often enough for the triple.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 01:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pal215
What a strange occurrence. Glad you have resolved it. As for the clutch, I would go with the ACT Xtreme Sprung 6 puck (ME2-XTG6) for cheaper, quieter ride. Or you could be unreasonable like me and get a noisy Exedy triple disk. The exedy will never slip on you, but for your current power levels, a twin might be enough.

My next clutch is likely going to be the ME2-XTG6, because it's really all I needed in the first place. I don't launch often enough for the triple.
I am not sure about the Street Manners of ACT, some times traffic here becomes worst and daily driving becomes a pain.
I am also Considering EXEDY TWIN but still not sure which version to choose.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How exactly would the AWD stop working? Just curious...
Old Mar 15, 2018, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
^Lol hey Pete didn't know you were still on here...I think AWD shuts off when VTEC kicks in but im not sure.

On a serious note, now that you mentioned your clutch was slipping were you sure what you were experiencing was indeed wheel spin? The easy way to tell is when you get on it if the RPMs and MPH goes up then wheels are spinning RPM and no MPH its clutch slipping.

A failed ACD pump will keep the center diff open. So technically your car is still AWD at that point but its only powering whichever side is easier to spin.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by grillpt
How exactly would the AWD stop working? Just curious...
Me and My friend were roll racing, stepped on the the gas and it started wheel spinning. Asked my friend if he can see it visually, he also
confirmed that only the front wheels are wheel spinning. 2nd and 3rd gear same situation. I also noticed it started running very light unlike 4wd drive behavior.
After ACD issue was resolved it was back to normal.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 07:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
It doesn't stop being AWD because ACD stops working. It amazes me how little some people know about the cars they own.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
It doesn't stop being AWD because ACD stops working. It amazes me how little some people know about the cars they own.
It amazed me as well. May be it was the clutch slipping not the AWD,i am still not sure that is the reason why i posted here.
Can you please share what can it be ?

Quick Reply: 4WD not engaging