Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Noise coming from brakes and/or suspension...need help!!!

Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Noise coming from brakes and/or suspension...need help!!!

Whats up gents, recently I have been hearing a few different noises coming from my front end while driving. I cant manipulate the noises, they're kind of random. My mechanic and I have jacked the car up on 3 separate occasions and everything seems to be solid under there, nothing visible either. But something is definitely wrong. I'm going to explain the noises i'm hearing the best that I can.

First is like a rotational scraping, like something scraping the rotor. Brakes were just replaced about 6 months ago, rotors and pads all the way around. This noise would come and go but just this past Friday it came and has been constant since.

The other noise is kinda like a banging/clunking noise which def sounds like metal against metal. With such a distinctive noise you would think something would be easily visibly broken under there. NOTHING...... Tried shaking the tires to see if its wheel bearing, no real movement from 12 and 6, there was little play at 9 and 3 which we concluded was inner tie rod. But obviously 4,000lbs of shifting weight is different than us trying to shake it with just human strength.

This noise is also random, I hear it every morning when I reverse out of my parking spot, but it also happens sometimes when i'm going forward. Almost sounds like a brake component is loose but we've checked it all and everything is solid. I NEED SOME HELP. The car was never making these sounds in the past.

I have Fortune Auto 500s installed since 2015, they might have 15,000 miles on them TOPS. These noises def sound like something is going to break at some point and I really would like to diagnose and fix the problem before that happens because the car is so low it will be a no go getting it onto a tow truck. I even brought it to local shop with a lift to see if somebody else's eyes can see something I cant. they noticed the sound I was describing when they were going back and forth in their parking lot and stepping on the brakes hard (rolling forward and then hard brake, then rolling backward and hard brake). They brought it up on the lift and said both inner tie rods were starting to get a little loose and I knew that already when my mechanic and I were shaking things but they also acknowledged that inner tie rods wouldn't be the culprit of the noise DUHHHH. They have a lift where you can drive the car back and forth a few feet in either direction and their tech said he noticed a little bit of flex in the strut when he was on the lift and doing the roll forward hard brake and roll backward hard brake. ANYBODY HAVE ANY KIND OF KNOWLEDGE OR HELP FOR ME???????? PLEASE AND THANK YOU!!!

Last edited by c.scatena; Mar 14, 2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:51 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
These types of issues are hard to diagnose via the written word. Most guys now are attaching a sound clip or vid

Thats good youve had the mechanic look at this. Have you pulled the wheels off to give it a visual? The only thing I relate to in your post is the rotational scraping. Make sure the dust shield havent bent over & rubbing the rotor

Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
These types of issues are hard to diagnose via the written word. Most guys now are attaching a sound clip or vid

Thats good youve had the mechanic look at this. Have you pulled the wheels off to give it a visual? The only thing I relate to in your post is the rotational scraping. Make sure the dust shield havent bent over & rubbing the rotor

Yeah we pulled tires off, everything is tight and looks fine. we even bent the dust shields back away a little bit and nothing.... i do have a sound clip of my car rolling backwards in neutral but i dont know how to upload it....
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:05 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

If the sound clip is like an MP3 / 4 you should be able to attach it using the paper clip in the upper tool bar. That may help, but again, w/out the car in front of us, its tough.

When the cause is known, an update from you would be appreciated
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
If the sound clip is like an MP3 / 4 you should be able to attach it using the paper clip in the upper tool bar. That may help, but again, w/out the car in front of us, its tough.

When the cause is known, an update from you would be appreciated
i have a video on my cellphone of the rotor noise, but not the knocking noise. I sure as heck hope i can figure this out sooner than later. i will update when and if i do, but i still need members here who might've had the same problem or something similar to chime in and give me some ideas or some info.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Try pressing you caliper piston out some (don't need to reset all the way) and replace pads as far apart from rotor as possible. Avoid pressing on brake pedal and use hand brake to to get rolling. Listen for sound to see if that pad was touching rotor.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
Try pressing you caliper piston out some (don't need to reset all the way) and replace pads as far apart from rotor as possible. Avoid pressing on brake pedal and use hand brake to to get rolling. Listen for sound to see if that pad was touching rotor.
if it is, what next?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by c.scatena
if it is, what next?
Then find ways to better separate pad from rotor when you release pedal. I recall there is a clip that pushes pads apart. Adjust that so it pushes harder.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Here's a good write-up on brake job. See if you can find a potential source for your noise.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ke-pads-2.html
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:46 PM

i will check that this week sometime, any more info from anyone will be useful, thanks guys
Old Mar 15, 2018, 02:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Ive had similar, the disc grind was the brake pistions not going all the way back, put new pads on, cleaned, moved back and forth with screw driver, it went away eventually, the bang on the left shock was the old lose top hat, known problem issue, i ignored that
Old Mar 15, 2018, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jonno99
Ive had similar, the disc grind was the brake pistions not going all the way back, put new pads on, cleaned, moved back and forth with screw driver, it went away eventually, the bang on the left shock was the old lose top hat, known problem issue, i ignored that
yeah im going to check the pistons tomorrow, i dont think the caliper is sticking cause the car will roll back on a slight hill in neutral. But they might not be going back all the way so ill have to check it. ive noticed some rotational lines in that rotor also which doesnt look natural. Same thing on the old rotors before i changed them. i dont have the top hat on it anymore because im running the fortune autos. When i lift hood, i can see the top of the coilovers rather than the rubber piece from stock shocks.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 04:29 AM

here is a link of the video where you can hear the noise, im just rolling backwards in neutral. Car is in neutral, i release the brake and begin to roll backwards (please try to ignore the seat belt beeping). The sound is much less noticeable going forward.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 04:32 AM

here is another one without the seat belt beeping. same spot, same scenario....
Old Mar 15, 2018, 06:17 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by c.scatena
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AADA09B24s

here is another one without the seat belt beeping. same spot, same scenario....
Well, you certainly were not exaggerating the grinding noise issue.

Were you in reverse gear in the last Vid or just coasting backwards? & foot off the brake?

Is your E-brake working properly? Wonder if your e-brake mechanism is causing this grinding inside the rear drum. Has the rear drum been removed lately?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Noise coming from brakes and/or suspension...need help!!!