Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

*Need some help* central door lock acting weird!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*Need some help* central door lock acting weird!!

Hey guys, I tried to search something that can relate to my problem but I have no luck. So I’m doing this thread. Any help and advise I’d appreciate it.

So a couple days ago I disconnected my battery to reset my SES by disconnecting the positive terminal (I know, I should’ve done the negative instead, lesson learned) and left it overnight.
The next morning I went and connect the +terminal back to the battery and PUFF!!(medium spark&smoke) and I was like uh-oh that can’t be good. I tightened them up and got in the car and start it, everything seems to be working normal.

I checked all the lights, power windows, wiper, headlights, radio, cig light, it all look normal. Except yesterday, my central power lock quit working and for some reason if I roll down any windows, it starts to lock all the doors. So I turned off the car and started it back up, the power lock button works again. But only for one time use and went dead again and goes back to the windows.

So it’s been kinda on and off since then, not sure what’s wrong and where to look beside the fuse box under the hood and under steering column

And also when I get out from the car and close the door it will automatically lock all the doors. Now it gets to the point I have to lock and unlock the doors manually, so annoying.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:50 PM

Okay, so I just unlocked the car with the key (it also still unlock all doors if I turn the key twice), went in, closed the door, key still not in the ignition. And I tried presssing the unlock switch and all the door locks clicks like how it supposed to, did it twice and then Boom! It automatically locks by itself out of nowhere and now the switch doesn’t work at all lock or unlock. Also, if I only press the lock switch once in the beginning it will lock and automatically locks again out of nowhere and switch doesn’t work again.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 02:15 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
when you use the key in the driver door does it unlock the other doors? I had an issue with the sensor on the lock cylinder itself in the driver door causing havoc with my door locks. Might be worth opening up the door and checking the wiring and that the sensor is properly secured on the door lock cylinder. The spark and "puff" of smoke was probably just some amps arcing on the battery terminal, no big deal. There are some capacitors in the cars electronics and when the car has been disconnected for a while those drain and when you reconnect it sucks up some juice real quick.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 02:43 PM

Yes sir, it works to unlock the driver’s door and turn twice to unlock all doors from outside. I’m not to savvy with electrical issue, I was suspecting a short somewhere when the battery went Kaboom! and causing the issue.
i just thought the arch wasn’t like the small arch like normal but it actually was a big spark and smoke, made me jump out for a sec because of it.
It’s weird that the window switches on the drivers door initiate the locking and shut off the lock switch itself.
Perhaps I’ll borrow a multimeter and watch on YouTube how to use it.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by EvoluznCT9A
Yes sir, it works to unlock the driver’s door and turn twice to unlock all doors from outside. I’m not to savvy with electrical issue, I was suspecting a short somewhere when the battery went Kaboom! and causing the issue.
i just thought the arch wasn’t like the small arch like normal but it actually was a big spark and smoke, made me jump out for a sec because of it.
It’s weird that the window switches on the drivers door initiate the locking and shut off the lock switch itself.
Perhaps I’ll borrow a multimeter and watch on YouTube how to use it.
Yah to solve this problem will probably require some electrical troubleshooting. It could be that something shorted and caused the bigger spark, if you suspect that you should check fuses, but its probably not related to the locks.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 02:58 PM

Also, whenever I press the switch to roll down any windows except the passenger side window, when I let off the switch it will trigger all the doors to lock. And the lock switch itself still not working
Old Apr 21, 2018, 03:01 PM

Yea definitely, either I gotta learn about the electrical basic to troubleshoot it myself or find a help from someone that knows.
I was also thinking if it’s a blown fuse then the power locks or the windows wouldn’t even work at all, so I suspect a broken wire or something
Old Apr 21, 2018, 03:06 PM

Also I forgot to mention, the second time the issue occurred, my power locks and window was working like normal but for no reason my driver side door speaker not working until I drove, turned off the car and started it back up and the speakers was working again and the power lock started acting up again(facepalm).
Old Apr 21, 2018, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by EvoluznCT9A
Also I forgot to mention, the second time the issue occurred, my power locks and window was working like normal but for no reason my driver side door speaker not working until I drove, turned off the car and started it back up and the speakers was working again and the power lock started acting up again(facepalm).
sounds like the issue is with the switch module in the door or maybe one of its associated harnesses. I would inspect the connectors that come out of the door in the driver kick area and the module itself for any obvious problems. The speaker thing could point more to a harness issue.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Or possibly, if an 8, the kick panel electrical gremlin. Been raining or wet roads??
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Electrical Gremlins also apply to Evo 7 and 9 (not only 8), I can unfortunately tell from direct experience.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...s-how-fix.html
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everyone. New to the forum and would like to seek some assistance. i kidna have a similar problem here. 1 week ago, I noticed that my door wouldn't lock using the key fob. I later found out that the central switch wouldn't lock the driver door either. So here are the things I did so far, replaced and test driver actuator (working fine), check the White cable for continuity from ETACS to the actuator plug (working fine), replaced the central Switch (still the same problem. Just so you all know, all other 3 doors are locking and unlocking using the Key fob and the central switch. Also replaced the ETACS box still the same. I'm out of option, expect driving this car to the dealer and I know it will be hefty!
Old Jun 9, 2018, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Evoguy8
Hello everyone. New to the forum and would like to seek some assistance. i kidna have a similar problem here. 1 week ago, I noticed that my door wouldn't lock using the key fob. I later found out that the central switch wouldn't lock the driver door either. So here are the things I did so far, replaced and test driver actuator (working fine), check the White cable for continuity from ETACS to the actuator plug (working fine), replaced the central Switch (still the same problem. Just so you all know, all other 3 doors are locking and unlocking using the Key fob and the central switch. Also replaced the ETACS box still the same. I'm out of option, expect driving this car to the dealer and I know it will be hefty!
So, you replaced the driver's door lock actuator with a new one? I ask because the driver's door actuator gets the most use and is always the first to fail.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My actuator is working by placing a power source the motor actually runs. So my initial diagnostics is not the actuator.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Evoguy8
My actuator is working by placing a power source the motor actually runs. So my initial diagnostics is not the actuator.
Will it actuate the lock with your external power source or are you testing it out of the car?

Quick Reply: *Need some help* central door lock acting weird!!