Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

New Evo IX RS owner

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 04:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
New Evo IX RS owner

Hey guys. I've posted on the regional forums and posted pics in the evo show and shine section, but I realized I have not posted on here to introduce myself. My name is Kevin, and I am 25 years old, from long island New York, but am currently living in the Raleigh / Durham area of NC. I served in the Marine Corps from 2012 to 2016 and was honorably discharged as a sergeant (E-5). I was stationed at Camp Pendleton in southern California for nearly my entire enlistment. It was absolutely wonderful out there. I got to meet some really great people and I got to experience the amazing car culture that exists there. I would see evos all the time but I just couldn't afford one while I was in, so instead I purchased and paid off a 2009 Cobalt SS sedan. That car is currently has FBO and made 292/368 at the wheels on 91 prior to an upgraded intercooler. If you've ever seen TJ Hunt's youtube video for the "Tokyo Drift" meet, you can see my cobalt and my buddies Audi S5 briefly in the beginning. Now that I am no longer active duty, and make a little bit more money, I have finally purchased my dream car about a month and a half ago. It is an evo ix rs in wicked white with 100k miles and I purchased it from a dealership in Chicago and had it shipped down to me in NC (I had a friend from boot that lived up in the area and visited and test drove the car for me prior to purchasing). I have since had the car brought down to Force-Fed Performance down in Fayetteville and had them inspect, and perform the 100k maintenance along with replacing the bushings with Energy bushings. The car currently has a boost leak at the throttle body seal, so it's running a bit slower than it should, but I will get that fixed in time. Forced Fed was able to tell me that the car currently has few mods, but nothing crazy. It has a Competition Clutch(unsure stage), Mishimoto Radiator, K&N Intake, ARP head studs, Greddy Cams (unsure, but probably the easycams) and had the autolite spark plugs that were in the car replaced with Denso spark plugs. My goal for the car is 500whp and to auto cross it when I have the time. I am currently looking for suggestions for Turbo Back Exhausts (Street legal), throttle bodies (Skunk2 has been suggested), Fuel pumps (plan on going E85) and any other suggestions to help me get to that 500whp goal. So far I have plastidipped the Mitsubishi front badge red, installed new OEM style mirrors (For some reason they were white mirrors that were plasti-dipped black and were faded heavily) and installed hood dampers. I am going to be updating my Instagram page with anymore work done to the car. If you guys want to follow, my username is @AKillEaze. Glad to be here and looking forward to the future!

The following users liked this post:
rane (Jun 10, 2018)
Old Jun 4, 2018, 04:55 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Kevin

Welcome aboard & thanks for introducing yourself. I have the same EvO LOL

Im a die hard RS fan & really have enjoyed my ride for the last 10 years.

Hey, Make sure you post up in the RS thread, please
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ry-thread.html

As far as TBE's ive been running a very nicely built Invidia N1 3" system

Joe

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Jun 4, 2018 at 05:48 PM.
AKillEaze (Jun 21, 2018)
Old Jun 4, 2018, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
welcome and yes RSs FTW... also have an RS myself. The few, the proud.. the Evos with no power windows!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 02:07 PM

@MinusPrevious My biggest concern is I want to keep the car street legal. I had issues with my cobalt for smog in california and I don't want to deal with the headache of trying to find a guy to be able to pass emissions for me.

@Astro_Train So far its everything I wanted it to be, loud, aggresive, etc. LOL

So far the car has been great, a few headaches because of needing to replace a few things right away. I also need to figure out the P0011 and P0420 codes and get them fixed. I had the car taken to the Mitsubishi dealership this morning to get that airbag recall done. Hopefully no more issues for a while!

Last edited by AKillEaze; Jun 5, 2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 02:17 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by AKillEaze
@MinusPrevious My biggest concern is I want to keep the car street legal. I had issues with my cobalt for smog in california and I don't want to deal with the headache of trying to find a guy to be able to pass emissions for me.

So far the car has been great, a few headaches because of needing to replace a few things right away. I also need to figure out the P0011 and P0420 codes and get them fixed. I had the car taken to the Mitsubishi dealership this morning to get that airbag recall done. Hopefully no more issues for a while!
Yeah, totally understand. Im in So. Cal & have to fight the Smog registration every 2 years. My car is too modded to pass w/out creating some labor intensive work

If you have any questions, please let us know
Old Jun 10, 2018, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Welcome, and very nice ride!

I'm the exact opposite of all these RS folks. I insisted on all the bells and whistles and went for an MR with all the extra SE goodies.

Best part about where I live? No emissions testing
Old Jun 11, 2018, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by rane
Welcome, and very nice ride!

I'm the exact opposite of all these RS folks. I insisted on all the bells and whistles and went for an MR with all the extra SE goodies.

Best part about where I live? No emissions testing

Thanks! To be honest, I really wanted to get an MR as well. I had been talking to a few people about a RR MR. But I ultimately chose the RS because I had scouted it out for a few months and noticed that it had been listed for sale for a while at the dealership. After I had my friend go inspect the car, I came in with a reasonable low ball offer and after a week or so, they accepted. So far the RS is everything I wanted it to be which I'm extremely happy about. As for the emissions, If I lived 20 minutes south, I could avoid it all together, but I'm already a decent commute from my job, so an extra 20 mins was fairly out of the picture.

One of the biggest things I had not really noticed in the pictures, but noticed right away is a fairly big dent on the driver side door pillar. It looks like someone had tried to fix it, but it's very noticeable. Does anyone know what this part of the door is called, and is it possible to get just this part replaced or would I need to replace the entire door? Whenever I try and find something similar, it's just the tape. Not my car in the picture, just the first decent one I found on google images.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by AKillEaze
Thanks! To be honest, I really wanted to get an MR as well. I had been talking to a few people about a RR MR. But I ultimately chose the RS because I had scouted it out for a few months and noticed that it had been listed for sale for a while at the dealership. After I had my friend go inspect the car, I came in with a reasonable low ball offer and after a week or so, they accepted. So far the RS is everything I wanted it to be which I'm extremely happy about. As for the emissions, If I lived 20 minutes south, I could avoid it all together, but I'm already a decent commute from my job, so an extra 20 mins was fairly out of the picture.

One of the biggest things I had not really noticed in the pictures, but noticed right away is a fairly big dent on the driver side door pillar. It looks like someone had tried to fix it, but it's very noticeable. Does anyone know what this part of the door is called, and is it possible to get just this part replaced or would I need to replace the entire door? Whenever I try and find something similar, it's just the tape. Not my car in the picture, just the first decent one I found on google images.

that at is parts of the actual door, non removable.
AKillEaze (Jun 21, 2018)
Old Jun 21, 2018, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by GSX_TO_EVO

that at is parts of the actual door, non removable.

Damn, that's what I wasn't hoping for. Thanks for the response!
Old Jun 21, 2018, 06:09 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
welcome, the first evo I ever encountered was an WW RS. Decided I wanted one after taking that for a drive. While the dent might need some body work to repair, you can replace these

https://stmtuned.com/collections/mit...r-tape-evo-8-9
Old Jun 21, 2018, 06:25 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

^^^Thats just the decal. Maybe thats what you meant?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 06:33 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
^^^Thats just the decal. Maybe thats what you meant?
yah it is, for the after body work if its required.