Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

MA driver going back to an Evo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 07:41 AM
Cks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MA driver going back to an Evo

Hey everyone, just wanted to stop in here and introduce myself and give a back story! I also wanted to talk about what the scene is like in my area.

So, in 2010 I purchased my first evo, I grabbed a 2003 and I absolutely loved it. At the time I lived in El Paso TX while active duty in the army, the car scene was absolutely incredible down there and there was always something going on, like cars and coffee, and cruises. In 2013 when I moved back home to MA to go to college, I brought my baby with me, and I drove it 2400 miles home (boy was that a lot of gas money). Well, I got home in late April, and got to enjoy my Evo in MA for a whole 3 weeks, while driving to the store on a Wednesday, a lady flew through a stop sign and t-boned me. The car wasn't totaled (it basically was, no idea why the insurance company tried to rescue it). After 6 weeks I got the car back, it did not drive the same, and I was pretty dissatisfied with the job that was done. A week after getting it back I parked at the orange line station to get into Boston (I parked in the absolute back), when I got back 6~7 hours later the cars front end was completely smashed in, engine bay completely collapsed. When I got the security footage, it showed a Uhaul backing into my car and driving off, insurance thankfully covered it and I got a nice little payout. I was fairly certain that car was cursed, the poor thing got hit so much when I wasn't around, even though I went to great length to protect it.

Well, I was in college, and I wasn't really able to get into another Evo, I ended up getting a Volkswagen GLI, which was the biggest piece of **** of a car i have ever owned (2012). The car Had transmission problem (it was a stick) about a year after I bought it that completely plagued the car, I couldn't believe how poor the quality of the gear box was. Well fast forward after 3 years of torturing myself driving that hunk of garbage, I graduate college a year early! and get a great job right out of college. I was debating getting a new Evo, but it was 2015 and I was craving my first new buy, I didnt like the final edition Evo X (couldn't find any with recaros) so I got a custom order 2016 STI. The car was fun, but it felt kind of soulless, it didnt have that spunk the evos I had driven through the years. On top of that, the insurance was absolutely insane, I was pay nearly $900 a month on insurance and car payment alone. My GF and I had decided to move closer to Boston, and since the car was a huge anchor in terms of expense, coupled with the fact the Subaru scene was pretty bad, and the car overall just wasn't that fun, I decided to sell it and pick up an economy car. I ended up settling on a 2014 ford focus SE, which I still currently drive. The car is alright, boring af, and doesn't really help with hobbies (hiking/rockclimbing/snowboarding), and is super limiting. Luckily, the car is great, and my GF is having car issues, so we decided to have her take over the last 3 years on the loan, and I would get a 2008-2010 Evo X since the insurance is so cheap for me ($85 a month instead of $390 on the STI). I am super excited to get in the market for another Evo, it will serve me well in the winter for snowboarding, and provide me with fun in the summer!

So, since I've never owned an X, I was wondering what everyone's take on the different models are? Do people prefer the GSR to the MR? I've almost exclusively driven stick, with the exception of the current focus. Budget isn't really an issue, since the cars in that year range seem to mostly be going for under 20k, which is where I want to stay price point wise. I would love to hear peoples feedback on this while I shop around for a car, 5 speed would be fun since I've been driving 6 speeds (VW/STI) for a while now, but I will have a decent amount of city traffic driving to work. Also, what are some of the big issues I will be seeing from an X with 70k+ miles on it? I need to prepare myself for the inevitable costs with a higher mileage car.

In terms of car scene in MA, are there any groups (facebook/twitter/forums) that are exclusively Evos/rallyarts? or is the scene mostly mixed around here. I did some get together with some of subi guys around here, it was fun, but it was over fast and no one ever wanted to go for cruises. I would love to get in contact with some people! join groups etc.

In terms of tuning and shops, what do people recommend in the Burlington area? I can easily get to Worcester/Boston/north shore areas for shops. Obviously I wouldn't want to get killed in terms of price, but I am a firm advocate of "you get what you pay for". I wont be doing an insane amount of work, but I will want to lower it (fully adjustable suspension) and probably intake/exhaust/piping/intercooler, nothing crazy.

Well, I know it was a long read, but I look forward to all the feedback, and I look forward to getting into an X in the next month or two!
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
With a high mileage X, if driven in salt it is likely that the ACD hydraulic pump will die and need replaced. Mitsubishi does warranty them out to 100k miles now though. Other than that I have a 52k mile Evo that has been modded and beat around pretty bad, all by me. It has been pretty reliable other than the pump issue. I've blown on spark plug once but no harm done. A conservatively modded car that has seen regular maintainence shouldn't give you any issues unless you get a lemon.

I think most of us here have the GSR. It's the cheaper and more popular option. Not only because of cost but also moddability. It can handle torque and power than the auto can without mods.

The following users liked this post:
Cks (Jun 21, 2018)
Old Jun 21, 2018, 02:53 PM
Cks

That does help a lot, I will likely be on the lookout for a GSR with under 100k miles (not to hard).
Old Jun 21, 2018, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Cks
That does help a lot, I will likely be on the lookout for a GSR with under 100k miles (not to hard).
Be willing to travel and drive it home. Heck anything under 1000 miles is a small road trip. If it were me I'd get something from a non snow state that way you can kill it yourself.
Cks (Jun 22, 2018)
Old Jun 21, 2018, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Get this one - man oh man what a beauty https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ode1=LANCEREVO
Cks (Jun 22, 2018)
Old Jun 22, 2018, 05:24 AM
Cks

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Get this one - man oh man what a beauty https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ode1=LANCEREVO
I'm actually looking for a 2008-2011 due to insurance being nearly 1/4 the cost for me, a fender bender from 5 years ago still ****ing me over unfortunately, should be better once im married next year!
Old Jun 22, 2018, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cks
I'm actually looking for a 2008-2011 due to insurance being nearly 1/4 the cost for me, a fender bender from 5 years ago still ****ing me over unfortunately, should be better once im married next year!
On those years make sure they changed the timing chain, it was revised in 2012+ so is something to be aware of. Good luck with your search they are great cars.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 05:53 AM
Cks

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
On those years make sure they changed the timing chain, it was revised in 2012+ so is something to be aware of. Good luck with your search they are great cars.
Thank you! My list of "make sures" are the plastic pullies and timing chains, were those recalls or do you have to take care of them yourself?
Old Jun 22, 2018, 06:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't think the chains were covered on any recalls.

Also, if you get the pump covered under warranty, seriously think about relocating it to the trunk. that's the only way to save the pump from failing again, which it will.
Cks (Jun 22, 2018)
Old Jun 22, 2018, 06:34 AM
Cks

Originally Posted by ChipperEvo
I don't think the chains were covered on any recalls.

Also, if you get the pump covered under warranty, seriously think about relocating it to the trunk. that's the only way to save the pump from failing again, which it will.
If I cant get it covered, do you rough estimates for just getting it replaced, and what it costs to get relocated to the trunk? Obviously longevity would be the ultimate goal for me, and this vehicle will be used as the way to get me to the mountains and snowboarding/hiking/rock climbing all that jazz.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

for the chain, I was quoted 800 bucks from a local shop (dealer wanted almost 2000 grand lol).

For the relocation kit, I don't know if they still sell them but Driven Fab has a kit for 400 bucks. the kit is stupid easy to install. The only pain is bleeding the lines and the pump after the relocation but Driven Fab instructions have steps on how to bleed it without going to the stealership.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

Oh but keep in mind you do have to drill holes to mount the relocation kit in the trunk.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 09:22 AM
Cks

Originally Posted by ChipperEvo
Oh but keep in mind you do have to drill holes to mount the relocation kit in the trunk.
Drilling holes in my trunk

Shouldnt be too hard if the instructions are pretty clear, if the pumps in good shape ill relocate it asap once I get a car. As for the chain, thats pretty brutal, any recommended after market parts that are stronger than OEM?
Old Jun 22, 2018, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

no need for aftermarket, the revised stock chain is sufficient it has another set of links to it so is much stronger. Just get it done by a shop that knows their *** from their elbow when it comes to EVO's