Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Which Evo to buy?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which Evo to buy?

I have the option of importing an Evo from japan to Ontario. The intent is a track toy eventually. My options are Evo VII GSR, Evo VIII GSR and Evo VIII MR. I know the 6 speed is weak and i would be switching to a 5 speed if i get an VIII. what are the other differences that i have to consider? I'm also not able to find a website that gives me the differences of JDM Evos between generations, any guides to refer to?
The following users liked this post:
MinusPrevious (Jun 23, 2018)
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:41 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Welcome & thanks for posting

We dont have much info on JDM specs but heres a thread on the EvO models & options

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/718817-here-info-colors-options-option-packages-each-evo-8-9-model-year.html

inslwmo (Jun 23, 2018)
Old Jun 22, 2018, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I just rebought my 2005 SSL Package Evo 8

Love the interior and was looking for something a little more luxurious vs the standard evo 8 interior
Old Jun 23, 2018, 05:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by inslwmo
I have the option of importing an Evo from japan to Ontario. The intent is a track toy eventually. My options are Evo VII GSR, Evo VIII GSR and Evo VIII MR. I know the 6 speed is weak and i would be switching to a 5 speed if i get an VIII. what are the other differences that i have to consider? I'm also not able to find a website that gives me the differences of JDM Evos between generations, any guides to refer to?
Best bet?
High mileage uncrashed EVO IX from japan auction if you intend to just track it
They can be had for sub Y1M yen with like 200k KM++, they do pop up time to time on auction
But I don't really get the point of doing this when you can get CT9A in US
Why not drive a LHD car in LHD country when possible?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 07:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVOFans
Best bet?
High mileage uncrashed EVO IX from japan auction if you intend to just track it
They can be had for sub Y1M yen with like 200k KM++, they do pop up time to time on auction
But I don't really get the point of doing this when you can get CT9A in US
Why not drive a LHD car in LHD country when possible?
The Evo iX is not eligible to be imported yet into Canada due to the 15 year rule. I will have to wait another 2 or 3 years to do that. From what i could gather the CT9A in Japan got AYC and front LSD. It is also cheaper to get a clean stock one from Japan compared to US market. I do have a lot experience driving a RHD car and since its mainly a track toy, it will be not be used on the road a lot so the LHD is not a big factor for me.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
1. You should get a never driven in snow/road salt Evo . Unless you like dealing with rust.
2. I would stick to a US Evo that don't have ACD, unless it was converted to non ACD tcase. The Japanese evo's I believe come standard with ACD and AYC. The ACD pump is just another part that can fail. Snow/salt driven Evos will have shorter life span. My previous Evo IX ACD pump failed at 38K miles because of the corrosion . Some out there might still have the original working ACD pump but you don't know how much longer it will last 1 mile, 10k , 100k etc . The small gains of ACD is not worth it in my opinion.
3. Miles are not as important as condition. I rather have 100k mile Evo in excellent condition than a 30k mile Evo in poor to ok condition.

inslwmo (Jun 23, 2018)
Old Jun 23, 2018, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by inslwmo
The Evo iX is not eligible to be imported yet into Canada due to the 15 year rule. I will have to wait another 2 or 3 years to do that. From what i could gather the CT9A in Japan got AYC and front LSD. It is also cheaper to get a clean stock one from Japan compared to US market. I do have a lot experience driving a RHD car and since its mainly a track toy, it will be not be used on the road a lot so the LHD is not a big factor for me.
Just get anything that is cheapest
You can always retrofit MIVEC, aluminum roof, convert to 5MT and convert to RS differential