Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Who stuffed my rotors?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2018, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who stuffed my rotors?

Hi there,

My Evo X Final Edition’s stock brake pads were running low. I recently took my own new brake pads to the dealership for servicing and installing the new pads. The dealership outsourced the 'disk machining' job to some workshop (to my knowledge it’s a business for normal cars but not performance car workshop) because the rotor has to be machined first before installing the new pads. The workshop guys said to the dealership staff that 'the metal part of the rotor is too strong to be machined, we have to slow down' (quoting what the staff told me) to make the process work, but eventually, they failed. The rotor (front one) surface is not flat (described as the wave kind of surface by the dealership staff) after they finished, and it's recommended not to be used. Then, they didn't machine the other front one. The two rear ones were machined. The dealership staff suggests me to get new rotors. The quoted genuine part is $3500 for the two front rotors (I asked that the hats are good - it’s a two piece rotor). However, I suspect that the workshop guys didn't recognise that my rotors were genuine 'performance rotors' which is stronger than the normal vehicle, then they might have miss-operated by applying normal rotor machining process, which damaged my rotor. I don't have a way to prove this at the moment, but after consulting with my car club guys, motorsport people and my mechanics, I believe that I have reasonable doubts that this outsourced workshop should be at fault. This results in that I lost two front rotors that should have more than half of its lifetime and I'm worried about the safety of the rear ones.

I got my car in Feb 2016, only daily driving and hill cruise, but not track days. It’s done 33000 km atm.

What at do you think? Is it the workshop who stuffed my rotor?

The images show the damaged rotor. The ‘cuts’ look rough.

Last edited by mrmiller; Jul 14, 2018 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Be accurate
Old Jul 14, 2018, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I got a spare used set of front Evo X MR 2 piece rotors for sale for $200.00 plus S&H if you want an extra set cheap.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
I would definitely favour filing a lawsuit for this if I were in your shoes, and aiming to settle it by asking the dealership to give me a set of Girodisc rotors. Girodisc rotors are cheaper, lighter, and better. In this way everyone is better off.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
WAFJ. The rotor is no harder than any other rotor. They tried to make too deep of a cut with the tool moving too quickly. The place that machined those rotors ****ed up and owes you a set of rotors.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jesus what a ****ing amateur mistake. Looks like they used a dull tool and ran it way too deep. In my exp resurfacing rotors is not really something that is done anymore. you clean up the rotors and then bed the pads in, or you just replace the rotors with the pads. There is no real reason on a street car that you HAVE to resurface a rotor when replacing pads unless you waited way too long and the rotor surface was damaged.

Someone owes you new rotors, If the OEM ones are $3500 then I would try and get them to pay for some girodisk 2 piece rotors. (although this won't likely happen)

Get in touch with the service manager at the dealership and ask him how he wants to make this right. Let him make the first move, then weigh your options. If he is willing to pay for it all, then no need to get all judge judy on the ****.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 02:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
I'd hate to see what that shop does to flywheels
Old Jul 17, 2018, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
For $3500 you can a really nice big break kit, that’s ridiculous over priced!!!
Old Jul 17, 2018, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ctfpevoVIII
For $3500 you can a really nice big break kit, that’s ridiculous over priced!!!
when its 2018 and *@$#%$# are still confusing Break and Brake

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Jul 17, 2018 at 07:52 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 09:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Zergburger
when its 2018 and *@$#%$# are still confusing Break and Brake
I mean, you're right, but was it really necessary to put him on blast like that?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:39 AM
EvoM Guru

I knew what he meant. Not like he was trying to articulate some complex subject matter where spelling might matter..
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:54 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
We all made it past 2nd grade and should know how to spell.
Voice to text does that to me sometimes, though.

Dealership owes you rotors. I can't believe they are trying to pass the cost on to you.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
We all made it past 2nd grade and should know how to spell.
Voice to text does that to me sometimes, though.

Dealership owes you rotors. I can't believe they are trying to pass the cost on to you.
The bolded word makes it believable...lol. Most dealers will gladly make someone unhappy and likely to never come back over $20. Let alone $3500. Not surprised at all. With enough pushing, he'll likely be able to get this handled though.

The better question is how does a dealership not have a brake lathe in their shop..
Old Jul 18, 2018, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Hey guys I’m sorry I misspelled that , my bad but can’t I just get a brake lol
Old Jul 18, 2018, 05:03 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by ctfpevoVIII
Hey guys I’m sorry I misspelled that , my bad but can’t I just get a brake lol
We only really care about busting your ***** None of us take anything too serious around here haha.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The better question is how does a dealership not have a brake lathe in their shop..
Dealerships long ago became parts replacement shops. It's rare they actually fix anything, even outside of warranty, any more.