Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Long time, no see. I'm baaaack! (Evo V)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long time, no see. I'm baaaack! (Evo V)

I used to have a 2004 BBY Evo VIII that I owned from 2007 - 2015 and in that time, transformed from a daily driver to a HPDE track car.

https://imgur.com/a/0myYF

Since then, I have moved to Costa Rica and couldn't help but take a bite of that forbidden fruit. After a year and eight months of living here, finally bought myself a car. Here is my favorite Evo, my dandelion yellow Evo V:

https://imgur.com/a/wnLT2dq

It was originally white but painted yellow this past year and was converted to LHD a few years ago as that is sadly a requirement here, as it now has a Lancer steering rack which isn't nearly as responsive. Double unfortunately, OEM LHD Evo 5/6 steering racks are extremely hard to come by and extremely expensive. I honestly might just bite the bullet and pick one up now while I still can and if I ever do a big job in the future where the engine or tranny needs to be pulled, that would be a good time to swap it in. Until then, I'll deal since it's not going to be a track car. I plan to keep it as is in terms of power mods, which is pretty similar to my VIII. I still haven't gotten under the car to inspect everything but on the surface we have a IX turbo, VIII internals (according to the prior owner), intake, pretty much all intercooler pipes, an intercooler, Hallman MBC, Tial BOV an open dump O2 housing and test pipe. Dyno chart shows 325hp 333 torque, which seem a little on the high side but whatever.

Visually, I'm pretty happy with it. The body isn't perfect but is in great shape for 20 years old and is way better than my VIII was. The biggest thing I want to do is add the rear garnish reflector pieces to the trunk which will require bodyshop cutting as I don't want to swap trunks and the wing just for that. Up front I want to swap to stock headlights with amber corners and remove the HIDs that appear to be in the headlights and fogs. The splitter thing is going to go along with the bumper/fender tie thingy (whatever those are called). I wouldn't mind picking up some stock VI OZ wheels and and maybe one day I'll re-arrange and re-mount the gauges different but that's minor stuff.

For now, I'm going to do all of the basic maintenance (change the spark plugs, all fluids and inspect/torque the suspension pieces) and enjoy it.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
Shes a beaut, i love the front splitter on it, if it could fit a 9 i would take it off your hands. She looks great one day i wil have a stable of Evolutions (maybe)
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how is the car scene down there ?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apexisilver8gsr
how is the car scene down there ?
Not bad, there are some surprisingly nice gems but also a lot of riced out junk as well. Of course, there's also some of the "forbidden fruit" we never had in the US, so you'll see an R33 Skyline or GC8 STI.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Doug! It's James Davis from No Sto. Nice to see you back!