Notices
ECU Flash

Novice trying to find my ROM ID using Hex

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Novice trying to find my ROM ID using Hex

hi guys im new to the whole ecuflash im trying to learn this and have searched many of many of threads, one i just cant grasp hexidecimal and trying to decode it, something just isnt clicking, but essentially im just trying to find my current ROM ID so i can look at my current tuned maps to start learning more, i got to the point of trying to download the ROM image, but i get the unknown ROM image, but i did save the file and opened it up in the hex editor, but going from there is about where im stuck at cuz i cant read a damn thing, i did search through the forums and i did see where the ROM ID would be in Hex. Im not trying to mess with my tune just trying to further my knowledge, tuning EFI is one of my goals its been a long time coming any help would be awesome.

02 03 04 05
0000F50 65 5D 25 4E

if someone can point me in the right direction please i would greatly appreciate it.

Ricky
The following users liked this post:
ravasquez (Jun 26, 2019)
Old Aug 15, 2018, 06:22 PM

so i did some more studing trying to understand hexidecimal, if address 0000F50 at column 02,03,04,05 indicate my ROM id in hex am i assuming if i did this right that 65 5D 25 4E would convert to 101933778 as my ROM id? please any gurus out there?

Ricky
Old Aug 17, 2018, 08:12 AM

Anyone? I hate to be rude but this has been super frustrating ever since i started with evos, not sure if this forum has just kinda dwindled due to the age of our cars, but i Just finished my build not to long ago, have tried to make an appointment with a tuner i really want my car tuned by several timesl and then another one i tried to get a hold of, and have basically been ignored or forgoten or just dont get a reply, i literally cant even make a strict scheduled date, and now its at a point im forcing myself to learn the ECUFLASH and have an issue that i think out of everyone on here i can get at least one answer or maybe a point in the direction of someone who can just get me over this hump im in, so i cant even get a tune or even get into my ecu im pretty much dead in the water. Again sorry for being rude but the frustration is real.

ricky
Old Aug 17, 2018, 08:36 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
your just trying to do this in a weird way which is why you probably aren't getting too much traction. Why don't you just download all the XML's it could possibly be into your metadata folder and then it will probably work. There really arent that many. If by some chance you have one that doesn't have an XML defined for it available online then you are gonna have to move to something else anyway to be able to tune.

Here yah go:
https://evoecu.logic.net/wiki/Downloads

Sorry those are just roms, let me try and find some xml's

Second edit...super weird it seems the usual places have pulled them down. I wonder if Mitsubishi went around and DMCA'd everyone or something.

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Aug 17, 2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
your just trying to do this in a weird way which is why you probably aren't getting too much traction. Why don't you just download all the XML's it could possibly be into your metadata folder and then it will probably work. There really arent that many. If by some chance you have one that doesn't have an XML defined for it available online then you are gonna have to move to something else anyway to be able to tune.

Here yah go:
https://evoecu.logic.net/wiki/Downloads

Sorry those are just roms, let me try and find some xml's

Second edit...super weird it seems the usual places have pulled them down. I wonder if Mitsubishi went around and DMCA'd everyone or something.
thanks for the reply man i know its kinda weird, but i was trying to get to a point to where it would skip all the “did you do this or search this”, i searched found some one who had the similar issue a couple people responded saying if My ROM ID doesn't match what was downloaded then being able to see the HEX data would be able to tell me since i cant downlod my ROM Image but only the raw code. i have all the preloaded XMLs for the 06 Evo IX so this was my next step, reading the raw code to see what it actually is and if this all looks weird, and i think what i was able to decode was correct but the ROM id if decoded has 1 more number which ive never seen or im just doing it wrong. its just frustrating when i have a car that is ready for over 500 on 93 and i cant get a tune by shops i really want it done by. Again really appreciate the reply 🙏🏻

Ricky
Old Aug 17, 2018, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by ricky covel III

thanks for the reply man i know its kinda weird, but i was trying to get to a point to where it would skip all the “did you do this or search this”, i searched found some one who had the similar issue a couple people responded saying if My ROM ID doesn't match what was downloaded then being able to see the HEX data would be able to tell me since i cant downlod my ROM Image but only the raw code. i have all the preloaded XMLs for the 06 Evo IX so this was my next step, reading the raw code to see what it actually is and if this all looks weird, and i think what i was able to decode was correct but the ROM id if decoded has 1 more number which ive never seen or im just doing it wrong. its just frustrating when i have a car that is ready for over 500 on 93 and i cant get a tune by shops i really want it done by. Again really appreciate the reply ����

Ricky
So throwing your hex number into a converter gets me 1700603214 which is way off. If you look at logic.net link i sent it doesn't match any of the roms you could have. Maybe try doing it in reverse by converting the ROM ID of roms you might have to hex and do a find in your rom. Also if your car has been previously tuned you might already have Tephramod loaded on it, so you should try grabbing that xml pack from the tephramod v7 thread and putting those in your metadata folder as well.

I know getting into tuning the stock ecu is tough because there is just so much info out there that its really easy to get deer in the headlights. Some advice would be to just focus on getting onto a V7 rom if you aren't already and starting from there. Also check out Merlin's tuning guide if you haven't already, and the the sticky subforum threads.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
So throwing your hex number into a converter gets me 1700603214 which is way off. If you look at logic.net link i sent it doesn't match any of the roms you could have. Maybe try doing it in reverse by converting the ROM ID of roms you might have to hex and do a find in your rom. Also if your car has been previously tuned you might already have Tephramod loaded on it, so you should try grabbing that xml pack from the tephramod v7 thread and putting those in your metadata folder as well.

I know getting into tuning the stock ecu is tough because there is just so much info out there that its really easy to get deer in the headlights. Some advice would be to just focus on getting onto a V7 rom if you aren't already and starting from there. Also check out Merlin's tuning guide if you haven't already, and the the sticky subforum threads.
appreciate it man yea ive actually printed out merlins guide, read it so many times, it got me to this point but when u come across an issue then its trying to see if theres an answer anywhere, i can tune carbureators no problem but when it comes to EFI its a whole different animal, but downloding TephraS v7 stuff was my next step but i just wanted to see if i was going about this the correct and figuring out the hexadecimal portion just because its something i really need to know and in conjuction with our ECUs, instead of just doing all what i did for nothing and just skipping over just downloading stuff blindly instead of knowing what im downloading why im doing it, and not guessing. Its like getting asked a question “why did you do it that way?” And you have no response but “well i someone told me to do it this way it works but i dont know why.” It drives me nuts lol. And btw the car hs be tuned at least 2-3 different times but both shops are no longer in business so thats kinda why im in the situation im in now, The XML files really have to have a ton of stuff on it because theres a bunch of features on the car that should throw a code but it doesnt. But well see ill at least keep this thread updated, at leadt if someone comes across my same problem it might help em.

thanks again brother you have no idea what i means to me even get a reaponse and help 🙏🏻

Ricky

Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:12 AM

appreciate it man yea ive actually printed out merlins guide, read it so many times, it got me to this point but when u come across an issue then its trying to see if theres an answer anywhere, i can tune carbureators no problem but when it comes to EFI its a whole different animal, but downloding TephraS v7 stuff was my next step but i just wanted to see if i was going about this the correct and figuring out the hexadecimal portion just because its something i really need to know and in conjuction with our ECUs, instead of just doing all what i did for nothing and just skipping over just downloading stuff blindly instead of knowing what im downloading why im doing it, and not guessing. Its like getting asked a question “why did you do it that way?” And you have no response but “well i someone told me to do it this way it works but i dont know why.” It drives me nuts lol. And btw the car hs be tuned at least 2-3 different times but both shops are no longer in business so thats kinda why im in the situation im in now, The XML files really have to have a ton of stuff on it because theres a bunch of features on the car that should throw a code but it doesnt. But well see ill at least keep this thread updated, at leadt if someone comes across my same problem it might help em.

thanks again brother you have no idea what i means to me even get a reaponse and help 🙏🏻

Ricky

Your welcome. I'm the same way, I prefer to learn things from the bottom up too. I never really looked into it, but the ID might actually be a straight up hex number, so no converting. You can try searching your rom for actual rom ID's and see what you get. My guess is you already have a tephramod rom considering what you said about the obd stuff.
ricky covel III (Aug 18, 2018)
Old Aug 18, 2018, 01:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts
hi guys im new to the whole ecuflash im trying to learn this and have searched many of many of threads, one i just cant grasp hexidecimal and trying to decode it, something just isnt clicking, but essentially im just trying to find my current ROM ID so i can look at my current tuned maps to start learning more, i got to the point of trying to download the ROM image, but i get the unknown ROM image, but i did save the file and opened it up in the hex editor, but going from there is about where im stuck at cuz i cant read a damn thing, i did search through the forums and i did see where the ROM ID would be in Hex. Im not trying to mess with my tune just trying to further my knowledge, tuning EFI is one of my goals its been a long time coming any help would be awesome.

02 03 04 05
0000F50 65 5D 25 4E

if someone can point me in the right direction please i would greatly appreciate it.

Ricky
First what is your model Evo?
Evo 6 ROM ID is at address 210-215
Evo 7/8/9 ROM ID is at address F50-F55

The tuner may have obfuscated your ROM ID to make it harder for you to read or change it. Post up a copy of the hex file and I will be happy to take a look.

Last edited by CDrinkH2O; Aug 18, 2018 at 01:34 PM. Reason: added details
ricky covel III (Aug 18, 2018)
Old Aug 18, 2018, 03:07 PM

i actually did find the Rom ID, gosh this is so difficult just to log into this damn thing, i had the SRF file thought i could only read it in the HEX program, but i finally found a couple posts thats had my same issue, it looks like it the Tephra V7 now just trying to go from there, 88590715. let me keep digging, i guess im something isnt clicking in my head to figure out what im missing just to be able to view my ROM image through ECU flash.
Thank you both of you for your responses, i feel like a douche bag now.

Ricky
Old Aug 18, 2018, 03:24 PM

SUCCESS!!!! Finally into my maps praise baby jesus
Old Jun 16, 2019, 02:14 PM

onknown ROM image eclipse ECUFLASH

SUCCESS!!!! Finally into my maps praise baby jesus
Its bin a while sinds you wrote the above but Care 2 share your solution?. Iff got the same problem. rebuild my gst 4g63t engine, now trying to get my maps with ecuflash but cant get in. Im at: onknown ROM image. Did put some Tephra xmls in the folder: C:\Program Files(x86)\OpenECU\EcuFlash\rommetadata\mitsubishi \eclipse but until now no succes

hope you or somebody can help
Old Jun 27, 2019, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan Bouius
Its bin a while sinds you wrote the above but Care 2 share your solution?. Iff got the same problem. rebuild my gst 4g63t engine, now trying to get my maps with ecuflash but cant get in. Im at: onknown ROM image. Did put some Tephra xmls in the folder: C:\Program Files(x86)\OpenECU\EcuFlash\rommetadata\mitsubishi \eclipse but until now no succes

hope you or somebody can help
I'm in a similar situation, did you find anything useful? I don't want to overwrite my current ROM because I don't want to loose the immobilizer
Old Jun 28, 2019, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by ravasquez
I'm in a similar situation, did you find anything useful? I don't want to overwrite my current ROM because I don't want to loose the immobilizer
Can you read bits of your ecu? What program are u using? Ecuflash? I use ecuflash...
I bought xmls here: http://ceddy.us/store/
Then placed them in the rommedata folder under Eclipse, after that, i could reed some bits of my ecu but not all. And i found out that the flashable ecu i bought does not contain correct maps, the fuel map is all weard and also the timing maps doesnt make sense. At ceddy.us There are some downloads for free, i bought the http://ceddy.us/downloads-store/dsm-1v9c-complete/. After making a paypal to the guy he emaild me an zip that also included a base map and he adviced me to save my stock map and burn his one on my ecu and then start tuning. I still cant get in the ecu that was in the car before (so my base map). Im thinking of burning the rom from ceddy.us to my new flashable ecu and go from there using Evoscan to see whats going on..

Hope this helps you a bit further!
ravasquez (Jun 28, 2019)
Old Jun 28, 2019, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan Bouius
Can you read bits of your ecu? What program are u using? Ecuflash? I use ecuflash...
I bought xmls here: http://ceddy.us/store/
Then placed them in the rommedata folder under Eclipse, after that, i could reed some bits of my ecu but not all. And i found out that the flashable ecu i bought does not contain correct maps, the fuel map is all weard and also the timing maps doesnt make sense. At ceddy.us There are some downloads for free, i bought the http://ceddy.us/downloads-store/dsm-1v9c-complete/. After making a paypal to the guy he emaild me an zip that also included a base map and he adviced me to save my stock map and burn his one on my ecu and then start tuning. I still cant get in the ecu that was in the car before (so my base map). Im thinking of burning the rom from ceddy.us to my new flashable ecu and go from there using Evoscan to see whats going on..

Hope this helps you a bit further!
Hi thanks for your reply but Ceddy mods it's for DSM and Evo V and VI my car its a VIII