Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

HKS SSQV4 - Fine or Stay away?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HKS SSQV4 - Fine or Stay away?

Hey Guys,

Curious.. has anyone used the HKS SSQV4 and had any issues?

I have one lying around from my old car I bought brand new. And the adapter is only 40 bucks so I figured why not.

But I’m not really sure if I want to do this, I Figure waiting and just getting a ETS intake with the stock bpv will be awesome.
But I’m curious none the less about this topic.. regardless if I don’t do it

Do our cars not like this BOV or any VTA? Can it hurt it/something go wrong? I’ve spoken to a few people, some of which said it’ll do nothing bad... and some that’s said I can seriously mess my **** up. What are your experiences?

thanks!! (Sorry if this is answered somewhere, I guess my searches didn’t help me much) ❤️
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Evo X needs a recirc BOV, unles the tuner tunes it on speed density, which isn't needed until you're on a big turbo, like something along 700+.

Also, the Tial Q with a 6psi spring has been shown to work REALLY well on the X.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Evo X needs a recirc BOV, unles the tuner tunes it on speed density, which isn't needed until you're on a big turbo, like something along 700+.

Also, the Tial Q with a 6psi spring has been shown to work REALLY well on the X.

Awesome! Thanks man.

Why is it an issue with the X though? Just how the car works/runs?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 01:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Because it has a MAF. Need to keep any metered air in the system.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Because it has a MAF. Need to keep any metered air in the system.
The Evo X uses MAF and MAP doesn’t it?

I figured running a VTA would give a ‘Rich’ condition only when throttle is lifted. This would only happen for a second or so and the engine wouldn’t be under any hard load to cause damage.

Im curious because I’ve been told it’ll ruin things but I’m trying to figure out how it can blow a turbo or worse?

Old Aug 19, 2018, 07:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ran the same bov on my E8 recirculated and it still wasn't as responsive as the MR bov. Worked a treat on my S14 but it really didn't want to work well with the evo.
Venting it to atmo would just result in the occasional back firing on lift off. that may damage the cat if you ran one but personally I didn't find any other damage.
Like I said the response was what suffered running the SSQV
Cheers.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Evo2372
I ran the same bov on my E8 recirculated and it still wasn't as responsive as the MR bov. Worked a treat on my S14 but it really didn't want to work well with the evo.
Venting it to atmo would just result in the occasional back firing on lift off. that may damage the cat if you ran one but personally I didn't find any other damage.
Like I said the response was what suffered running the SSQV
Cheers.
Yes! I figured it wouldn’t do much but a slight response difference.

I like to hear what everyone has to say about this topic

Thanks for your oppinion & info as well!
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
I ran the 1st SSQV BOV more than a decade ago on an 8 and it was VTA. Car had TBE w/no cat, the HKS BOV, and the factory tune. Car used to shoot flames out the back at times, due to how rich it ran. Throttle response suffered. I didn't notice any mechanical ill effects, but from what I recall, I think you run into surge problems with that BOV on a mostly stock car. I sold the car as it was, later on, and I never noticed any mechanical issues.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
FWIW, I would recommend just running a stock BPV with an aftermarket intake if you want the BOV sound. Car will run a lot better that way. Then sell the SSQV to someone else and recoup your dinero spent on the intake.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by kpt6
FWIW, I would recommend just running a stock BPV with an aftermarket intake if you want the BOV sound. Car will run a lot better that way. Then sell the SSQV to someone else and recoup your dinero spent on the intake.
Yeah I 100% see what you’re saying.

Thanks for Input!
Old Aug 22, 2018, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
The HKS SSQV4 has two part numbers. One is for vent to atmosphere (VTA), another is recirc. Get the recirc version of the SSQV4 which works for Evo X, but it is the best to have the car tuned as you change the BOV.