Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Issues with Mishimoto FMIC?

Old Aug 20, 2018, 09:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Issues with Mishimoto FMIC?

Hey Everyone,

Today I decided to replace my stock (yep, still running factory) charge cooler with Mishimoto's OE replacement cooler (Part MMINT-LN-789) for my factory cooler has 146k miles and its seen better days. The car is a 2003 and I have kept it very much stock, minor bolt ons and a tune (makes MAYBE 340whp according to the virtual dyno)

Anyways, after mentioning to a few friends I was planning on installing the new IC next weekend and that it was Mishimoto, it appears they had some serious negative feedback about the product (this is coming from Subaru owners) and to not use Mishimoto for a replacement. To my understandings, since this is a factory replacement, I do not have a high HP car and I am still rocking the OEM piping, this cooler would be fine for the price. I was unable to find much for stock replacements at a reasonable cost, so I went with Mishimoto for I have heard their name frequently in the car community.

Has anyone had any issues with these coolers? I am second guessing if I should cancel my order and just buy a used OEM one.

Thanks!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
You might be able to find some info here.

Maybe you can pick up a blemish ETS IC for a few bucks more or VRSF IC for less than $400. I'm not sure if these will bolt on with the factory IC piping but I do have a MUSE stock route UICP with stock BOV for $40...
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Mishimoto is junk. Their cores suck.

I wouldn't replace the IC for the simple sake of replacing it as it very well may cause the need for a tune when going to an aftermarket unit with more flow/better heat exchange capability vs stock.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 02:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you guys for your feedback! I shall search for a stock one that's less beat up.

Search this Thread