Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Hfc to test pipe - retune needed?

Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hfc to test pipe - retune needed?

Hey everyone

So I had my car tuned a couple of months ago and just got some more parts, like a jmfab manifold and test pipe.. If I were install them would I need a retune? What about just the test pipe? I know going from a full cat to a test pipe will need a retune but not so sure about a hfc. Thanks for any input!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Do you have a boost gauge and wideband? I'd monitor that and log if you have the equipment. You may be ok depending on how conservative the tune you have now. But watch for boost spikes and leaner afr's going to the test pipe due to the more free flowing exhaust. Was the hfc a 100cell? You may be fine I guess it depends on how restrictive the cat was also.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ronaldo9
Do you have a boost gauge and wideband? I'd monitor that and log if you have the equipment. You may be ok depending on how conservative the tune you have now. But watch for boost spikes and leaner afr's going to the test pipe due to the more free flowing exhaust. Was the hfc a 100cell? You may be fine I guess it depends on how restrictive the cat was also.
Yeah got a wideband and boost gauge and evoscan with all the data logging equipment. It is an stm hfc, so I think 200 cell
Old Sep 20, 2018, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
i agree with ronaldo9
Old Sep 20, 2018, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
What turbo are you running?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
What turbo are you running?
It's an old school for green that's been converted to a 73hta
Old Sep 21, 2018, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Do you have a dyno chart of your car's pull? Your biggest risk is on a cold day @ WOT. It is already a risk when tuning is done on warm day and driving hard on cold night, so adding less turbo restriction and you have a big risk of throwing a stock rod on a cold day.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Do you have a dyno chart of your car's pull? Your biggest risk is on a cold day @ WOT. It is already a risk when tuning is done on warm day and driving hard on cold night, so adding less turbo restriction and you have a big risk of throwing a stock rod on a cold day.
The car is on a dual tune 93 and e85.. don't have the graph of e85 but do of the 93

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-dyno-tuning-results/749194-full-bolt-e85-evo-8-a.html
Old Sep 21, 2018, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

The manifold should help spool and test pipe will help spool and top end, so you will risk blowing your engine. Your tuner shouldn't charge you the full amount since he will only adjust for faster spool and top end to keep the torque and AFRs in check. Give your tuner a call and ask for his advice. He should know how aggressive his tune is and tell you if he has enough buffer built into his base maps.
If you are going to risk it and not get a retune, make sure you reset your ECU by disconnecting battery.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

The manifold should help spool and test pipe will help spool and top end, so you will risk blowing your engine. Your tuner shouldn't charge you the full amount since he will only adjust for faster spool and top end to keep the torque and AFRs in check. Give your tuner a call and ask for his advice. He should know how aggressive his tune is and tell you if he has enough buffer built into his base maps.
If you are going to risk it and not get a retune, make sure you reset your ECU by disconnecting battery.
Well once I install all of that of course imma get a retune, but as of now just wanna put on the test pipe for a bit until I get the chance to install the rest of the other stuff.. so i just install the test pipe, should i turn down the boost?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
for just a test pipe alone, i dont think you need to change anything
Old Sep 21, 2018, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4G63_Crazy
Well once I install all of that of course imma get a retune, but as of now just wanna put on the test pipe for a bit until I get the chance to install the rest of the other stuff.. so i just install the test pipe, should i turn down the boost?
I see you're on SD and using Omni boost sensor. I suggest not going WOT if you install your test pipe. Definitely turn down your boost 2-3 psi try and mimic your HFC conditions. Before your next tune, get rid of your Omni, they are know to fail. Make sure you also upgrade your 1000cc injectors, Walbro 255 fuel pump & rewire for dual 8V/14V, and evo 9 DV (starts leaking around 26psi).
Old Sep 21, 2018, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Speed density is risky because our stock ECU don't have the capacity to tune in 3D. My opinion of running SD on stock ECU is that it is a bandaid fix and isn't worth the risk if your car is making under 550-600hp. Sure, it can be made to run, but it isn't as safe as MAF at metering the air going into your engine. I recommend avoiding WOT and if you must, make sure your boost is (at minimum) turned down to where you were tuned.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 01:22 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
With your current setup, I'd retune. An FP Green can move quite a bit of air and freeing up a bit of exhaust restriction could be a substantial change in flow. If the mani is tubular, you will notice a slower spool but better flow at high RPM, so may be in a different part of the fuel/timing maps.
Being SD complicates things a bit more. If the mani is cast, it may (probably) flow enough, especially when paired with the test pipe to be in different load cells.
You can drive around just fine, but try your best to stay out of boost until you get the tuned fixed up.

Search this Thread