Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rear differential horrors. Weir 12 plate, installer error, and more.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 03:55 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Rear differential horrors. Weir 12 plate, installer error, and more.

It's been a crazy ride, so wanted to share. Maybe some of this info will help someone, at some time. I'm placing no blame, only stating facts.

1. I ordered and installed a Weir 12-plate rear diff kit for my Evo 9.
2. I noticed the rear diff wasn't really locking. Even the worn, re-stacked OEM diff worked better. After multiple emails to Weir and posts here, I finally just gave up and decided to pull the part
3. Turns out the diff was installed backward. I have NO idea how as three people confirmed it was facing the right way. Blah blah, whatever, but: it was in wrong.
4. I emailed Weir to let them know what I found. I asked if there was anything I should look out for, seeing how it ran backward for a track day and two autocross events. I also let them know I installed it correctly and the diff is 100% open. Nothing was said about possible damage to the unit and I was told the reason the diff is acting open is because when one of our wheels are in the air, the other will get all the power and spin like crazy. I was advised to stop running stiffer springs in the rear so the car will stop tripodding. I'm not going to comment on any of this, just posting what they told me over the phone.
5. I emailed Weir a number of times, asking for another of their kits. Though I had poor results, I was hoping it was ruining from running backward and, maybe, another kit would get me through until I could have everything built right. The open diff made the car NO fun to drive. I couldn't take it. I never received a response. Good thing, as it turns out.
6. Upon disassembly, this is what I found:

All inner tabs of the disks broken off... embedded in the side cover... pieces of it stuck to the magnet. Yay.
7. I sent the diff to TRE. Upon inspection, the spider gears were damaged, the basket had five cracks and, basically, the only thing left was the ring/pinion. Jon gave me credit for those and we decided to scrap the rest.
8. I bought a used diff to send to TRE. So now I'm adding the cost of that to my bill.
9. Upon inspection, turns out the new/used diff also needs a side cover. I'm not sure why, but a rear cover with sight glass was also added to the tab (I specifically stated I did not want this option, though that was our first conversation and I'm sure Jon will remove it when he sees my email).

At this point, my $750 rebuild has turned into almost $1,500 for the rebuild/12-plate/side cover/used diff/shipping/rear cover.

I'm not blaming Weir, seeing how the kit was installed wrong. I will say that there internet is somewhat littered with similar stories of their kits failing in this exact way. In fact, way back, when I first talked to Jon about all this, he told me Weir kits do this and he advises against them. Hell, everyone does LOL. The plates have no grooves in them, so they get really, really hot and tend to stick together, ripping apart under certain driving conditions. Also, I have to say their reasoning for why my diff didn't work tells me that I can't really put much faith into what they have to say.
But... I couldn't resist that $200 upgrade!
Live and learn.
So, for anyone thinking about buying a Weir 12 plate, consider my story. Be sure it's installed correctly. Good luck and I recommend getting rid of it before you end up replacing the whole ****ing thing. I will never, ever, ever let anyone I know go this route. Thanks to Jon @ TRE and @letsgetthisdone for talking sense into me and reminding me this is a really bad route to take
The following 2 users liked this post by kaj:
Code Monkey (Dec 20, 2018), willitas34 (Dec 27, 2018)
Old Dec 14, 2018, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
@kaj thanks for the heads up! Sucks you had to go through this. Maybe a social media post would be more helpful seeing as this forum is a bit dead. I'm not trying to cause trouble but I imagine you want to spread the word and keep others from going this route.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 05:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The site glass cover is so worth it for $100 or whatever it costs. It 100% ensures the fluid fill level is correct to keep the pinion bearings happy without overfilling the diff because you're not guessing at how much it's "overfilled" like with the stock cover.

I've only taken one diff apart that had a good side cover (I've done more than a few). The upgraded side cover has many benefits beyond the extra strength for launches, so it is a good upgrade as well.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The forum is a bit dead because the the EVO 8 & 9 are a bit dead. My Evo is sixteen years old. As Scotty would say, "That's an old car."

Its ironic, the EVO is the only vehicle I presently have running, my Subaru being dead again and waiting for parts to be shipped thru the Christmas rush.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 05:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by barneyb
The forum is a bit dead because the the EVO 8 & 9 are a bit dead. My Evo is sixteen years old. As Scotty would say, "That's an old car."

Its ironic, the EVO is the only vehicle I presently have running, my Subaru being dead again and waiting for parts to be shipped thru the Christmas rush.
The forum is dead because of social media. The platform is alive and well IMO.
The following 2 users liked this post by LetsGetThisDone:
ctfpevoVIII (Dec 15, 2018), SoSoEVO (Dec 18, 2018)
Old Dec 14, 2018, 06:22 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
What about Jasons issue? (i guess it was more of a forewarning for some of us). Good post for sure!

I dont find EvOM dead at all. Sure IG / FB have pulled some traffic, but what internet platform can you visit that allows the deep search of topic and the categorizing?

You want to see a dead forum, go visit my old local forum (So.Cal EvO), a once very vibrant forum has not had any viable new posts in many, many months. I think EvOM is likely absorbing the traffic from these smaller regionalized forums.

The CT9A is getting long in the tooth but we have the DSM'rs beat by a number of years
The following users liked this post:
SoSoEVO (Dec 18, 2018)
Old Dec 14, 2018, 06:26 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by lv05evo
@kaj thanks for the heads up! Sucks you had to go through this. Maybe a social media post would be more helpful seeing as this forum is a bit dead. I'm not trying to cause trouble but I imagine you want to spread the word and keep others from going this route.
Good suggestion, but This site still comes up under searches and is pretty much a good source of research info. IMO social media sucks for getting good info from knowledgeable people. Social media posts turn into **** shows. Not a fan
Someone will say it's all my fault. Others will say "**** Weir", then an argument will ensue between them. That's really all social media is good for LOL.

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The site glass cover is so worth it for $100 or whatever it costs. It 100% ensures the fluid fill level is correct to keep the pinion bearings happy without overfilling the diff because you're not guessing at how much it's "overfilled" like with the stock cover.

I've only taken one diff apart that had a good side cover (I've done more than a few). The upgraded side cover has many benefits beyond the extra strength for launches, so it is a good upgrade as well.
The side cover had to be done, so it is what it is. The rear cover is my knit picking, but right now $100 is a big deal for me, as I'm splitting my money between this diff, xmas, and a study abroad program for school.
$100 buys quite a few xmas presents, and all that comes before my convenience of filling diff fluids.
MinusPrevious (Dec 14, 2018)
Old Dec 14, 2018, 07:03 PM
EvoM Guru

It's not really convenience, but ok.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 07:15 PM
kaj

Let's just say I didn't want it, for whatever reason.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 08:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
Thanks for posting up your issues. A company that just blames the user instead of fixing their parts is certainly one to make sure others understand.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 08:23 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
What about Jasons issue? (i guess it was more of a forewarning for some of us). Good post for sure!

I dont find EvOM dead at all. Sure IG / FB have pulled some traffic, but what internet platform can you visit that allows the deep search of topic and the categorizing?

You want to see a dead forum, go visit my old local forum (So.Cal EvO), a once very vibrant forum has not had any viable new posts in many, many months. I think EvOM is likely absorbing the traffic from these smaller regionalized forums.

The CT9A is getting long in the tooth but we have the DSM'rs beat by a number of years
I still see specialty forums going strong (Buick Grand National, Supra, etc). I don't see this site going away, now that SoCalEvo and other sites have gone away, and you mentioned.

As these cars change pricing, hands, and new buyers come along... There will be a need for a long time. I know I plan to track mine until parts are no longer available.

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Thanks for posting up your issues. A company that just blames the user instead of fixing their parts is certainly one to make sure others understand.
Honestly ,I'm used to that, these days, and it didn't surprise me (working in a shop, I found it to typically be usus error)...but to offer an incorrect explanation of how the thing works? That floored me.

Last edited by kaj; Dec 15, 2018 at 07:24 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious

I dont find EvOM dead at all.
Agreed

MinusPrevious (Dec 15, 2018)
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
@Kaj thanks for posting this up. I was debating about that upgrade for a while. I will pass on that for sure now.

There is still a ton of knowledgeable members left on this form. Although admittedly not as much as there was. Hell, half the guys in this thread I've learned a bunch from throughout the years.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I didn't say the forum is dead, I said "a bit dead" with less activity due to fewer owners. I imagine the X section is more active but I don't visit there. I see DSMtalk is still around and going strong.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 09:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts
This forum is a goldmine of data for CT9A. And to see many people still competing and winning with this 10+ year old platform says a lot. I dont see Evo love ever really going away.
The following 2 users liked this post by V.8MR:
EVO196 (Dec 19, 2018), SoSoEVO (Dec 18, 2018)