Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2020 Gridlife Season - Changes / Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
2020 Gridlife Season - Changes / Discussion

EDIT: See post 101 for 2020 season schedule and discussion.

Seeing as there are some decent changes for 2019 with the Gridlife series expanding I figured it'd be a good idea to start a new thread to cover some of the new stuff, rule changes, season schedule, as well as have a place for anyone who's planning to compete, what events they're going to and what class they'll be in.

So first off here's the schedule for the Time Attack Trackbattle as of today's date:
  1. Round 1. April 6 - 7th - Mid Ohio Sports Car Course
  2. Round 2. April 27 - 28th - Summit Point Motorsports Park
  3. Round 3. May 29 - June 2nd - Gingerman Raceway (midwest festival)
  4. Round 4. June 29 - 30th - Autobahn Country Club
  5. Round 5. August 23 - 25th - Road Atlanta (south festival)
  6. Round 6. September 7 - 8th - Road America
  7. Round 1. (2020 season points) October 5 - 6th - Gingerman Raceway
New Stuff for 2019:
  • You no longer have to make every round to contend for a season podium spot. In previous years if you missed a round you were pretty much out of the running. For 2019 they are doing what they call 3+1. In order to contend for a season podium spot you must make any 3 rounds plus the season "championship" round at Road America.
  • New wheel to wheel series called Gridlife Touring Cup series. This series has its own rule set and schedule which consists of 4 rounds, a couple which align with the trackbattle rounds. The information for the GLTC series can be found here: GLTC Info
  • Rule changes for classes, changes are highlighted in red for each class: Rule Changes
  • Finally, and most importantly, the Gridlife team has joined with the SCCA to form a licensing program. This program has been made to vet out drivers before they are approved to race, whether it be Time Attack or the Touring Cup series. This is to ensure safety for everyone competing on track. This licensing program is not supposed to be an intensive system that makes things a nightmare for drivers or an obstacle to overcome, it's moreso a soft background check of your track experience to ensure you have the necessary experience to be safe with the other drivers who are out on track with you.
I think that's all the big stuff so if anyone has anything to add let me know and I'll update the OP.

As for myself I'll be competing in TrackMod this year with my evo. I'm planning to be at every round except Summit and maybe Road Atlanta as those are the furthest stretches for me. I've also heard rumors from a couple of the Gridlife team that they are planning a West Festival at PPIR in Colorado in late July as well as one or two more non points rounds but they haven't made any official announcement about that yet. I'll also be at the non points round at Blackhawk Farms in August. Look forward to seeing some of you guys out there!

Last edited by Ayoustin; Oct 30, 2019 at 03:04 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
great thread, thanks for the compile. i'm almost certainly going to make 6/29-30 autobahn, but only doing hpde since i'm a noob. looking forward to it!
Old Dec 27, 2018, 05:36 AM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
They will also host comp-schools for the Gridlife licensing, from what I read the licensing is for the touring cup, I did not read anything about the licensing for TA. Where did you read that part at?

As as far as scheduling, I’ve cleared my schedule to be able to attend all of the events, however, the points change was made recently, so now the pressure to attend each event is not needed any longer, so I may skip mid Ohio and go to summit as the debut event. June and later I’ll have access to a trailer so it will make the further events slightly easier to get too. I’ve driven my evo across country before and Iran a little tiring with the bucket seats. Lol
Old Dec 27, 2018, 09:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Jacblack
They will also host comp-schools for the Gridlife licensing, from what I read the licensing is for the touring cup, I did not read anything about the licensing for TA. Where did you read that part at?

As as far as scheduling, I’ve cleared my schedule to be able to attend all of the events, however, the points change was made recently, so now the pressure to attend each event is not needed any longer, so I may skip mid Ohio and go to summit as the debut event. June and later I’ll have access to a trailer so it will make the further events slightly easier to get too. I’ve driven my evo across country before and Iran a little tiring with the bucket seats. Lol
I went to the drivers' summit they had at PRI where they went into more detail on stuff and answered questions. There they said the licensing would be for anyone competing in GLTC or Trackbattle. They want to avoid any situations that put people at risk. It makes sense to me after some of the rare instances that resulted in contact between people last season. I don't know all of the nitty gritty of the licensing details but if you plan to compete you should reach out via email to the GL team.

I still need to put in for days off work haha. Look forward to seeing you out there!
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

so.. what does it take to actually compete in the time attack portion of gridlife?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 04:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Nothing is required per say other than to pay and now the license as well. It's expected that you aren't completely green to being on track pretty much. They cut up run groups by time, not by class and the faster run groups are pretty much open passing so if someone isn't used to that or isn't keen at checking around them then it can result in some pretty undesirable consequences.

Time attack isn't really like an open track day, if you're just looking for more seat time I'd suggest signing up for one of the HPDE groups that are run in conjunction with the TA stuff. You'll get more seat time than TA and it's cheaper, but if you're thinking about competing or think it's something you'd like to try then shoot an email to the GL team.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Nothing is required per say other than to pay and now the license as well. It's expected that you aren't completely green to being on track pretty much. They cut up run groups by time, not by class and the faster run groups are pretty much open passing so if someone isn't used to that or isn't keen at checking around them then it can result in some pretty undesirable consequences.

Time attack isn't really like an open track day, if you're just looking for more seat time I'd suggest signing up for one of the HPDE groups that are run in conjunction with the TA stuff. You'll get more seat time than TA and it's cheaper, but if you're thinking about competing or think it's something you'd like to try then shoot an email to the GL team.
ultimately looking to TA, planning to get a lot of seat time at autobahn this year (8, 4 on south and 4 on full). i don't have to compete this year, but definitely something i want to do
Old Dec 27, 2018, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i should be at mid o for GTLC. not sure i can make any other rounds, need to focus on nasa stuff for nationals.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 08:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kyoo
ultimately looking to TA, planning to get a lot of seat time at autobahn this year (8, 4 on south and 4 on full). i don't have to compete this year, but definitely something i want to do
You should consider trying a couple days at other tracks in the area as well. One of the challenges to time attack is the variety of tracks, some of them that people haven't been on a lot so previous experience gives a big edge over other guys. Gingerman would be the other one to get acquainted with as well.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 03:43 AM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah I’ve been trying to get more people involved so I’ve been posting and relaying info as I find it, that’s why I was curious about the licensing because I didn’t see it. I can just hit up Adam again, we talked last week about my actual car and specs like that as well.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I've got a new NASA ST4 racecar for 2019 and the new GTLC has me thinking more and more about forgetting the Evo and running the GTLC instead. Or I might keep the Evo in Street Mod and run minimum events and try to get the new car out to a couple GTLC events.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Sounds like you're afraid of all the other guys building SM cars 😉
Old Jan 2, 2019, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
These calcs are worse then Nasa's....and seem backwards if I'm even close:

400hp / 0.08 = 5000
100 + 9 (taking turbo, front and rear aero) = 109 / 100 = 1.09
5000 * 1.09 = 5450 comp weight....??

100hp / 0.08 = 1250
1.09 carry over
1250 * 1.09 = 1362.5 comp weight.....

So...to get anywhere close to our average weight of 3270...you'd be limited to 225hp.....ROFL. As I stated before on facebook - they are making everyone do net new builds for this or they are doing SCCA IT 2.0 and giving the finger to any current generation TA build who wants to show they can build it well enough to do it all.

Last edited by Balrok; Jan 2, 2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
its a first go with a limited test schedule...the rules encompasa a decent amount of classes right now ( sm, honda challenge, stl, stu, st4, st5 etc imho could tuck into these rules) and im sure they will be expanded once they make sure it works.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 05:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
These calcs are worse then Nasa's....and seem backwards if I'm even close:

400hp / 0.08 = 5000
100 + 9 (taking turbo, front and rear aero) = 109 / 100 = 1.09
5000 * 1.09 = 5450 comp weight....??

100hp / 0.08 = 1250
1.09 carry over
1250 * 1.09 = 1362.5 comp weight.....

So...to get anywhere close to our average weight of 3270...you'd be limited to 225hp.....ROFL. As I stated before on facebook - they are making everyone do net new builds for this or they are doing SCCA IT 2.0 and giving the finger to any current generation TA build who wants to show they can build it well enough to do it all.
My new ST4 car is 3,100 lbs and 265 whp on 275 Hoosiers. For GLTC I will still be at 3,100 lbs and detune down to 235 whp and run a 245 Hoosier most likely. So it is a 30 whp detune. This is not a class meant for Evos just like TT4 is not really a class for Evos. It is meant to give a place for Honda Challenge, ST4, and SCCA STL cars to come play primarily.

Quick Reply: 2020 Gridlife Season - Changes / Discussion