Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best wheel width for 265/35R18?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 08:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Best wheel width for 265/35R18?

I'm about to purchase a set of 18" wheels and I've decided I'm going to run a 265/35R18 Advan AD08R or A052. I'm just looking to find out what's the optimal width for this size tire? I've searched several threads and most people say a 9.5, but then I also see several run a 275 Hoosier on a 9" wheel and some a 285 on a 9.5", so I'm just looking for a little clarification.

Wheels I'm going to purchase are the WedsSport TC105Xs wich have the same fitment from the TC105Ns. Two sizes I'm debating on buying are 18x9 +32 and the 18x9.5 +35. Car is an 05 Evo still on stock struts and Hotchkis springs.

Last edited by Crankwalker; Jan 17, 2019 at 08:15 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 09:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
The widest wheel within the tire manufacturers recommendations will give you the best results. Cant just empirically guess by what other run cause different tires get away with different things. Back in the day people put 275s on OEM 8" wheels, but those were hoosiers.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dallas J
The widest wheel within the tire manufacturers recommendations will give you the best results. Cant just empirically guess by what other run cause different tires get away with different things. Back in the day people put 275s on OEM 8" wheels, but those were hoosiers.
I currently run 255 AD08Rs on the OEM wheels, So I'm sure the 265s will mount on the 9" wide wheels, I just wasn't sure if the 265s will perform any better on the 9.5" wide or if they'll perform the same on the 9" wide wheel and I would be better off saving that .75lbs per wheel and possibly the need of a spacer on the 9.5 +35s, Or if I should just get the 9.5s in case I ever want to go to a wider tire.

Here's the specs on both tires, says 9"-10.5" wheel but also the measuring rim width is 9.5". So i assume from the information the 9.5" wheel would achieve the best results?

Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:34 PM
EvoM Guru

What is making you want the Advan tires? They arent competitive with the top tier 200tw tires and there are tires that will be just as quick but better wearing in the PS4S
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:45 PM

What is making you want the Advan tires? They arent competitive with the top tier 200tw tires and there are tires that will be just as quick but better wearing in the PS4S
The price and availability to me, I work for Yokohama, so for the money. I can't justify running other tires, especially at my experience level
Old Jan 17, 2019, 06:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Ahh, well cant argue with a discount if its not all out. I would go with a 10" wheel if you find one you like. If not 9-10 is certainly fine but doesn't give room to go bigger later.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 06:52 PM

Ahh, well cant argue with a discount if its not all out. I would go with a 10" wheel if you find one you like. If not 9-10 is certainly fine but doesn't give room to go bigger later.
If I go with the 9" wheel, am I pretty much limiting myself to the 265 without over sizing the wheel? I have nothing against going with the 9.5" if it will fit fine. I haven't been able to confirm if a 18x9.5 +35 and 265 willl clear without spacers. I know it will clear the factory Brembos but no for sure answer on the suspension. I've seen 5mm, 10mm and then there's a couple guys I've seen running 275/35s with no spacers and a 285/30 with 5mm( which I'm sure the height helps with those).

I am still on stock struts and springs for now if that limits some of the clearance?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 07:30 PM
EvoM Guru

The reason we run spacers up front is when trying to get the tire itself to fit well in the wheel well. The front and rear just need different offsets. Its fine with standard size wheels, but pushing limits certainly requires more effort. +35-38 is the right direction to start though.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 07:54 PM

The reason we run spacers up front is when trying to get the tire itself to fit well in the wheel well. The front and rear just need different offsets. Its fine with standard size wheels, but pushing limits certainly requires more effort. +35-38 is the right direction to start though.
would you consider 265s really pushing the limit?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Hah, "I" do not think 265s are pushing anything. But 265s are getting tight in the fenders to fit with no extra work.

What I consider tight is 295s under stock fenders. But Ive moved past that to 315s and on my way to 335s.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 04:26 AM

Hah, "I" do not think 265s are pushing anything. But 265s are getting tight in the fenders to fit with no extra work.

What I consider tight is 295s under stock fenders. But Ive moved past that to 315s and on my way to 335s.
And here I am worried about trying to make a 265 fit!? Haha I understand I will have to do some rear fender work, I was just preferring to not run spacers if it's possible.

The car is still gonna be primarily street driven, it's not a daily, but I still enjoy driving it every time I can. Realistically with work, I'm probably only gonna be able to make it to a maybe 4-5 HPDE events a year. So with that being in mind, I'm not trying to go to any extremes..... Yet!!
Old Jan 18, 2019, 07:10 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
In general, a 9.5" wheel wound be best but, as mentioned ,some tires vary. I.E. I run 255s on a 9.5 wheel and an NT01 seems almost too wide and an RE71 has
​​​​​​ a tiny stretch.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 07:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Crankwalker
And here I am worried about trying to make a 265 fit!? Haha I understand I will have to do some rear fender work, I was just preferring to not run spacers if it's possible.

The car is still gonna be primarily street driven, it's not a daily, but I still enjoy driving it every time I can. Realistically with work, I'm probably only gonna be able to make it to a maybe 4-5 HPDE events a year. So with that being in mind, I'm not trying to go to any extremes..... Yet!!
Theres no worries about using a spacer on the street. I had a 20mm bolt on spacer on my car for probably 3-4 years before I made the billet uprights and custom spacers and started swapping things for specific wheels.

The street tires I have now are a 265 RE71 on an RPF1 18x10+38 with a 17mm front spacer. Inside fit is good, and I think a stock car would need very minimal work. If you wanted front a bit narrower, a different shaped wheel would more easily clear the brakes and require less spacer. Like the PF01 needs no spacer up front for brake clearance but probably some for strut clearance depending on your setup.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:03 PM

Theres no worries about using a spacer on the street. I had a 20mm bolt on spacer on my car for probably 3-4 years before I made the billet uprights and custom spacers and started swapping things for specific wheels.

The street tires I have now are a 265 RE71 on an RPF1 18x10+38 with a 17mm front spacer. Inside fit is good, and I think a stock car would need very minimal work. If you wanted front a bit narrower, a different shaped wheel would more easily clear the brakes and require less spacer. Like the PF01 needs no spacer up front for brake clearance but probably some for strut clearance depending on your setup.
I guess I've just always been worried about running spacers and being on stock studs doesn't make me feel any better about it. Plus I feel like it kind of defeats the purpose of buying light wheels, then adding extra weight of spacers and extended studs. Maybe I'm just overthinking the whole situation!!
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
In general, a 9.5" wheel wound be best but, as mentioned ,some tires vary. I.E. I run 255s on a 9.5 wheel and an NT01 seems almost too wide and an RE71 has
​​​​​​ a tiny stretch.
Not sure how the Advans compare in size to the NT01s. I've seen other 265s on 18x9s and they look like they fit perfect, no stretch or aidewall buldge either. So that's where my orignal idea came from until I started looking in to them and seeing everyone reccomends a 9.5 wheel for 265s. I figured if i could run the size tire I want and a lighter wheel, it would be a win win situation!