Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What are the best parts to get for my evo 9

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the best parts to get for my evo 9

So my evo 9 has 36k miles. It was built already by last owner but the oil pump went and I lost oil so now I need to re build it. Has a 6466 pre turbo and 2000cc injectors. It's a 2.0 stock bore motor. The only things good on the bottom block still are the weisco 1400 HD 10:5 compression pistons. The car had turbo tuff I beam manley rods. The bottom end drive train is stock but I have built trans on it's way. The car is a mr se and I plan on keeping it stock looking for a sleeper look. It will be lowered soon, aftermarket wheels, has a ams exhaust that is nice but I want more of a drag sounding exhaust without going side exhaust. Also has a 4" buschur racing front mount. I want the car to be a street car but at the same time take it to the drag strip few times like shootout. I want a mid 9 second car. I want the motor to be built for 1000hp again but be around 850 on kill mode. I have a list of parts I was going to buy that i was able to get good deals on but from a good friend of mine who is building an evo to be over 1000hp that I should stay away from some of the parts and go different routes because there is better stuff out there or better prices. I want the best of the best in the way but for great prices. I know you pay for what you get but I bet maybe I could get good deals out there for the good parts lol. My ECU when I got the car was told it's a aem v2 but I found out it's just v1 so I'm thinking going with link or haltech just dont know which one I should go with. Like I said I want around 850hp, around 50psi boost and flex fuel took on two walbro 450 fuel pumps.

Below is a list of parts I was looking into that I almost bought but after some more research and help from a friend I didn't. So I'd like some help from you guys on here letting me know which parts I should keep, which ones I should not get and what I should replace them for and if there is any good deals out there.

Old Jan 17, 2019, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
I have a Haltech PNP Pro for sale if you’re interested. It’s for the IX.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Are you getting 88mm K1 crank? And which turbo? FP Zero?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
And a 9 second quarter mile car isn't going to be a fun street car.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 09:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
And a 9 second quarter mile car isn't going to be a fun street car.
A 9 second car is definitely still a fun street car. A 6466 on most of it (850whp or so) will do 9's in a full weight car with a good driver and slicks. And with a proper setup will make good power from ~4800rpm to 9500rpm.

OP, you need to better assess the part son the car. In your post it says you have a 6466 turbo, this implies you probably have a turbo kit and can't use the O2 eliminator down pipe you have selected as it is for a stock frame turbo. This really seems like you need to consult a trusted shop to get you in the right direction as opposed to getting 30 different opinions from the internet on how to build your car.
Or you need to do a lot more reading and research.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 03:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
A 9 second car is definitely still a fun street car. A 6466 on most of it (850whp or so) will do 9's in a full weight car with a good driver and slicks. And with a proper setup will make good power from ~4800rpm to 9500rpm.

OP, you need to better assess the part son the car. In your post it says you have a 6466 turbo, this implies you probably have a turbo kit and can't use the O2 eliminator down pipe you have selected as it is for a stock frame turbo. This really seems like you need to consult a trusted shop to get you in the right direction as opposed to getting 30 different opinions from the internet on how to build your car.
Or you need to do a lot more reading and research.
I would agree with you Sean.
I'm not saying you can't choose the correct parts yourself, but its nice to get with someone that has done it 100's of times with good results.
Getting with a trusted shop or build advisor will actually save you money in the end IMO. You can state your goals and they can meet or exceed them. Compare it to baking a cake, you are able to buy the ingredients anywhere but the right combination yields a better result. You may also want to consult with a reputable tuner on what ECU they recommend and tune as they will play an important role on what takes place.
Building a car is expensive, but building it twice costs even more.

Old Jan 20, 2019, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys for the comments so far. I got help from someone at maperformance so I thought some things where off a little but I was told some of the parts would work with what I have but I was pretty sure they wouldnt. That's why I didnt buy anything yet. My tuner told me also what to get for a ecu and what not but then someone else I trust also said go a different route. Like I was told go link g4 then was told haltech ecu and I read about both and they both seem the route to go for me so I'm not sure.

Last edited by nsgk53; Jan 22, 2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Based on your posts, I really feel like you don't have a lot of experience with cars, let alone building a high performance vehicle. You need to do a lot of reading and research. You need to set goals for what you want the car to be. Going through a full build isn't going to the store and just buying every part available and bolting it up. But, when I look at the cart you posted in your first post, that's kind of what I feel like you're doing. I don't like telling me people to not touch their car and just take it to a shop, but you REALLY need to educate yourself on this before diving in, or you're going to waste A LOT of money and time.

If you have someone tuning your car, and you want to install an aftermarket EMS, you need to go with what the tuner recommends. They're tuning the car not that "someone else" that you trust.