Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

bleeding lifter confusion/ help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 08:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bleeding lifter confusion/ help

So i recently installed hks cams in my evo 8. I have read a few conflicting posts about this and I am now getting a very loud tic when i rotate my motor. Initially I pulled cams, pulled each lifter out and pumped it dry as I was first under the impression you need to be able to depress them then I read from some posts they need to be solid. The loud tic os defiantly from the lifters. So I read that some people bleed them running the car and it's just very loud at first. So am I ok running the car and letting them fill or rip every thing apart and fill them manually?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
If you checked to verify that they do stiffen up when filled with fluid (when you had it outside of engine), then they will quiet down once filled (after running engine for a while).
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
If you checked to verify that they do stiffen up when filled with fluid (when you had it outside of engine), then they will quiet down once filled (after running engine for a while).
I did not. Just bleed them and dropped them back in
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Timf91
I did not. Just bleed them and dropped them back in
You can try the Mitsu FSM method for bleeding them in-car.
http://www.evoscan.com/manuals/Evo9/GR00004700-11A.pdf#page=14&zoom=auto,-367,781

If that plus a bit of mileage doesn't help you should try bleeding manually again. The correct way to bleed is also in the FSM. That's the right way to do it, it has yet to fail me unless a lifter has completely failed.
http://www.evoscan.com/manuals/Evo9/GR00002300-11B.pdf#page=39&zoom=auto,-367,403

Best of luck!