Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Thoughts on power band, which will half a better 1/4 mile time

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on power band, which will half a better 1/4 mile time

I have an Evo X with full bolt ons that is on OEM Turbo running on E85 and it was doing the GREEN numbers below. However I just recently installed a custom locally built Evo X with unknown internals that feels like it pulls faster but has the numbers below in RED.

Anyone who have the same experience going from a Stock Turbo to a Modified Turbo and the Modified Bigger turbo having lesser torque. Will it be faster in the 1/4 mile? Given all variables equal.

Thanks!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 06:32 AM

138 views and no help?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by RREvoXRacer
I have an Evo X with full bolt ons that is on OEM Turbo running on E85 and it was doing the GREEN numbers below. However I just recently installed a custom locally built Evo X with unknown internals that feels like it pulls faster but has the numbers below in RED.

Anyone who have the same experience going from a Stock Turbo to a Modified Turbo and the Modified Bigger turbo having lesser torque. Will it be faster in the 1/4 mile? Given all variables equal.

Thanks!
OEM turbo will feel quicker on the street but the modified making over 400 + will more then likely trap better and provide a better ET
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Is the turbo on the red lines not running E85? The torque is really low if it is, you need to turn it up..
Old Mar 18, 2019, 05:36 PM

Thanks for the inputs. The Red line is running 90 only. Main purpose of switching to a big turbo was to get rid of E85 (due to its rarity) and hopefully get the same power. But after install and tune the power band seems too late, torque too low which concerns me that it might be slower in the drags.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 09:58 PM

Also will the torque not matter? I lost like 50 wtq switching to a bigger turbo. Which is a bit disappointing.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Also will the torque not matter? I lost like 50 wtq switching to a bigger turbo. Which is a bit disappointing.
To me in having various cars of different displacement size and forced induction concepts. It all comes down to what you want. High torque cars to me are more exhilarating for daily use and can be fun at the track as well. HP cars can be peaky and lazy. As the saying goes,

"There is more then one way to skin a cat !"

Your two examples may be very close in 1/4 performance. The one with more torque may do very well in the 1/8 and have the advantage but lose to the HP car at the end.

So now you have a choice as to what you want. In my years of enjoying performance cars I have always swayed to the torque team. Usually in an all wheel drive car that can manage higher torque better then a RWD or FWD platform I found it to be more fun to drive generally speaking. The peak HP camp always wants the win at the end of the 1/4 no matter how soggy it may feels on the street.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 06:57 AM

@whtrice thank you for your thoughts. i wanted to decide on which turbo to use before I go having the car dyno'd and max out the power before running it at the drags. by feel I like the stock turbo more, there is punch at the start. by the numbers I feel that the bigger turbo does have high hp but indeed doesn't feel as fun.

I will probably put some E85 so that I can have an apples to apples comparison and take it from there. If the car doesn't give me a better ET, the stock turbo will go back in.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

@whtrice thank you for your thoughts. i wanted to decide on which turbo to use before I go having the car dyno'd and max out the power before running it at the drags. by feel I like the stock turbo more, there is punch at the start. by the numbers I feel that the bigger turbo does have high hp but indeed doesn't feel as fun.

I will probably put some E85 so that I can have an apples to apples comparison and take it from there. If the car doesn't give me a better ET, the stock turbo will go back in.
Well if you do run the modified turbo on E-85 and have it properly tuned it will more then likely be just as "quick"! As previously stated...."Turn up the wick!" ...more timing / booost!!!

On E-85 the bigger turbo will win and be fun!

Just a warning though...If on stock block bottom end you will need to be careful and not exceed 400 wtq as you could window your block!!!

Been there done that.

Last edited by whtrice; Mar 19, 2019 at 07:09 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by whtrice

Just a warning though...If on stock block bottom end you will need to be careful and not exceed 400 wtq as you could window your block!!!
That's what I was thinking. Many people play it safe and even keep it around 370tq on stock block so keep that in mind. What turbo are you actually running? You said "custom built" so what is it? The bigger the turbo the more laggy it'll be, it's a sacrifice for power. Like everyone has already said, you have to figure out what you want and build your car according to how you want it to perform. If you go a little bit bigger turbo like a MHI 18K it really shouldn't spool too far off from the stock turbo to complain about.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 08:11 AM

I am not really sure what turbo this is. A friend sold it to me used, it was said to be locally built by a deisel turbo rebuilding shop with their own internals. I wasn't able to take pictures, I only have I believe a picture of the impeller but it definitely was bigger than the stock turbo.

Its very laggy as seen on the chart. I hit full boost at 5k rpm.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:51 AM

I am not really sure what turbo this is. A friend sold it to me used, it was said to be locally built by a deisel turbo rebuilding shop with their own internals. I wasn't able to take pictures, I only have I believe a picture of the impeller but it definitely was bigger than the stock turbo.

Its very laggy as seen on the chart. I hit full boost at 5k rpm.
Wow... did you do research on different turbos for the X before you bought it? I wouldn't just throw a random turbo I know nothing about on my car lol
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Yeah, this is an example of a terrible turbocharger choice. You should have done your research. An MHI 18k or Garrett GTX3076r stock location turbo would have been a wayyyyyyy better option. You might get better time slips with the current setup because you're always above 5500 in the 1/4 mile, but there's no way that new setup is very fun to play with on the streets.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:36 PM

I was going to get a GT35R Gen 2, but when you get a deal on a used turbo next to nothing. It doesn't hurt to try. If this traps better than the OEM then I have saved myself 2000 bucks!