Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cost of 500 wHP ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost of 500 wHP ?

So I just wanted to get a general number $$$ how much it cost to get a evo X from stock to 500 WHP ? I spoke to someone at a shop ( not going to name the shop) and was quoted a number that I thought was a bit low for parts and labor. this shop focuses on Evo X mostly.
Again just looking for rough estimates.. both high end and average parts. I will post the " rough" quote I got from this shop after I see several numbers from you guys. car would be a daily driver. Not looking to put it on the track

Last edited by xclusive_evo; Mar 19, 2019 at 06:59 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
I wouldn't aim that high for evo x. I think reliability takes a nose dive when over 400 whp.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
What exactly are you looking for and what are you using the power for? Street? Track? Drag?

You can get 500whp from a Black but it won't be very fun on street. Personally, I'd rather have more power under curve than peak of 500whp.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
What exactly are you looking for and what are you using the power for? Street? Track? Drag?

You can get 500whp from a Black but it won't be very fun on street. Personally, I'd rather have more power under curve than peak of 500whp.
100% this. Unless you only want to do freeway pulls high power big turbo gets really boring on the street. I switched to a tiny turbo(TD05-20G) and I've had waaaay more fun than I ever had running 25psi on my GT35(and that wasn't even 500whp).
Old Mar 19, 2019, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Fox_IX
100% this. Unless you only want to do freeway pulls high power big turbo gets really boring on the street. I switched to a tiny turbo(TD05-20G) and I've had waaaay more fun than I ever had running 25psi on my GT35(and that wasn't even 500whp).
I am looking for both street and highway power. I am new to all this, i am just going off based on what I see on yourtube and the mods these guys doing. looking for more power but still have a reliable car. Buying a evo to be 90% in a garage getting fixed is not what i am looking for
Old Mar 21, 2019, 07:11 AM

My suggestion is a costly one but if you go with a Borgwarner EFR T4 turbo like a 7163 or even 7670 you can make much better power than stock and spool super fast. To get the turbo kit alone would be around $6,000 tho, + you'll need supporting mods, + labor/tune. If you went that route you'd have a very fun car and a 7670 can definitely make 500+ whp on e85. But that would probably be around $10,000 between parts and labor. That's the expensive route (imo the best if money wasn't an issue)

A cheaper route would be to get a MHI 18K or Garrett GTX3076r stock location turbo and make somewhere between 400-500whp. Turbo is around $2,000 + whatever supporting mods you need that you don't have already + labor/tune. I think it can be done under $5,000??

Like others have said, you need to figure out what you want out of your car. It's easy to get lost in the numbers games but look up turbo options and see how they're spool/response is and know that the bigger you go the laggier it'll be so it may not be as much fun for people who want fast spool time, but maybe that's something you don't personally care about. I did A LOT of research on many different turbos to figure out which one I thought was best for what I wanted so look up threads on turbos that you're interested, there's plenty information out there.

Last edited by MannyEvoX; Mar 21, 2019 at 07:17 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 09:22 AM

thanks man what is your suggestions on the modifications I should do?

I was thinking cold air , HKS exhaust, turbo and tune,AMS or ETS cooling. I honestly don't know anything bout cars and someone would be doing my work. so I need some guidance so I don't get jerked around by a shop. END result is I need a reliable car that I can use and not have to worry about. I don't abuse my cars, just like to have the power to play around with.

I see a lot of guys with 400-600 hp and using it as daily drivers.. but I agree with you i am looking for fast on the street as well but still fast enough where it is not slow on the highway.

suggestions with mods welcomed.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by MannyEvoX
My suggestion is a costly one but if you go with a Borgwarner EFR T4 turbo like a 7163 or even 7670 you can make much better power than stock and spool super fast. To get the turbo kit alone would be around $6,000 tho, + you'll need supporting mods, + labor/tune. If you went that route you'd have a very fun car and a 7670 can definitely make 500+ whp on e85. But that would probably be around $10,000 between parts and labor. That's the expensive route (imo the best if money wasn't an issue)

A cheaper route would be to get a MHI 18K or Garrett GTX3076r stock location turbo and make somewhere between 400-500whp. Turbo is around $2,000 + whatever supporting mods you need that you don't have already + labor/tune. I think it can be done under $5,000??

Like others have said, you need to figure out what you want out of your car. It's easy to get lost in the numbers games but look up turbo options and see how they're spool/response is and know that the bigger you go the laggier it'll be so it may not be as much fun for people who want fast spool time, but maybe that's something you don't personally care about. I did A LOT of research on many different turbos to figure out which one I thought was best for what I wanted so look up threads on turbos that you're interested, there's plenty information out there.

Manny good to see someone local.. so I am going to disclose now.. I spoke to someone at E-specs and they told me all i needed from stock to 500HP was a turbo, cooler, air flow, tune and clutch. Said car will be good for everyday driving. He quoted me " roughly" 7K for parts and labor. I was thinking it would be closer to 9-10K.. We did not discuss what parts but it was a rough estimate.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
I wouldn't aim that high for evo x. I think reliability takes a nose dive when over 400 whp.
100% wrong.

OP, if you have E85 readily available, The garret stock frame gtx3076r will do 500whp on E85. The MHI18k won't quite do it, its really done around 475whp if you want to keep things safe and back pressure in check.

Or you'll need a turbo kit. An ETS Vband kit with a garret gen2 5558 and GSC S2's will make 500whp on pump gas. This would also make 575-600whp on E85.

Either setup will of course need the appropriate supporting mods- fuel system, intercooler, exhaust, etc.. The stock clutch will hold what is safe for the stock rods, but if you want to launch the car you'll need to upgrade.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Mar 21, 2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by xclusive_evo
Manny good to see someone local.. so I am going to disclose now.. I spoke to someone at E-specs and they told me all i needed from stock to 500HP was a turbo, cooler, air flow, tune and clutch. Said car will be good for everyday driving. He quoted me " roughly" 7K for parts and labor. I was thinking it would be closer to 9-10K.. We did not discuss what parts but it was a rough estimate.
Yeah I live in the newburgh area Hudson Valley area. Erkle at E-spec is a great guy and has a very good rep. He always suggests ETS turbo kits to people like you and he's successfully built many cars using that kit, I highly recommend him.
My tuner is Remy at DDA here in newburgh, he's my literal next door neighbor to my familys shop so it is more convenient for me. Always prepare for it being more than what they quote you lol. Something might come up and you need other parts, or they have to do more work and charge more labor or like me you realized you might as well get this part and that part etc and end up having a bigger build that first planned.

I recommend to just get a turbo kit and do it right the first time. I went with EFR series because I wanted the fastest spool possible but Precision turbos are very popular too. "letsgetthisdone" is very knowledgeable and has good advice
Old Mar 21, 2019, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Pardon my ignorance, not trying to thread jack either, just want to educate myself, but how would a 8374 compare to the above mentioned turbo set ups (7163/7670/MHI/3076r) in terms of spool/response..
Old Mar 22, 2019, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Blue_Lion

Pardon my ignorance, not trying to thread jack either, just want to educate myself, but how would a 8374 compare to the above mentioned turbo set ups (7163/7670/MHI/3076r) in terms of spool/response..

The 8374 is the biggest turbo out of that group and can make over 700whp so it's the slowest spooling at around 4500-4700rpm. Highest hp seen - 770whp
Next comes the the 7670 keep in mind it's a 500-600whp turbo and it spools around 300-500rpm quicker than the 8374 - Highest hp seen 625whp
The 7163 I've heard people rave about it as it spools better than stock but still can make big #'s. I recently saw E-spec tune an Evo 9 with a 7163 and it made 555whp! I think on race gas or something tho, definitely at the limit. Amazing turbo.
I've seen the MHI spool between 3500-4k rpm for the most part and usually top out between 450-475whp, very good turbo as well.
Haven't done much research on the 3076r but I believe it spools just a little bit later than the MHI, someone correct me if I'm wrong tho.

Hope that answers your question, there's a lot of information of forums like these so if you do some searches and google searches you'll find the same information I learned from

Last edited by MannyEvoX; Mar 22, 2019 at 06:36 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
The 8374 is the biggest turbo out of that group and can make over 700whp so it's the slowest spooling at around 4500-4700rpm. Highest hp seen - 770whp
Next comes the the 7670 keep in mind it's a 500-600whp turbo and it spools around 300-500rpm quicker than the 8374 - Highest hp seen 625whp
The 7163 I've heard people rave about it as it spools better than stock but still can make big #'s. I recently saw E-spec tune an Evo 9 with a 7163 and it made 555whp! I think on race gas or something tho, definitely at the limit. Amazing turbo.
I've seen the MHI spool between 3500-4k rpm for the most part and usually top out between 450-475whp, very good turbo as well.
Haven't done much research on the 3076r but I believe it spools just a little bit later than the MHI, someone correct me if I'm wrong tho.

Hope that answers your question, there's a lot of information of forums like these so if you do some searches and google searches you'll find the same information I learned from
Definitely answers it. thanks for the write up.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The EFR's are cool until the turbine falls off and you have to buy a supercore because they're not rebuildable because BW doesn't sell parts. A turbine shaft speed sensor and a good tuner is really a must.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 02:52 PM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by xclusive_evo
So I just wanted to get a general number $$$ how much it cost to get a evo X from stock to 500 WHP ? I spoke to someone at a shop ( not going to name the shop) and was quoted a number that I thought was a bit low for parts and labor. this shop focuses on Evo X mostly.
Again just looking for rough estimates.. both high end and average parts. I will post the " rough" quote I got from this shop after I see several numbers from you guys. car would be a daily driver. Not looking to put it on the track
Look, this question gets asked a lot. The answer depends on one thing: How long do you want the car to last at XXXWHP number? If you don't care, then this will cost whatever it takes to bolt on a larger turbocharger and get a enough fuel and air into the motor to make XXXWHP. A cheap ebay turbo will do it, and you can get your pipes and whatnot there, as well. Total cost...maybe $2,000? BUT, this setup will and truly go boom eventually. This is especially true if you are having any old shop do the work, too. It might have the added benefit of driving like absolute crap around town too, depending on a few factors.

Now, if you want the car to last at XXXWHP number, you can multiply that number accordingly. Lets say for the sake of example that you can get 20k miles out of that setup by babying the car. Want it to last twice as long (and drive half decent)? Double the estimate.

I promise I am not trying to be a dick with that answer, and all numbers presented are meant for example only. All I am trying to say is that this is too general a question that has way too many variables to be realistically answered in this manner.

Quick Reply: Cost of 500 wHP ?