Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Fair price for my Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fair price for my Evo?

Hey guys, I hope it's ok to post a thread like this. Due to some life circumstances, I'm considering selling my Evo. You can see all the modifications in the signature, last time on a dyno it put down 415 awhp, on a hot and humid day. The car has just over 20K miles on it, and I kept it super clean outside and inside. No food, etc. I'd say "like new" but the paper-thin leather on the steering wheel has some abrasion, so it's due for a wheel wrap.

Anyway, I have no idea how to price this car. I called three dealers and none were willing to give me a number. So, if I do a private sale, what would be a fair asking price, or at least a ballpark range?

Thank you.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
www.kbb.com should give you current market value on trading into a dealer or a private sale.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by donny_utah
www.kbb.com should give you current market value on trading into a dealer or a private sale.
Yes, I'm well aware of KBB, but how does that apply to a modified Evo? If you're telling me none of the mods matter, than I call b.s.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Mostly, mods don't matter for the most part. What I would do is price it about 4-5k over KBB etc., stress it's not been driven in the snow, who tuned and worked on it (good shop btw) and find an enthusiast that knows its value. (within reason) The reality is, unfortunately modifications don't help, they more often than not, harm the price of a car when selling used. You're looking for a buyer that would be doing those mods anyway so would be interested in such a vehicle. I'd guesstimate 28k might be attainable, if I had to throw out a number. Good luck with the sale!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by donny_utah
KBB values for Evos are laughable. It says an 06 Evo IX GSR is worth $13-16k in excellent condition. Good luck finding one at that price!
Old Mar 20, 2019, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Metal
Yes, I'm well aware of KBB, but how does that apply to a modified Evo? If you're telling me none of the mods matter, than I call b.s.
Did I say that? Keep jumping to conclusions.

Last edited by donny_utah; Mar 20, 2019 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Cleaned it up for his DA
Old Mar 20, 2019, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox_IX
KBB values for Evos are laughable. It says an 06 Evo IX GSR is worth $13-16k in excellent condition. Good luck finding one at that price!
^This. I would look on here in the classified section as well as sites like AutoTrader, Cars.com, Cargurus and see what they're selling for. From what I've seen, I can tell you Xs with 20mi are going for around 29k-32k.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys, that's pretty helpful. The car has not been driven much, always garage stored, etc., the Ohlins setup is basically new. If I have to sell, the buyer will be getting a good, clean car, which is why I feel like the above-mentioned ~30K price point makes sense.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 09:12 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
In my opinion and looking at the market
A dealer can get away with selling this for 26-28k
As a Private seller would be around 21-23k
Mods don't get u much as u might think as
almost everyone will want as stock as possible.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Sort of following on BULLSYE's comment, if you have time and are willing to look for the right buyer, you can probably get high twenty-thousand to thirty for the car given the low mileage. At that price point, you're going to want a TON of good photos, receipts/documentation for everything you can muster, a walk around video of the car, a recent compression test, and a willingness to allow a buyer a local, 3rd party PPI.

If you want to move the car quickly and don't want to put in all the effort, low-to-mid 20k is probably closer to what you'll be able to get. You might get lucky with a local buyer looking for a low-mileage, modded evo.

You also have to keep in mind, most banks are only willing to lend a buyer book value, so see my "right buyer" comment in the opening line.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 will be tough to get 30k imo. 25-28k is the range I'd list it to sell it in a reasonable time. Also financing is an issue if over 5 years with it being 2012 that makes it tougher to get a buyer. Good luck!
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

I'm sure location plays a role in pricing. Evo X with 30mi and under are extremely expensive where I live. Check these two out https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=234895068 & https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=228266091
Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:04 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes location matters, but
The links you provided are 2015 Final Edition models
They are all going for 30k+ no matter what location
Old Mar 22, 2019, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by llllBULLSEYE
Yes location matters, but
The links you provided are 2015 Final Edition models
They are all going for 30k+ no matter what location
Understood. Thats why I said Evos and didn't specify which year I was referring too. It was a general statement and the links were just to show that point. A 14' that's around the same mileage is also going for 33k. The value of Evo Xs have gone up according to KBB as I receive emails any time there is a value change with the X. I think 30k for the OP's car is a fair price as Xs are becoming harder to find.