Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Help!! My battery is dead and i'm locked out!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!! My battery is dead and i'm locked out!

Hi! Brand new to this site and in desperate need of help! I own a 2008 Evo X GSR SSS. The car is stored during winter but I start it up once a week. I went to take it out of the garage today and as luck would have it the battery is completely dead, the doors are locked, and the i can't get the door unlocked with the valet key. The trick does not have a key hole. I called AAA and a the guy told me they don't know what to do with it. The car has a complete custom airbrush paint job from Killer Kreations and I don't want the paint or tint damaged while trying to break into it. The car is in gear with the emergency brake on so I also can't tow it. I have an appointment April 1st with the performance shop and I need to get the battery charged. Does anyone have any ideas about what I should do? Please!!
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Call a locksmith. They will be able to get the door open using this method.

Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:01 AM

Thanks! That looks like it probably won't damage my paint or tint. I am going to call AAA again and request a different service provider.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Why won't the valet key unlock the door? Is it just the wrong one for the car? Maybe call the dealer or a locksmith with your vin and see if they can cut you one?

Did you try the valet key from both sets of keys? I remember a long time ago, the dealer put the wrong valet key in someones fob.
The following users liked this post:
llllBULLSEYE (Mar 25, 2019)
Old Mar 25, 2019, 08:00 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes Valet key should work. I had to do this last week since I had to disconnect my battery to remove
my ECU to send it out. I locked the doors with the Valet key and a week later unlocked it
with no problem.

Last edited by llllBULLSEYE; Mar 25, 2019 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Pic
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
I'm guessing from the complete custom air brush paint job and the "The trick does not have a key hole" comment, that someone shaved/deleted the key hole on the driver's door handle and the FAST equipped trunks don't have a keyhole either. It sounds like flexing the door with an air bag is going to be the best approach.

I will comment that there's a remote terminal for the battery under the hood and that a good locksmith can also likely get at the hood release through the front grill and pop the hood to get a battery pack hooked up to unlock the car with the remote key.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:34 PM

Thanks for all the help! I called a different locksmith and they were able to use the airbag method to open the door. It did not damage my paint, thankfully. I replaced the battery today so this will not happen again anytime soon!! Take care all!
Old Mar 26, 2019, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by jcgirl302
Thanks for all the help! I called a different locksmith and they were able to use the airbag method to open the door. It did not damage my paint, thankfully. I replaced the battery today so this will not happen again anytime soon!! Take care all!
I would still recommend figuring out the valet key because if you're storing it for winter, it could happen again.