Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Alpine HU Install Help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2019, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alpine HU Install Help

Good day gents, I'm trying to figure out what I need to install an Alpine ilx-w650 into my 2015 Evo X. So far what I got out of it is the HU it's self, Scosche faceplate, Metra 70-7005 — Wiring Harness, and PAC SWI-CP2. What I'm confused on is how to wire in the USB. Does anyone know how the stock USB connects to the stock HU? Is it a typical USB connection or is it wired into the stock harness? And if it is wired into the stock harness, will it still work with the Alpine HU for Android auto?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:20 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have 2013 model, so I am not sure if there is anything changed in 2015 model. I just removed the OEM USB that is in the glove box. As most of the head unit comes with its own USB cables. How you want to mount it is up to you.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by moladin
I have 2013 model, so I am not sure if there is anything changed in 2015 model. I just removed the OEM USB that is in the glove box. As most of the head unit comes with its own USB cables. How you want to mount it is up to you.
What's the other end of the USB look like? Is it a male connector that will plug into the Alpine HU or is it wired into the factory harness?

Also did u mount the mic in the stock location or somewhere else?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
The factory USB port is pinned into the factory harness so you can't use it without making an adapter harness or chopping the wiring up. Most people just run the aftermarket cable wherever they want (in the armrest is nice but just dropping it in the glovebox is dead simple. I mounted the mic on the windshield glass right against the headliner and above the mirror on the driver's side. I then angled it to be pointed at my face. No complaints when I call people.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by splattj
The factory USB port is pinned into the factory harness so you can't use it without making an adapter harness or chopping the wiring up. Most people just run the aftermarket cable wherever they want (in the armrest is nice but just dropping it in the glovebox is dead simple. I mounted the mic on the windshield glass right against the headliner and above the mirror on the driver's side. I then angled it to be pointed at my face. No complaints when I call people.
Awesome! Sounds good, I want to avoid cutting the stock harness, so I'll see if I can take the stock USB out of it's mount and replace it with the aftermarket one.

How'd u run the cable for the mic? Does it just follow the windshield all the way around?

Also one last question. Reading the Alpine HU details, there's only 2 devices it's compatible with to retain steering wheel controls:

ASWC-1

PAC SWI-CP5

​​​​​​Which one will retail all controls including the Bluetooth buttons? I don't have experience with either one and not finding any info specifically with the 2015 and Bluetooth buttons.

Last edited by Quadrider10; Jun 16, 2019 at 08:23 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

I ran the cable out of the dash by the A-Pillar trim, under the trim and just inside the edge of the headliner (you can access the edge of the headliner with your fingers without removing anything.

I'd hit up the fine folks at Crutchfield on your ASWC-1 vs SWI-CP5 questions. I used the Axxess MITO-XX in both my Lancer installs with good luck.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 04:02 PM

I am not sure about PAC SWI-CP5, I myself use PAC SWI-RC for my steering wheel control with prior Clarion Head unit and now Pioneer. My Steering wheel phone function does not work with it however. You can use something like USB port/cable and drill a hole somewhere convenience to you to put it in. See pic:
Old Jun 17, 2019, 06:10 PM

I ran the cable out of the dash by the A-Pillar trim, under the trim and just inside the edge of the headliner (you can access the edge of the headliner with your fingers without removing anything.

I'd hit up the fine folks at Crutchfield on your ASWC-1 vs SWI-CP5 questions. I used the Axxess MITO-XX in both my Lancer installs with good luck.
Sweet, I'll definitely try and rout it similar to that!

Originally Posted by moladin
I am not sure about PAC SWI-CP5, I myself use PAC SWI-RC for my steering wheel control with prior Clarion Head unit and now Pioneer. My Steering wheel phone function does not work with it however. You can use something like USB port/cable and drill a hole somewhere convenience to you to put it in. See pic:
Awe, sweet! This is pretty cool idea, the website says that the HU is only compatible with those 2 units, I guess I'm gonna give the cp5 a try because it should allow the Bluetooth buttons to work.

Where did u mount that USB and aux in your car?

One other question I have is, if the HU is replaced, does that USB port in the glove box still have power say to charge a phone? Or is power completely cut to it and it becomes completely useless?

Last edited by Quadrider10; Jun 17, 2019 at 06:20 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Quadrider10
Sweet, I'll definitely try and rout it similar to that!
One other question I have is, if the HU is replaced, does that USB port in the glove box still have power say to charge a phone? Or is power completely cut to it and it becomes completely useless?
That port plugs into the factory HU directly so it becomes a dead port when you swap HUs. I don't like the USB port being in the glovebox as it's inaccessible for driving and useless to connect a phone to. The cubby in the center console is probably where I'd opt to move it to, given a choice.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 06:54 AM

That port plugs into the factory HU directly so it becomes a dead port when you swap HUs. I don't like the USB port being in the glovebox as it's inaccessible for driving and useless to connect a phone to. The cubby in the center console is probably where I'd opt to move it to, given a choice.
What do u mean by it plugs into the factory hu directly? Like a male USB plugs into the factory HU or is it wired into the harness?

I'm asking cause I'm trying to figure out how I want to mount my new HU's usb port and also I want to get a dash cam in the future that requires a USB connection. If able, I'm trying to leave the cig lighter port empty and wire free. So if that USB in the glove box supplies power only then I can plug the dash cam into so all the wires are out if sight

Buy the sounds of it though, I'm thinking about just buying a 6' or so long USB cable and just plugging it into the back of the new HU for my phone to connect.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

So it has a OEM cable on both ends. One goes to the plug, the other goes to the factory HU. MZ360331EX

OEM USB
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:27 AM

I just looked at the back end of your HU Alpine ILX-W650. It's like any other aftermarket HU where USB port on the back is not proprietary. It will accept any good quality USB extension cable. The OEM HU USB is part of a harness that is proprietary and it will not work with aftermarket HU, unless you really want to spend the time fiddle with the wires to make it work, which makes no sense and waste of time.

Just like Splattj mentioned, the USB port in glove compartment is nearly useless, it would be better to ignore the port in the glove box and put the port somewhere in the center console. I just took it out, route the new USB cable through the same hole and leave it there. I haven't found a reason to really use the USB port, since I have Wireless Carplay on the Pioneer. In the future I may mount the port below the climate control as there is a convenience hole there already.

As for Dash cam, I wouldn't worry about trying to use USB port from the HU for that purpose. You will be better of using tap-a-fuse and wire it directly to the fuse box. On EVO it is so easy to route and hide cables. I have Blackvue dash cam, and it doesn't have UBS powered cable, but many other Dash cam do. You just need hardwiring kit for USB powered one. The kit only cost about $10-$15 on Amazon. Do a search for "dash cam hardwire kit micro usb or mini usb". I did that on my other car with Goluk dash cam.

I hope you don't have SSS package with your EVO, because you may end up replacing everything from AMP to Spearkers like I have.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 03:31 PM

Thanks for the pic and description! Damn, that really ruined my plans for the dash cam.

Yea I guess I'll just wire the cam directly into the fuse box, I just have to find what to tap into being it's only 5v 1a. I'll look for that kit.

For the head unit, looks like I'm just gonna run a USB C cable directly from the back of it to the center console for my phone.

Alright, appreciate the help guys! Thank you!
Old Jun 23, 2019, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Quadrider10
Thanks for the pic and description! Damn, that really ruined my plans for the dash cam.

Yea I guess I'll just wire the cam directly into the fuse box, I just have to find what to tap into being it's only 5v 1a. I'll look for that kit.

For the head unit, looks like I'm just gonna run a USB C cable directly from the back of it to the center console for my phone.

Alright, appreciate the help guys! Thank you!
A flush mount USB port or at least running an extension cable out to an accessible location is recommended. If you run just a USB C cable directly out from the head unit, it's gonna really suck if you break the phone end of the cable and have to rip out your head unit again just to replace the cable.

It is also not advised to retain the factory USB port even if you can. Some cars have retention harnesses available, but rarely do they work properly with Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, if at all.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by freakbrian
A flush mount USB port or at least running an extension cable out to an accessible location is recommended. If you run just a USB C cable directly out from the head unit, it's gonna really suck if you break the phone end of the cable and have to rip out your head unit again just to replace the cable.

It is also not advised to retain the factory USB port even if you can. Some cars have retention harnesses available, but rarely do they work properly with Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, if at all.
I just don't want to drill or cut out the dash or center console. That's why I don't want to mount a USB. And 3m tape is cheeky lol