Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Should I buy this evo or not

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I buy this evo or not

Ok so hi everyone I知 new here so I want to buy a 2006 evo 9 MR that has been rear ended and stripped and I知 wondering is it worth try to save another evo and bring it back up form the grave it has no front fenders, hood or front bumper not rad or intercooler and no motor and not trans or transforcase no recaro seats or back seats missing part of the center console and the rear is smashed but not that bad and the dude has a spare rear quarter and rear bumper but no trunk and I really want a evo but don稚 want to spend the 20 or 30 thousand dollars for one I want to build one from the ground up but I知 just wondering is it worth me buying and rebuilding or should I just save for a drivable evo that isn稚 wrecked?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 02:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Save yourself the headache and buy a running car. Unless you have
parts laying around and good resources I would scrap the whole starting from the bottom
thing lol.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 05:59 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hello & welcome to the EvOM boards @Wrecked_evo

Shoot us a link so we can take a look. If the price is right & the drivetrain is salvageable it might be a decent projec to consider

Old Jun 18, 2019, 06:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It would be a fun project but honestly you could be into it 20/30k before you know it and at that point it would just be easier to buy a running one this also sounds like one of those projects that could linger in your garage for years but just my 2 cents
Old Jun 18, 2019, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
What you have described sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen. Before you know it, unless you get parts at below wholesale, you could easily sink $25k - $30k resurrecting it. If you want to buy a clean shell and build from that, it would be a much better idea. Unless you can do everything yourself, including body work, it really isn't worth saving something as far gone as you described. My .02 cents worth.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
You heard if it from three members so far stay away.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by japspec
Save yourself the headache and buy a running car. Unless you have
parts laying around and good resources I would scrap the whole starting from the bottom
thing lol.
ok thanks everyone for your input and I get it I should stay away from it and I probably will but I was just thinking cause the dude selling is only wants 2800$ and I did a bunch of research try to see if maybe there was a chance to do it way under that budget of 20/30k but you guys know these cars way more then I do
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:24 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

If you have the mechanical ability, interest & the facility to do this (i.e. garage shop w/lift), $2800.00 is a throwaway price & you really cant go wrong.

Again, if the motor is rebuildable or working along w/the trans, TC & rear end, this would be a bargain price
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
If you have the mechanical ability, interest & the facility to do this (i.e. garage shop w/lift), $2800.00 is a throwaway price & you really cant go wrong.

Again, if the motor is rebuildable or working along w/the trans, TC & rear end, this would be a bargain price
So can I ask how much would it cost for a evo 9 motor and trans and tc just still trying to look and write down numbers to give a general idea of what it might cost

Last edited by Wrecked_evo; Jun 18, 2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

$2,800 is way too much money for a car that is wrecked, missing the entire drivetrain, also missing most of the interior, missing body panels, and I'm pretty sure has a branded title as well? That car is worth scrap. Definitely find something else. You can find clean title shells that is just missing drivetrain for $5k - $6k. I would run from what you are describing and thank us later.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by 4G63Rules
$2,800 is way too much money for a car that is wrecked, missing the entire drivetrain, also missing most of the interior, missing body panels, and I'm pretty sure has a branded title as well? That car is worth scrap. Definitely find something else. You can find clean title shells that is just missing drivetrain for $5k - $6k. I would run from what you are describing and thank us later.

Thanks so where can I find a clean shell
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:22 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Wrecked_evo
So can I ask how much would it cost for a evo 9 motor and trans and tc just still trying to look and write down numbers to give a general idea of what it might cost

Sorry, i totally missed reading where all the drivetrain comp were removed

If you search our Market Place, you may find a few examples of each but it will very expensive starting from scratch

Really dont see any benefit in purchasing this damaged shell
Old Jun 18, 2019, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Just on Cars.com alone I see running/driving Evo VIIIs in the mid-teens and Evo IXs in the low-20s, so they're out there. Autotrader has one in Ohio that's got a smack in its nose that is below 8 grand.

You might be able to get a shell right now, but it will take you longer to get it complete and running than to save up the difference to buy a functioning car outright.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...Vehicles=false

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...us=0#511671683
Old Jun 19, 2019, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

There are quite a few different Evo classifieds on Facebook. I've seen several clean shells in the $5k - $6k range. There are a couple others listed for $8k & $9,500, but those shells are well modified with only drivetrain missing. It will take some searching to find, but there are much better options out there.