Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

evo vs supra?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2004, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo vs supra?

I was just wondering..

civics and tegs are considered ricers

supras and skylines are the monsters or big boys.

where does the evo stand? right under the big boys or on par?

will the evo ever outperform supras? not just drag but handling capabilities also.

forget the emissions, I don't care about that.
Old May 8, 2004, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skylines are in a class of its own.

800hp on stock block is crazy

Originally Posted by moviemadness
I was just wondering..

civics and tegs are considered ricers

supras and skylines are the monsters or big boys.

where does the evo stand? right under the big boys or on par?

will the evo ever outperform supras? not just drag but handling capabilities also.

forget the emissions, I don't care about that.
Old May 8, 2004, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

can any of those cars rally race? I think not. (except for the skyline possibly)
Old May 8, 2004, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

Handling wise the Evo takes the supra. In a straight however a Supra can destroy almost anything when properly modded.
Old May 8, 2004, 10:01 AM
AOR

i've raced a bpu supra before on the highway before. let me tell you. those things are FAST. from 40-100 i downshifted and got WOT a bit earlier then the supra. i pulled alittle bit. simply due to the fact that i floored it first. once i hit 100 though that thing was flying at me like a bat from hell. however the highway we were racing on had many sharp sweeps. i was taking them at 130 mph but barely. the supra fell behind because i was able to take the turns alot faster then he was able to. so yeah you can say i won. bottom line though. when it comes to handling the evo wins hands down. but it when comes to highend acceleration supra wins easily.
Old May 8, 2004, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
from my undersanding the evo is feered in japan... i've seen videos of evo's taking supras and such... I would say it fall right below the supra's and skylines becasue of it's class (4 door sedan) and the fact it was designed for rally racing not grand touring... It's the underdawg in my eyes, but a modded evo should be feared

just a side note, i've taken stock supras with my stock Evo, and hung with lightly modded supras of course until higher gears then that 6-speed just starts to walk
Old May 8, 2004, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

I was always under the impression that rwd cars were better handling cars, and awd cars only had fast exiting speeds. People generally say that RWD cars are the better handlers, mainly because the AWD cars have understeer.
Old May 8, 2004, 06:00 PM

Better handling in that case is pretty much subjective I think. AWD cars tend to have more stability in cornering (ideally they would be completely neutral), while RWD cars can exhibit more oversteer characteristics (and thus providing more cornering force).
Old May 8, 2004, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

Location: [6][5][0]san mateo, California..."rEpN dA YaY aReA!!"
evo's are in a different class, well yes its in the class of japanese supper cars,but skylines supra's can outbeat the evo since supra's have twin turbo same with 300zx those two usually competes. indeed evo's can win in cornering n supra's can wipe out the evo on straights.
Old May 8, 2004, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by JDM_FeTiSh
evo's are in a different class, well yes its in the class of japanese supper cars,but skylines supra's can outbeat the evo since supra's have twin turbo same with 300zx those two usually competes. indeed evo's can win in cornering n supra's can wipe out the evo on straights.
Most supras at that level run big single turbos instead of sequential setups... I believe after 400hp or so you have to upgrade to a bigger turbine. And outbeat? LOL.. never heard that word before but I like it
Old May 8, 2004, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

If you watch all the motor trend stuff, they usually put evos and supras in the same race and ive seen the evo win alot more then any supra. The supra is a much faster in the straight80-100 and then some, the evo is better 0-60. the evo is a much better handling car compared to the supra. But supras can get up to stupid amounts of hp and higher top speed. I personally love the evo ive seen videos when the evo finished the 1/4 as soon as the supra starting to catch up. Each car is really a prefernce. Just get whatever you want.

(If this paragraph doesnt make sense at all. I just woke up from a nap. )
Old May 8, 2004, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

now does this prediction of evos handling better include the use of ACD and AYC?
or can just a simple suspension upgrade do the job?

plus,AWD cars are good at launching, but have a hard time climbing to top speeds.

also, people said that evo's shouldn't be launched cuz of ****ty clutches, and if you upgrade the clutch, then you're gonna nuke your tranny.
Old May 8, 2004, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

if you know how to launch it well you won't nuke anything, there are people who ranned 11s with the stock tranny/transfer case(with an upgraded clutch of course)
Old May 8, 2004, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

the Evo and the WRX STi are in a class of their own as other people have stated. They provide better handling than Supra's and they are close enough in straight line speed, but they are much much more practical in terms of a car that is useful as a daily driver.
Old May 8, 2004, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

ok then what is the proper way to launch the car? Isn't it just dropping the clutch? Cuz I heard feathering is just shaving your clutch.

Quick Reply: evo vs supra?