Notices
Site Feedback / Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

becoming clogged....

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2002, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
becoming clogged....

when i do a search on any topic, i usually get a good number of hits. but here's the problem....none of them have the answer i am looking for! i have to do a tremendous amount filtering in some cases just to find the answer to a question. here are some of the reasons:

*Someone asks a question, and the responses that come are "run a search". granted, it's easier to tell them to look it up (especially with damn light bulb sizes!!) but the problem this creates is another thread with keywords in it. running a search for bulb size no longer gives you 10 hits with good info in them, it gives you 500 hits and 490 of them say 'run a search'. starting to get annoying.

*the time spent telling someone to do a search, or searching for them and posting a link, the question could be answered. and therefor that creates 1 more thread that has an answer in it. i do agree that it gets annoying the 1,000 time someone asks what size the side marker bulbs are....but it's only going to get worse.

*also, by answering the same question multiple times, you can get different perspectives/opinions. it might not always be the case though since the same people tend to answer questions.

so what are my suggestions for this? maybe putting something on the homepage about searching before posting a question. or perhaps answering the question a set number of times. or deleting threads that end with no answer. i dunno. what does everyone else think? just trying to make the site more robust.
Old Nov 22, 2002, 03:45 AM

I agree. I also thing that any posts dealing with japanese girls kissing toes and other assorted B.S. sould be discussed on aol not on the lancer forums. I know there is an off topic link, but some of the **** on here you have to weed through is rediculous.
Old Nov 22, 2002, 06:22 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

The few who actually take the initiative to learn something for themselves without having other members cram it down their throats are suffering because of the impatient people who think asking questions like "What's the best intake?" for the 5 BILLIONTH time without looking. I know it's not so simple as enter search, click, click and there's youre answer, but most searches shouldn't be too hard to find.

One of the problems is it's a waste to merge a dozen threads where people digress and you go from "where can i find altezzas" to "yo, that's a hot ride", especially when they don't answer the original question and sometimes deleting them means deleting a valid answer or point regarding the original post. We try to keep things organized, but threads going far off topic or being repeated makes it kinda difficult for us.

If anyone has any more suggestions I'd at least consider them to clean up my forums for ease of searching. (I know for a fact Show and Shine" and "US Lancer General" are two of the messiest forums around.
Old Nov 22, 2002, 07:15 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Those aren't bad ideas. I may just run some common searches based on the top 10 and prune messages with "run a search" type answers that don't go anywhere.

Mark
Old Nov 22, 2002, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks Mark, that def will help
Old Nov 22, 2002, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

thanks guys....i just want to make it a more pleasant experience. i can't remember what got me so angry that i was looking for....maybe fog lights? i ran a search on fog lights to see what dif kinds people had. i went through probably 15 different threads reading every responce, and the only information i got was "get piaas" or "run a search". ARG! so i took more initiative and looked for info on other sites. but i did notice that this was starting to become a problem.

thanks for listening!