Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

Autocross and Time Trial events in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area for July

Old Jun 26, 2008, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autocross and Time Trial events in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area for July

Autocross and Time Trial events in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area for July - Come join the fun!

BMW CCA Lonestar Chapter - Autocross Event #5
http://www.lscbmwcca.org/autocross-schedule.html
July 12, 2008
Mineral Wells old Heliport (AKA Mineral Ring)
MAP with exact coordinates - http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=32.783071,-98.05079

SCCA - Texas Region Solo Event #5
http://www.autocross.com/texasregion/
July 13, 2008
Texas Motor Speedway Bus Parking Lot in Fort Worth, Texas
MAP with exact coordinates - http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=33.027627,-97.28548

Equipe Rapide - Autocross Club Texas Challenge Cup #5
http://www.autocross.com/er/equipera...tocrossevents/
July 27, 2008
Pennington Field in Bedford, TX
MAP with exact coordinates - http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...033,-97.134907

Porsche Club Maverick Region - Autocross
http://mav.pca.org/events/Autocross/AutoxSchedule.asp
None scheduled in July

What is autocross? From the Wikipedia - Autocross is a form of motorsports that emphasizes safe, low-cost competition and active participation. An autocross is a timed competition where drivers navigate one at a time through a temporary course marked by traffic cones, rather than racing on a track with multiple other cars, as in road racing or oval racing. Autocross tends to place more emphasis on car handling and driver skill than on sheer horsepower, and events typically have many classes which allow almost any vehicle, from economy sedans to purpose-built vehicles, to compete. Speeds are slower in absolute terms when compared to other forms of motorsports, usually not exceeding highway speeds, but the activity level (measured in discrete turns per minute) can be higher than even Formula One due to the large number of elements packed into each course. Autocross courses are typically 40 to 70 seconds in length. In addition to being a national-level motorsport in its own right, autocrossing is a good way to learn skills that transfer to road racing, as drivers learn vehicle control and club ethics.

Autocross events are usually held in large paved areas like parking lots or airfields. Typically, new courses are created for each event so drivers must learn a new course each time they compete. Prior to driving, a competitor will walk the course, taking mental notes, and developing a strategy to be refined upon subsequent runs. National organizations such as the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) and National Auto Sport Association (NASA) sponsor autocross events throughout the United States, and many areas have independent autocross clubs. Automobile manufacturers and their associated clubs (e.g. the BMW Car Club of America) sometimes hold marque autocross events
Old Jun 26, 2008, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

I thought you might find it interesting to compare the size of the event locations for reference.

Small -- Pennington field. This is the smallest and shortest track usually 30 to 40 seconds.

Medium -- Texas Motor Speedway Bus Parking Lot. Very smooth asphault and fun. Usually 50 to 60 seconds.

Large -- Mineral Wells Old Heliport. This thing is gigantic but is a very rough surface. I can get into 3rd gear at this location. From about 80 to 100 seconds!
Attached Thumbnails Autocross and Time Trial events in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area for July-tms-buslot.jpg   Autocross and Time Trial events in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area for July-mineral-wells.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old Jun 29, 2008, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting stuff - thanks!

Sebastian and I will probably be at the July SCCA TMS event for moral support only. The Evo is going through a race conversion to be more competitive at Nationals, but we hope to be ready for the mid-August Divisional.

Cheers,
Mark
Old Jun 29, 2008, 09:06 AM

so many owners, so little participation...

Originally Posted by Evo8RA
Interesting stuff - thanks!
The Evo is going through a race conversion to be more competitive at Nationals,,,,,
Cheers,
Mark
What kinda stuff??
PICS???
We like to watch

Great thread Jeremy

I love it...
this is what will make, or break NTEC...

owners excited about their EVOs
sharing their excitement
drawing others into new ways to enjoy their EVOs
Old Jun 30, 2008, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

I just wanted to vacuum out the Evo a bit with my supercharged Hoover. Here's the result.
Attached Thumbnails Autocross and Time Trial events in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area for July-interior67.jpg   Autocross and Time Trial events in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area for July-interior68.jpg   Autocross and Time Trial events in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area for July-interior69.jpg   Autocross and Time Trial events in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area for July-trunk72.jpg   Autocross and Time Trial events in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area for July-front60.jpg  

Old Jun 30, 2008, 01:45 PM

wow,
that's taking "fun"
to a whole new level...
Old Jun 30, 2008, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Is that your garage or the neighborhood chop shop?!
Old Jun 30, 2008, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Oh my gosh... I can't believe you tore it down THAT far.

You wouldn't happen to have any "go fast" or "better handeling" parts you want to offload do you?

Good luck on the build. I can tell you're going to have a real monsterous beast when you're done. More so than it already is.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Evo8RA
I just wanted to vacuum out the Evo a bit with my supercharged Hoover. Here's the result.
Damn you weren't kidding when you said that you were going to strip it out.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Someday
You wouldn't happen to have any "go fast" or "better handeling" parts you want to offload do you?
At this stage, I just have lots of stock parts I've taken off - every bit of the interior and brake rotor/calipers. I'll let you know if anything performance gets replaced.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

SCCA Solo2 -- this coming Sunday. Click on the link above and get yourself signed up!
Old Jul 12, 2008, 05:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Someday
SCCA Solo2 -- this coming Sunday. Click on the link above and get yourself signed up!
Since the Evo is still going through its class conversion for the mid-August event, I'll come by and watch you kick STI butt.

Mark
Old Jul 12, 2008, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

This is unfortunate but something has come up last minute and I will not be attending tomorrow's event.. Bummer.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Doh, missed you out there!

I went back and forth with some sort of Mazda for 1st place in Novice and as I was starting my 4th run I heard "and so and so takes over first with his time of xx" and I pushed it too hard and spun out (stayed on the course though).

2nd's not too bad though for my 2nd autox ever!

Still wouldn't have been competitive in STU since my best time was 51.3xx and STU was 47-48 seconds for place.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Wow that's great! Congratulations on getting second place! Awesome job.

I wish I could have been there. Next time!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Autocross and Time Trial events in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area for July