Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

West Texas / Odessa - Midland, Evos n Ralliarts.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2014, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool! We can all meet up for food n a drive! Our gas stations switched...91 octane is now the best we have here.. Just a heads up...

Chris

Sent from my Xperia ion using IB AutoGroup
Old Jun 7, 2014, 09:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
I'm bored out of my mind!!!!
Old Jun 8, 2014, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by cjsabaki
Cool! We can all meet up for food n a drive! Our gas stations switched...91 octane is now the best we have here.. Just a heads up...

Chris

Damn, I was hoping there was still 93 left out there. Oh well, been dealing with 91 so far, no big deal.

Originally Posted by l888apex
I'm bored out of my mind!!!!
Haha sorry, there's not a whole lot out here.

West Texas / Odessa - Midland, Evos n Ralliarts.-4szymhu.jpg

Just sitting there waiting to go! Though I may bring the STi instead of the Evo first...
Old Jun 8, 2014, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by DrHeLpErZx

Damn, I was hoping there was still 93 left out there. Oh well, been dealing with 91 so far, no big deal.

Haha sorry, there's not a whole lot out here.

Just sitting there waiting to go! Though I may bring the STi instead of the Evo first...
And no E85 either... uuug.. but we do have VP Octanium fuel booster at my store! Lol!! Turns a tank of 91 into 96 - 98 octane.

Pool is open and everybody welcome!

Chris

Old Jun 8, 2014, 03:30 PM

And no E85 either... uuug.. but we do have VP Octanium fuel booster at my store! Lol!! Turns a tank of 91 into 96 - 98 octane.

Pool is open and everybody welcome!

Chris

Hmmm, I've heard most octane boosters are gimmicks or barely increase octane at all. Though VP is well known... I'll do some more research.

Quick calculation though, on a 14 gallon tank (Evo IX), 8 octane => 4 AKI so...

Code:
(10 gallons treated/14 gallon tank)*(8 Octane/2) = 2.86 Effective AKI Increase

91 AKI + 2.86 AKI = 93.86 AKI
So my tank of 91 becomes ~94 octane. If it works as well as it claims on my Evo for a full fill up.

EDIT: What baffles me, is that if it increases the octane of 10 gallons of fuel by 8 points, with only 32 oz (1/4 gal.), it would have to have an AKI rating of 251...

How much does a bottle go for?

Last edited by DrHeLpErZx; Jun 8, 2014 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 04:36 PM

Retails for like $45.00...... Race gas is like $11 - $12.00 a gallon, aviation gas is???

Old Jun 8, 2014, 05:32 PM

Damn that's expensive, especially if I was to run it every tank. I'd rather run Toluene or Xylene for $18.98/gal and it has an octane AKI of 115-117.

Code:
((91 AKI*(14 gal - x gal))/14 gal)+((116.5 AKI* x gal)/14 gal)=93 AKI

X = ~1.1 Gal

-OR-

((91 AKI*(14 gal - x gal))/14 gal)+((116.5 AKI*x gal)/14 gal)=93.86 AKI (Equivalent AKI of VP Octanium)

X = ~1.57 Gal
So basically, $18.98 per fillup will make my 91 into 93
And $29.80 per fillup will make my 91 into 93.86 like VP Octanium. Not really a ton saved if the Octanium works as well as it claims.

The only issue is that Toluene and Xylene are harder on engine seals and other plastic parts like hoses, so it's not really for long term use. Octanium is ~63% Isooctane and ~16% Toluene plus some other anti corrosive inhibitors. It's why it says it's for race use only.

Aviation gas is leaded (like 4 times as much as leaded car gas used to be) and its ~$6/gal
Don't know if that would be worth the extra fouling up and spark plugs from the lead. Plus it'll kill your cats if you still have them.

Speaking of which, how is inspections and whatnot in Texas? How often is it and how hard is it to pass?
Old Jun 9, 2014, 07:11 AM

Damn that's expensive, especially if I was to run it every tank. I'd rather run Toluene or Xylene for $18.98/gal and it has an octane AKI of 115-117.

Code:
((91 AKI*(14 gal - x gal))/14 gal)+((116.5 AKI* x gal)/14 gal)=93 AKI

X = ~1.1 Gal

-OR-

((91 AKI*(14 gal - x gal))/14 gal)+((116.5 AKI*x gal)/14 gal)=93.86 AKI (Equivalent AKI of VP Octanium)

X = ~1.57 Gal
So basically, $18.98 per fillup will make my 91 into 93
And $29.80 per fillup will make my 91 into 93.86 like VP Octanium. Not really a ton saved if the Octanium works as well as it claims.

The only issue is that Toluene and Xylene are harder on engine seals and other plastic parts like hoses, so it's not really for long term use. Octanium is ~63% Isooctane and ~16% Toluene plus some other anti corrosive inhibitors. It's why it says it's for race use only.

Aviation gas is leaded (like 4 times as much as leaded car gas used to be) and its ~$6/gal
Don't know if that would be worth the extra fouling up and spark plugs from the lead. Plus it'll kill your cats if you still have them.

Speaking of which, how is inspections and whatnot in Texas? How often is it and how hard is it to pass?

State inspections here are not bad, bigger cities are more emission - smog strict....
Xylene mix is a good option, throw in some 2cycle oil since its a dry solvent and it works well and reasonable!!

On the VP stuff, I said " retail" if ya need some I will see about ordering in a few cases and see how low I can get the cost.

Av gas is a good option if ya only blend in 2 or 3 gallons, and we do have a community airport but its been years since I bought fuel there.

Chris
Old Jun 9, 2014, 09:56 AM

Yeah, see how low you can get the Octanium, I might split some with you since IsoOctane and toluene would be the most ideal, just harder to come by than the xylene.

I really wish we got E85 or even 93 at the least hah. I wonder how cheap it is to start a gas station...? Haha
Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:47 PM

Yeah, see how low you can get the Octanium, I might split some with you since IsoOctane and toluene would be the most ideal, just harder to come by than the xylene.

I really wish we got E85 or even 93 at the least hah. I wonder how cheap it is to start a gas station...? Haha

HELL YEAH! A hot rod / performance themed gas station would work here!! Sell E85 several race fuels and methanol....Never did find out why some areas get 91 and sum get 93, other than altitude affecting " required " min octane...

Can do on the VP buy!

Give me a shout when ya get settled!

NAPA on 2nd St.

432.924.1733 Cell
Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
What's your position over at Halliburton Drhelper?
Old Jun 14, 2014, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by l888apex
What's your position over at Halliburton Drhelper?
Field Engineer
Old Jun 14, 2014, 03:54 PM

Did ya make it down here yet??

Old Jun 14, 2014, 03:57 PM

Did ya make it down here yet?? Sent from my Xperia ion using IB AutoGroup
Yeah I did on Thursday. Just been in safety classes all day long. I'll probably have to work straight for about 3 weeks before I get some time off. :-/
Old Jun 14, 2014, 04:42 PM

Yeah I did on Thursday. Just been in safety classes all day long. I'll probably have to work straight for about 3 weeks before I get some time off. :-/
Cool, understand that! Did you end up in Hobbs or Odessa?

Chris

Quick Reply: West Texas / Odessa - Midland, Evos n Ralliarts.