*BEWARE* parts may mysteriously fall off your car

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*BEWARE* parts may mysteriously fall off your car

EDIT: video of broken A/C compressor on page 2

Sorry for the novel...

So Im pretty sure most of you know the problems I've had my with my car and Mitsubishi by now, I've documented my issues and voiced my displeasure on many occausions. Well Im here to inform you all that I have run into yet ANOTHER problem with my GTS. What's the problem you ask? Parts breaking off of my car while basically being at a stand still.

About 3 weeks ago I had my A/C compressor break right off my short block along with the belt popping completely off. How did this happen, you ask? Well, I was at the intersection of Islington/Evans Ave waiting to make a left hand turn northbound on to Islington, has the cars travelling westbound on Evans cleared through the intersection, I went to make the left hand turn when I suddenly heard a bang from under the hood. Instantly, the check engine light came on, along with the battery and overheating display, and my power steering went as well. Luckly no cars were driving in the left lane, so I managed to force the steering wheel to make the left hand turn. Since the car was some what driveable I managed to slowly drive it over the Gardiner overpass, down a small side street to the Costco parking lot. (If I wasn't able to get a hold of my tow trucker drive I didn't wanna get ticketed for haing the car on the street) From there I opened the hood and immediately saw the belt popped off the pulleys, ok not that bad right? NOPE, from further inspection I noticed my A/C compressor had broke right off the engine block and was now hanging almost below the car, thankfully the hose was keeping it from falling right off.

So luckly I managed to get a hold of my mechanic and he was able to call a tow truck to tow my car to his shop. This happened around 4pm in Etobicoke , so it would of been tough to get a tow truck to tow me to Autopark Mitsubishi in Burlington. Once the car arrived ar my mechanic's shop, we were curious to see what had happened. My mechanic went under the car and noticed that the 3 bolts holding the bracket for the A/C compressor had sheered right off, the heads were missing and the bolts were still inside the engine block. So obviously this became a bigger issue then first thought, since the short block had been replaced on my GTS in July, and the A/C compressor was one of the many parts that were disassembled off the motor before it was pulled out. My mechanic came to the conclusion that from the condition of the bolts they were over tightened and if they were loose they would of backed right out of the block. So at this point I knew I had to call head office first thing Monday morning before I wasted money towing it back to Autopark Mitsubishi and getting the usual run around. Monday morning comes and I call head office and explain what had happened, what my mechanic had noticed, and what was believed to have caused the problem. The customer service rep instructed that I take the car back to the same dealership that had installed the motor, so that they could inspect the car and contact head office about the issue and whether they would have to send a head office rep to see the car.

Few days go by, I managed to get my tow truck driver to tow the car out to Autopark to begin the process. Shortly after the car arrives at the dealership, I am contacted by the service rep and he begins to give me the typical Mitsubishi service run around and how after further inspection by their tech, he came to the conclusion that the A/C compressor broke off the block because something had hit the part off and that I had a small scuff mark on the bottom of my bumper. I nearly fell to the ground after hearing this brillant diagnosis that came from one of Mitsubishi's "technicians" and their service rep. I ask him how it's possible for something to hit my A/C compressor with such force, a part that is mounted almost mid way on the short block and obviously clear from the floor of the car, and would cause it to break off without a clear indication on the compressor of an object striking it. Even if the compressor was hit, something would have had to come through the front of my bumper, right through my rad and then strike the A/C compressor for it to even budge...in some cases not even a front end accident will cause parts to break off an engine block. We state our differences over the issue and he then informs me that they had contacted head office with their diagnosis and that they would contact them if it was covered under powertrain warranty, since my bumper to bumper had passed.

Next morning I had a voice mail from Autopark with the head offices ruling, and to no surprises they said head office would not cover the problem...this was followed by the price of parts and labour to repair the issue. Obviously I don't agree with the decision made by head office, so I immediately call head office and voice my displeasure with the decision and demand a proper explanation. From the way the customer service rep was speaking it almost seem that their was no record of them even making a decision on my car, almost like they weren't even contacted by Autopark. The customer service rep then tells me he will pass this on to somebody within and that he would call me back and let me know what was going on. Day goes by nothing, next day after that goes by...nothing, I call them again and ask if something was being done, he tells me he would find out and call me back. Guess what...no call that day. It's friday November 12th and after waiting for a call I decide I would personally walk into the Mitsubishi head office and deal with the problems face to face. I arrive there, get buzzed into the front reception area and ask to speak to somebody, since I had no names of anyone I spoke to from head office, and the guy at reception tells me I have to call them through the customer service line and that I cannot speak to a head office rep in person. I voice my displeasure and explain to him that I have tried calling the customer service line to speak to somebody and that they simply had no clue of what was going on with my car and that they would have somebody from within contact me. He instructs me to leave my contact info, along with my VIN number, and the problem and that somebody would call me and to my surprise...within an hour I get a call from Vern at Mitsubishi head office. He explains to me that they're in the process of investigating the problem and that they had requested more pictures from Autopark regarding the issue and that he would contact me early next week...fine!

The following week rolls by and again I hear nothing, so this time around I decide I'll call Autopark and find out if they had heard anything. I get in touch with Larry and he doesn't have the slightest clue what's going on with the situation and explains to me that he was never contacted by Mitsubishi. I immediately contact head office and once again I get the same typical service. I wait until friday November 19th and again show up at Mitsubishi head office but this time around I couldn't get inside the reception area because nobody was there. So I use the phone they have in their vestibule and call Vern's direct extension but get his voice mail. At this point my blood is boiling so I figure I would not leave until I got a hold of somebody, didn't matter who it was and how they were related to the issue, they were gonna hear me out. So I call the reception extension and somebody picks up and I ask if I could come in to speak to somebody in person over the issue, again he explains how I cannot speak to somebody in person for security reasons and that I should call customer service. At this point I let off and rant to him how the customer service is useless and how I want answers to the problems and delays Im experiencing with my car. Surprisingly he tells me he'll try and get somebody on the phone but he can't promise me anything but a minute goes by and the phone in the vestibule rings, I pick up and Im now dealing with a head office rep named Jeff. I explain to him my displeasure with the problem and how everything is being dealt with, explain to him the countless issues I've had with my car since the first month of owning it, and all the headaches I've had dealing with Mitsubishi in general. So after stating my point I get the typical run around, he explains to me that this process take time (almost over 2 weeks to make a decision?) how Mitsubishi cannot control the privately owned dealerships, that this may be a problem because the "integrity" of the car and work have been altered from the engine replacement, and that I should be dealing with the dealership to get them to fix it because it isn't a problem on head offices end. After all the excuses and stories I was given, he plays the sympathy card on me and how he "really...REALLY" feels bad for my troubles and experiences and how he would try and speed up the process. Ok...

This week rolls by, Monday I get no call, Tuesday no call, so I decide I'll call Autopark to see if they've heard anything and they say nope...ok. Wednesday I get off early and decide I'll make a stop at Autopark to see what's going on and get something I left in my car. I walk in, go up to the service desk and the rep tells me how he called my serval times and left me three, count them, THREE voice messages. I tell him I didn't recieve anything and he insists that he left me a message telling me head office said no to repairing it. and as soon I heard this I got a rush of anger through me. All this calling, explaining my situation for what? to get a bone dry no with no explanation on their behalf? not even a call directly from Vern or Jeff from head office explaining their findings on why it wouldn't be covered? nothing. The service rep then directs me to Larry, the service manager, where me, Larry and Tom, technician rep I believe, talk about the issue in his office. At this point I've boiled over as we talk about the issue and how Im still left with no car, no proper diagnosis and explanation on why something like this would happen, especially after the motor was replaced. Obviously it's clear that this has become a cat and mouse game and that each side is trying to push the issue on somebody else, so with this happening you'll get the typically responses. Autopark sticks with the story that something hit the part off, perhaps "somebody tried jacking the car up from the A/C compressor", or perhaps I could off been driving with my music high and didn't hear an object strike the car. What Autopark was not happy about at all was the fact that a rep inside the Mitsubishi head office would throw them under the bus and claim that the integrity of the car and work performed had changed from factory. I was asked for them information of the person who had said this and that Autopark would be calling head office to complain about this...yet screw me though!

So today (November 25th) I decided Id call head office again and get answers, and to a huge surprise who do I get???? VERN!!!! the same guy that was suppose to get back to me regarding the issue. I immediately demand answers and want a proper explanation from head office and not something passed down through the dealership. He explains to me that appond inspection, they came to the conclusion that they "did not find a manufacturing defect with the issue" and that they would not cover it. Basically anything I said during that phone call he would respond with "we did not find a manufacturing defect", at times I would finish saying something and he wouldn't even respond, I had a feeling he was putting the phone down or something. The attitude and his uselessness during this phone call just made me hang up on him. I couldn't bare another minute of bs from his mouth or anybodies for that matter regarding this issue, Mitsubishi in general has issues across the board.

Im going start piecing everything together and tomorrow morning I plan on contacting the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan and getting further information. As soon as I have all my ducks in order I plan on filing an application to the agency and maybe contacting a lawyer during this process. If Mitsubishi doesn't want to pay for this repair and answer to their poor quality of work, then I'll try my best and explain to an arbitrator why I want a buyback. In all honesty, if this problem was fixed by Mitsubishi I wouldn't even stress another minute, because the final straw was drawn with me owning this car. I just want the car fixed so I can sell it. Mitsubishi would never EVER hear from me again.

short block replacement rant
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/8766789-post56.html

altercation with dixie mitsubishi rant
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/6030088-post12.html

dixie mitsubishi rant
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/6720709-post39.html

Last edited by TRASHY_GTS; Nov 28, 2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

why would you want them to fix it... i would demand another car at this point..
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sr20kidD
why would you want them to fix it... i would demand another car at this point..
to be honest with you, I don't even want that from them. Im done with this company and I can't believe I paid almost $30000 for a headache, for a car that has spent countless amounts of time inside a dealership. If anything Id rather take a buy back and walk away.

Mitsubishi knows damn well this car is infested with problems, the evidence is in their files.

Last edited by TRASHY_GTS; Nov 25, 2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 04:40 AM
Evolving Member

Jesus man! Typical mitsu service. You should see what thease monkey F(**&^ did to my Evo.

No WORDS!
Old Nov 26, 2010, 06:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TheNEWB
Jesus man! Typical mitsu service. You should see what thease monkey F(**&^ did to my Evo.

No WORDS!

That's sh!tty man, care to explain?
Old Nov 26, 2010, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

If for any reason anyone on this board or outside for this matter, has even a fraction of the problems I've had with Mitsubishi, here's a website to look at.

http://www.camvap.ca/index.htm

or contact this number for more information: 1-800-207-0685

As a word of advice, always...I mean always, record the names of the people you have spoken to, the time/dates, keep every single record/work order, and even get a second opinion from an outside source, because if you ever run into major issues with them and experience what I have, you can always resort to agencies like CAMVAP to rule in your favour.

Last edited by TRASHY_GTS; Nov 26, 2010 at 06:32 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

I wish i never bought a mitsubishi also.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 07:56 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow man, that is terrible! I honestly dont know what I would do in your situation...

I can suggest to maybe contact the toronto star or cbc news or breakfast television.. A story this big they would for sure jump on and investigate.

I read a story in the star last week about a guys sierra which has issues. Star contacted the head office and resolved the situation for the guy after months of him getting know where.

Before you go the expensive route of an attorney, I'd explore the media route.

keep us posted on how things go.

ps.
also maybe have a third party technician do an inspection and get his input. Right now I'd say your mechanic has a bias in the matter as he is your mechanic as does mitsubishi since they did the labour. Third party might help.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 11:43 AM

Damn dude sorry to hear, I hope it all works out.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 01:46 PM
Former Sponsor

I would pay the money to take it to an independant dealership and have them do a followup. Then send it to anyone who will listen. Sorry to hear you going thru so much trouble. If it was thru one of the dealerships we are aligned with then, I have some pull. But not these dealerships you are mentioning.

only places I let touch my car is

JOJO at Erin Mills,
JOJO when she was at Dixie
Scarborough
and the good guys at Maple.

They always give me straight talk and not much in the way of BS.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

UPDATE: So friday I gave CAMVAP a call to get some information and guess what???? Mitsubishi was one of the two manufactures that did not agree to participate in this program. We even shared a laugh about how its funny Mitsubishi doesn't agree to participate in this program, basically leaving their customers in the cold. By the way she was talking almost seemed like it was a very common call they get. She was pretty helpful and just suggested I contact the media or go the route of taking Mitsubishi to small claims court.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 08:25 AM

Citytv, cp24, etc. There is a program that they have with this old guy who helps people with complaints like this. Don't remember the name though.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

^^^^ I think you are talking about "Silverman Helps"???

Looks like his show got canceled!

http://www.blogto.com/city/2009/06/p...n_still_helps/
Old Nov 28, 2010, 09:11 AM

Try this guy: autoshop@cp24.com

The guy's name who is hostin the show is Mohamed Bouchama. He has a website also http://www.carhelpcanada.com.

I forwarded my concerns bout my SE to them last summer never heard back after though... Maybe you will get lucky.

I love mitsu, but I hate their service... Best backed cars in the world, eh
Old Nov 28, 2010, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by s84kam
I wish i never bought a mitsubishi also.
What issues have you had???

Quick Reply: *BEWARE* parts may mysteriously fall off your car