Notices

Engine Block Heater Install

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Block Heater Install

Hey so my car sits outside all the time...and when its outside for prolonged time and I start it, it does seem a bit sluggish. So I went to Crappy Tire and bought a block heater; vehicle specific.

Trying to install it, im wondering where our freeze plug is located. So a couple question on top of that..... is the freeze plus an actual plug or just an opening in the engine?

Anyone ever installed one of these?
Old Jan 6, 2010, 01:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would love to see if this can be done, but our car is pretty bullet proof for out door sitting. Giving it a little bit to warm up should make it ok to drive. One thing you may wish to consider is switching to a 0w20 oil. I am running the 0w20 Mobil Advanced Fuel Economy oil from across the boarder.

I will ask around I think one of my friend said they have a block heater , gonna see if he installed it no problem
Old Jan 6, 2010, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

My understanding is that Mitsubishi cars are supposed to start down to -35 without such a heater, which is why they don't offer it as an option.

Best thing you can do is switch to a 0w oil
Old Jan 6, 2010, 01:28 PM
Former Sponsor

I am heading across the border maybe as soon as Friday to pick up some more for a few guys on here, pm me if your interested . Mobil 1 has the info on their website and the FAQ about 0w oils.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...l_1_0W-20.aspx
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...s_Mileage.aspx
Old Jan 6, 2010, 07:33 PM

Hey so i fiddled around a bit and the only place i could find where the block heater could fit was in the driver side of the engine. its a small bolt size hole which is located close to the battery. a little hard to install the metal bolt size heater but it fit in there and clipped to the engine. Ill wait for confirmation before i leave it in overnight to warm the block up.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 04:59 AM
Evolving Member

block heater

hey bud, how much was your block heater?
Old Jan 9, 2010, 06:58 AM

It was 50 at Crappy tire....they had to special order it but it came in within 2 days...
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by andrewp
Hey so i fiddled around a bit and the only place i could find where the block heater could fit was in the driver side of the engine. its a small bolt size hole which is located close to the battery. a little hard to install the metal bolt size heater but it fit in there and clipped to the engine. Ill wait for confirmation before i leave it in overnight to warm the block up.

So andrewp how did the whole install and everything workout for you? this is the first time i heard of anyone doing the block heater install and everything on their own, i havn't had a chance to look under the hood since it's been below -20 here but i'll see if i can find the same little hole you were talking about,
-but all in all does your self install block heater work? they want to charge me 300 bones at the delership to do it all for me

-Ron
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:14 AM

I useally leave a small heater in the car no ice no cold car ^^
Old Jan 14, 2010, 05:05 AM
Evolving Member

i cant find the place where you put in the block heater, can you give us a picture?
Old Jan 17, 2010, 01:35 PM

Sorry I just came back from Chicago...here are a few pictures. Its the only place where the heating element rod could fit (or at least i could find). I checked the manufacteurs site and it said the position was correct...but I wish someone could confirm it. The install was a biotch...its tight as heck and still I dont know if its correct...i havent left it on over night...

Bad picture...above my finger is the location.

This is a close up...note above the black wire and below the nut you can see the clipped in area.

Once again...you can see its clipped into the only area I could find....

I want to state again, I am looking for confirmation on this....if this is the correct area...its a tight location but it did fit perfectly and clipped in perfectly...
Old Jan 17, 2010, 01:39 PM

Sorry for the massive pictures...but you can see what I mean....and if you try to install this yourself, please someone just confirm the location....other than that...300 for an install....pfffft....thats horrible...i bought it for 50....and yea it was a pain...but it took me 30 minutes max....and thats cause i i was looking for the damn hole.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 07:30 AM

i went to Canadian tire here in Regina and they told me they don't carry Mitsubishi parts and that i had to go straight to the dealer, for parts. do you have a part number or something that i can use?
were you able to get someone to confirm that it went to the right spot?
Old Jan 26, 2010, 09:54 AM
Former Sponsor

super crammed in there lol
Old Jan 27, 2010, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

i went to ask canadian tire and they said my car was too new.

will the 2008 work on the 2009 2.4L?

Quick Reply: Engine Block Heater Install