Notices

Annual Winter Time Message "Change your tires for winter"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Annual Winter Time Message "Change your tires for winter"

I think I say this every year, and it is because I genuinely mean it. I dont care where you buy your tires from. Just make sure you buy a good set of winter wheels or at the very least please buy all season's that can give you a fighting chance in snow.

My plea is directly mostly at New Mitsubishi Lancer and Canadian Spec Ralliart owners which have the Dunlop SP5000M tire equipped as OE 18 inch tires. These tires in my opinion are flat out dangerous in the Winter time and generally do not have a very long tire life. Dunlop in the early years of the 2008+ Lancer did a very poor job addressing warranty issues and could really not explain the unusual tire wear patterns on the tire. I myself experienced this tire wear issue.

For the record, the Dunlop SP5000M tire is ranked as one of the worst tires on Tirerack. http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...irePageLocQty= Any other tire under the sun as an all season or as a winter tire would improve your odds of having an accident free Winter for 2011-2012.

If you absolutely have to go thru winter on All Seasons, then I recommend these 3 tires for the exceptional handling performance in light to moderate winter conditions. They will at least give you a fighting chance.

1. Continental ExtremeContact DWS - I have driven this tire since it came out and was probably one of the first to advocate its use in snow. Many think, Any all season tire in snow = Weak Sauce. But after many high profile tests, the attitude towards this specific tire has resulted in a nod of respect for its ability. It wont help you drive like a Boss in 20 cm of snow. But it will get you to the corner store and back without getting stuck.

2. Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS P.P. - I have used this tire in the past and its one of the more established tires out there for All Season. It does not compromise dry summer handling one bit. I never got to thrash around too much in the snow, but I hardly ever remember becoming stuck, like my Dunlops frequently did. The tire price may be high but its worth every penny.

3. Sailun Atrezzo Z4+AS All season - A complete under dog, the Sailun All season tire has surpassed everyones expectations including my own. When you think Chinese tire company a slight chill cycles thru your body. But Sailun has put forward a solid tire that delivers a respectable summer drive experience, and capable winter and rain traction. Sailun has a ways to go in terms of upping its game in the extreme dry driving category but they have earned the right to be in the market. Plan and simple, the tire half the price, but has quality and performance the will exceed your expectation as an economy all season tire. I will be doing a review match up of this tire vs. another tire in the same segment. The General Tire Altimax HP. Another tire that I think has been ignored as a solid performer and doesn't see a lot of review action.

In terms of winter tires, their are countless options. Its virtually impossible to do worse than your OEM rubber.

-Evosoul
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I were to promote safety for the club members I would tell them to buy snow tires or take the bus!
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by KahoX
If I were to promote safety for the club members I would tell them to buy snow tires or take the bus!
Well its in their, but I posted that up because I get a million emails saying. "I cant afford a second set of tires." what All season should I buy. lol i cant stop people from cheaping out.

My safety notice to car club members is DO NOT DRIVE ON YOUR DUNLOP SP5000M tires. Anyone who drives with them knows. They cant do anything. Even the 16 inch OE Yokohama tires are probably 5X better in the snow than the Dunlops.

I only say it, cause I know these tires can kill
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:46 PM

AWD + Dunlop sp5000 + Any snow = ALL WHEEL DRIFT.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 01:01 PM

Precisely why I plan on putting my 16" Toyo Spectrums on this week. Only time I slide with these things is when I actively "TRY" to on fresh powder.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by aKeio
This or any tire of you are tuned well

Get rid of these tires. They are more then dangerous in the rain let alone cold weather.

First guy who crashes with the dunlops this year I say we get a dunce cap an make em wear
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aKeio
Make that unintentional all wheel drift...

Ran those Dunlops till the end of November last year. Switched to winter tires on steelies after that. Put it this way: we had a freak snowstorm in the spring of this year, after I had put my new tires and rims on, and my Hankook summer tires did a better job in the snow than those Dunlops.

Do yourself a big favor and follow what the OP says! Even the cheapest of the cheap winter tires will make your drive SOOO much safer.

To the OP: post your msg on the main RA and Lancer forums as well. It's a good message and shouldn't be overlooked. Maybe it should even be a sticky on the Ralliart tire and wheel forum.

Last edited by SudzRA; Oct 25, 2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 03:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SudzRA
Make that unintentional all wheel drift...

Ran those Dunlops till the end of November last year. Switched to winter tires on steelies after that. Put it this way: we had a freak snowstorm in the spring of this year, after I had put my new tires and rims on, and my Hankook summer tires did a better job in the snow than those Dunlops.

Do yourself a big favor and follow what the OP says! Even the cheapest of the cheap winter tires will make your drive SOOO much safer.

To the OP: post your msg on the main RA and Lancer forums as well. It's a good message and shouldn't be overlooked. Maybe it should even be a sticky on the Ralliart tire and wheel forum.
Here is the kicker. The USA Ralliart 2009+ never got the POS Dunlop SP5000M tire. They received a slightly variant of the Yokohama EVO X OE tire. Mitsubishi Canada / Japan decided against using the Yokohama tire because that exact replacement tire was not available in Canada at the time. So someone said, hey.... lets use that Awesome Dunlop SP5000M tire. lol its just a guess, but the conversation could have gone like that
Old Oct 25, 2011, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

People need to get winter tires! Even if there are some all-season tires that can work in the winter... they won't work anywhere near as well as winter tires.

AWD guys can get away with "Performance Winter Tires"... but I think 2WD cars should use proper winter tires. On my RWD I used Performacne Winters... and they worked... but nowhere near as good as my Nokian Hakka tires (proper winter tires).
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:30 AM

I'm just waiting for the government to get off its lazy rear end and actually mandate the use of winter tires. IT would be one of the only "good" things this government has done lately.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:03 PM

what are the best tires for rain?
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:03 PM

would they be the same as snow tires?
Old Oct 27, 2011, 02:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by cmoney20
what are the best tires for rain?
Rain tires and snow tires operate on similar principles when it comes to tread design. You want to evacuate water / snow away. But Snow tire compounds make the tire more flexable / soft for ice.

A snow tire isnt going to let you down in rain to be honest. Most perform well.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 09:09 PM

^ indeed. Snows are always good for the rain. To me if my snow tires get through all the slushy crap without problems then they can get me through a little old rain storm.

On another note.....My TPMS sensors went off cause of the recent dips in temperature, I go to the good old money grabbing gas station and put some air in.....what do I find......my tires are down to 20 PSI with no leaks......what the heck? I though these things were supposed to go off after only a 4 PSI change. Oh well. Spent a dollar filled em up and Im switching my tires tomorrow morning. But I did get a taste for what the next 4-5 months are gonna be with the dang little caution lite lit all the time.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by KahoX
He is promoting safety....

And I`d never take the MotherF*#$ Bus ever again. Sorry but after driving a car...The bus is not an option. Being sardined on the Transit with Everyone and their dog is NOT how I want to spend my winter season. Not to mention freezing out in the snow waiting for the stupid thing

Guys If you own a GTS or Ralliart with an 18 Inch Rim, PLEASE Change those damn Dunlops. I remember Dixie gave me my fist Demo In November and it was a GTS, I slipped out on small patch of ice and 360`d onto a curb...Luckily...No damage but still scary as hell.

Quick Reply: Annual Winter Time Message "Change your tires for winter"