EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Toronto Lancer Club (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/toronto-lancer-club-305/)
-   -   A very sad story: Toyota Crash / Recall *some may find this hard to watch (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/toronto-lancer-club/449820-very-sad-story-toyota-crash-recall-some-may-find-hard-watch.html)

evo_soul Sep 30, 2009 01:26 PM

A very sad story: Toyota Crash / Recall *some may find this hard to watch

Please take a moment, if you can stomach it to read this story, and if you can go this far, listen to the Audio Playback of this drivers last moments. After, think for a moment and reflect.

If you have have any who owns a Toyota please be sure to inform them of the recall in effect.

http://www.sandiego6.com/mostpopular...uxTtxrK4Q.cspx

http://www.sandiego6.com/media/lib/3...295/car911.wma

There have been tragic things going on all around us this week, as a personal request, when it comes to this story please be respectful with your comments.

ssg_petty_210 Sep 30, 2009 01:37 PM

wow, that is really sad. my heart goes out to this family.

Jacoby Sep 30, 2009 02:04 PM

Why didnt he take it out of gear? There must be more to this than a floor mat..

In any case.. RIP :(

evo_soul Sep 30, 2009 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jacoby (Post 7561090)
Why didnt he take it out of gear? There must be more to this than a floor mat..

In any case.. RIP :(

Driving 120MPH is terrifying enough... when things are outta control, sometimes logic gets fuzzy. I think I would be panicing for sure. Assuming there was sum traffic, its amazing he didnt rear end anyone.

RUBBERDUCKEY Sep 30, 2009 02:40 PM

Watch out during winter when you guys buy those rubber mats It happens.

Duffman19 Sep 30, 2009 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by evo_soul (Post 7561106)
Driving 120MPH is terrifying enough... when things are outta control, sometimes logic gets fuzzy. I think I would be panicing for sure. Assuming there was sum traffic, its amazing he didnt rear end anyone.

yeah he was going 120 at the crash but how fast do you think he was going when he realized?? i bet he wasent going over 60mph before he found out he should have had enough time to put it in neutral and slow down

Lexikon Sep 30, 2009 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by RUBBERDUCKEY (Post 7561230)
Watch out during winter when you guys buy those rubber mats It happens.

Agreed. Its a real shame that lives were lost from a simple miscalculation in trimming a floormat for formfit a vehicle.

razo Sep 30, 2009 05:03 PM

wow... horrible

i had a winter floor mat stick in my chrysler 300...
i can see why everyone says 'why didn't they put it in neutral... well... i didn't...
picture going at a normal pace and then out of no where your car is WOT...
yea... i got lucky... i stomped on the breaks with two feet before i went into an intersection... my light was red...
i was sitting at the light in the turning lane (pulled into it last second to avoid re ending a car) and i found myself there doing the biggest burnout of my life for a few seconds... THEN i popped it in neutral...
yea... it's not fun...
crazy that this is with OEM floor mats... mine were crappy tire ones...

o7'silvermax Sep 30, 2009 05:10 PM

sounds terrible but i wonder why they didnt think about taking it out of gear or just turning the car off

buchnerj Sep 30, 2009 05:17 PM

RIP... Terrible design by Toyota, they will pay some serious fines and lawsuits for this one, and pay a good deal on the recalls, as they should... Spread the words to your friends and family about this and get them to check their cars, all we can do is learn from a tragedy.

evo_soul Sep 30, 2009 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by o7'silvermax (Post 7561812)
sounds terrible but i wonder why they didnt think about taking it out of gear or just turning the car off

Same reason why we forget to do the most basic of things when we are scared like hell. Everything is slow motion... Tunnel vision, you dont hear correctly, you dont see correctly.

Second, 120 MPH can you imagine cutting the power and trying to stir that. It could have been something that crossed his mind.

If the person was perhaps trained for that sorta thing, like a race driver, they stand a much better chance But I heard stories where guys are driving some serious rigs and even a turn of the key can't save ya.

:(

xRoguex Sep 30, 2009 05:33 PM

neutral would have given him accessory's and power brakes - with no power to the trans.

Wasnt he a CHP? You would think he would stay cool under pressure such as this.

I would think a tense gun stand off would be more mind boggling then a 100+mph cruise

evo_soul Sep 30, 2009 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by xRoguex (Post 7561884)
neutral would have given him accessory's and power brakes - with no power to the trans.

Wasnt he a CHP? You would think he would stay cool under pressure such as this.

I would think a tense gun stand off would be more mind boggling then a 100+mph cruise

you can be trained for a gun stand off, but not being in control of your car like its possessed can shake anyone. that and having your kids / family around you. I am sure even a cop would be rattled if those he carried about are in equal danger.

phuknrht Sep 30, 2009 10:31 PM

my OEM floor mats in my sunfire GT used to slide up all the time, once jamming the gas on, put the clutch in, it redlined for a bit and shut off, scary time was when i got up behind my brake and the break wouldnt go down at all

Tangerine Sep 30, 2009 10:47 PM

I've gotten the recall letter last year, a bit surprising to be bringing my car in for new mats but I'm not complaining.