Notices

Are Synthetic Oil's trully Synthetic ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2014, 01:37 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are Synthetic Oil's trully Synthetic ?

Ok so lets start with the 90s where Mobil 1 challenged Castrol before the National Advertising Division of the BBB, because Castrol introduced a Group 111 oil and marketed it as full synthetic, Castrol prevailed the dispute and mobil lost.

The issue here that you as the customer will run into is that when you buy oil from Wallmart or your auto parts store you don't have a clue as to what you are getting, even though the bottle says Full Synthetic oil you don't know if its truly a full synthetic or not or if its only 50% synthetic base stock,, why because there is no law or agreement that states a full synthetic cant be made from petroleum inferior additives.

In fact there is noting from preventing oil manufacturers from labeling an inferior group 1 or 2 oil as synthetic,,, and be assured I happens,, go to the store and find some of those so called Synthetics for $3 bucks a quart, you can rest assured that oil is not even close to a synthetic blend although is being marketed as synthetic....

the game is about to change though with the way companies are allowed to label their products and once this happens the boys will be separated from the men 0

You need to be careful specially if you car is turbo'd or has a blower or even an N/A car running high horsepower,,, full synthetic oils in my book should only be PAO or ESTER oils, good Group 3 or Group 4.. these oils are design to stand up to anything (Heat, Friction, thermal breakdown, shear stable, exotic fuels and will last much longer in your engine 2 times or 3 times longer)

Another point is that most cars are now requiring from factory a 5W20 and a 0W20... oh and get ready the GF-6 requirements are coming out very soon here with an 0W16 weight oil coming down the pipes and you can rest assured all new cars will use GF-6 oils because the drive for fuel economy is huge and the only way to save fuel is by reducing engine internal friction... its pretty cool what the lab at AMSOIL is doing for the GF-6, this oil is a challenge because of how light it is and making sure that no metal to metal contact is important, the other important characteristic of this oil will be to reduce "fluid friction" you may have never heard of fluid friction but in this case we are reducing fluid friction and engine internal friction.

So at the end of the day, for those who think an oil is an oil the answer is a BIG NO, not all synthetics are created equal and this lays true for any products we as consumers purchase.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 01:49 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Interesting, what is changing in regards the labeling? Have any links?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 05:05 AM
Account Disabled

Not sure I understand your question.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 01:04 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
You said

Originally Posted by apagan01

the game is about to change though with the way companies are allowed to label their products and once this happens the boys will be separated from the men 0

and that is what i was asking about. This sounds interesting and i would like to know more.

Cheers
Old Sep 21, 2014, 05:55 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
You said

and that is what i was asking about. This sounds interesting and i would like to know more.

Cheers
Nothing is in concrete yet. But the talks are rolling, American Petroleum Institute API has to be involved, some lobying has to happen ect... the goal is to require companies label the oil's appropriately with no deception in miss leading the customer to think they are getting a Full Synthetic. .. I reiterate the issue you customers have is companies selling refined petroleum oils as synthetics why because they can, there are no ramifications for the miss leading practices.

So how do you know you are getting a real synthetic, call the company and demand from them to tell you if it's a hydrocracked or a true PAO or ESTER oil. Don't take me wrong there are good group 3 oils on the shelf .. mobil 0w40 being one
Old Sep 22, 2014, 03:40 PM
Account Disabled

Ok so lets start with the 90s where Mobil 1 challenged Castrol before the National Advertising Division of the BBB, because Castrol introduced a Group 111 oil and marketed it as full synthetic, Castrol prevailed the dispute and mobil lost.*

The issue here that you as the customer will run into is that when you buy oil from Wallmart or your auto parts store you don't have a clue as to what you are getting, even though the bottle says Full Synthetic oil you don't know if its truly a full synthetic or not or if its only 50% synthetic base stock,, why because there is no law or agreement that states a full synthetic cant be made from petroleum inferior additives.

In fact there is noting from preventing oil manufacturers from labeling an inferior group 1 or 2 oil as synthetic,,, and be assured I happens,, go to the store and find some of those so called Synthetics for $3 bucks a quart, you can rest assured that oil is not even close to a synthetic blend although is being marketed as synthetic....*

You need to be careful specially if you car is turbo'd or has a blower or even an N/A car running high horsepower,,, full synthetic oils in my book should only be PAO or ESTER oils, good Group 3 or Group 4.. these oils are design to stand up to anything (Heat, Friction, thermal breakdown, shear stable, exotic fuels and will last much longer in your engine 2 times or 3 times longer)

Another point is that most cars are now requiring from factory a 5W20 and a 0W20... oh and get ready the GF-6 requirements are coming out very soon here with an 0W16 weight oil coming down the pipes and you can rest assured all new cars will use GF-6 oils because the drive for fuel economy is huge and the only way to save fuel is by reducing engine internal friction... its pretty cool what the lab at AMSOIL is doing for the GF-6, this oil is a challenge because of how light it is and making sure that no metal to metal contact is important, the other important characteristic of this oil will be to reduce "fluid friction" you may have never heard of fluid friction but in this case we are reducing fluid friction and engine internal friction.

So at the end of the day, for those who think an oil is an oil the answer is a BIG NO, not all synthetics are created equal and this lays true for any products we as consumers purchase.

Last edited by apagan01; Sep 22, 2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 01:57 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
gsrboi80,

Don't make us ban you over something dumb and pointless like trolling. I realize the thread was in the wrong place, but it's not now. Stay out of his vendor section threads.