Notices

Mishimoto Build Thread: Evolution 7/8/9 Performance Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mishimoto Build Thread: Evolution 7/8/9 Performance Intercooler

Hey Evom,

We recently began working on a new intercooler design for the Evolution 7/8/9 and documented our build and testing process. Feel free to chime in with any comments, questions, or suggestions!

This post is also available on our new engineering blog, where we document all of our project builds!

2001–2007 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Performance Intercooler, Part 1: Project Introduction and Design

The Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution ticks all the necessary boxes to make it a legendary and unforgettable sedan that continues to be competitive on and off the tarmac. Mitsubishi has always had a way of triggering the enthusiast in their consumers, by producing unique vehicles for people who are looking for more than typical transportation. I spent a fair amount of my youth drooling over the body lines of Starquests, the immense power of DSMs, and the absolutely ridiculous 3000GT VR4. The Evo really was the compilation of everything great about Mitsubishi. For these unique vehicles oozing with character, we can only thank Mitsubishi and plead for its return to vehicle design based more on insanity and spirit, and less on the general consumer’s needs!

Although the Lancer Evolution 7/8/9 was released over a decade ago, it is still a popular choice as a daily driver, rallycross toy, and even track rat. We recently decided to redesign our Evolution X intercooler and found numerous product features that we could improve to create an intercooler that supports massive horsepower while providing benefits for stock vehicles as well. This is a task more easily said than done. With one generation of Evolution out of the way, we needed to take a look at our 7/8/9 intercooler and see if we needed to modify it, reinvent it, or offer a supplemental product. Product improvement is a big part of the performance aftermarket. Although we strive for perfection, sometimes nailing a product 100% is difficult to do from the start. Often times the needs of our consumers change, technology changes, or our team develops new processes that can result in huge improvements. Our existing intercooler for the Evolution 7/8/9 provides ample benefits over the tube-and-fin OEM unit. Check out the factory unit we pulled off a vehicle below!

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution OEM Intercooler

So you may be asking yourself, what exactly is wrong with the stock front-mount intercooler? Well I won’t state that anything is wrong with this component, but certainly a few points can be improved. To start, the core construction is not designed for highly modified vehicles. Like most other OEM coolers, this uses a tube-and-fin core design. While lightweight and great for airflow, this cooler will not provide the heat transfer needed to support modified vehicles. The factory intercooler is said to provide reasonable efficiency for vehicles stock to around 375 whp. Another important factor is the type of driving your vehicle will see. Heat soak can be a problem, and repeated pulls, especially on a road course, will cause the stock intercooler to soak. While 375 hp may seem like a lot of power to some, Evolution owners won’t even look twice at something in this power range. With just a few easy modifications, you are past this magical number, wondering why your intake temperatures were obscenely high. But wouldn’t it be great to have an intercooler that would support a much broader power range while providing lower intake temperatures, improved flow, and increased power? The answer is yes, feel free to nod your head in recognition. Stick with me here!

On to my second point. Take a good look at the intercooler in the image above. Observe the ruined and destroyed fins from road debris. If you drive your Evolution as it was designed, this is bound to happen. A tube-and-fin core is easily damaged by road debris and can result in boost leaks. Don’t let this happen to your Evo. A bar-and-plate core is a more robust design that is far superior in handling physical damage.

Finally, airflow is a big issue with the factory cooler. When you are trying to suck every last bit of power from your car, CAC airflow is going to play a role in throttle response and overall power. The design of the factory end tanks does not promote optimal flow through the core. Our engineers would need to craft smooth tanks, both internally and externally, for proper flow. Thanks to experience from previous successful projects, they are very familiar with this task and could tackle it with confidence.

So with all these factors in mind, we would need to set up a few project-related guidelines for our engineers.

Goals
  1. Provide substantial cooling benefits compared to the factory intercooler
  2. Support a minimum of 500 whp
  3. Use a bar-and-plate core at least 3.5” thick
  4. Provide bolt-on power with Mishimoto intercooler installation
  5. Design precision cast end tanks to provide optimal airflow
  6. Support boost pressures of at least 30 psi

We have a ton of great goals here, all arranged in order of preference. Our primary goal, as it should be, is cooling performance. Reduced intake temperatures means a more dense charge of air that can allow for more aggressive tuning, which will then net you more power. More power will net you more smiling, which will in turn make you a generally happier person. Mishimoto wants you to be happy!

Second, we would like to support a minimum of 500 whp. Although making power on an Evo is relatively simple, our target vehicle will be at or below this number. This lower range also allows us to optimize our core size and composition for pressure, flow, and heat dissipation. Catering to a higher power level (600+ hp) would require some form of sacrifice for a stock or mildly modified vehicle.

Our next goal, a bar-and-plate core 3.5” thick, is somewhat broad because a ton of other factors go into this. For comparison, the factory core is around 2.7” thick. Designing a product by just slapping on a big thick core is not the way we work. Our engineering team would take a close look at fin composition, bar construction and sizing, and end tank factors that would impact the overall results of our testing.

The fourth goal is essentially a secondary objective. While adding power isn’t typical of an intercooler upgrade, we have found that several of our other intercoolers showed great power increases on both stock and modified vehicles. To address goal 5, our end tanks will be formed from cast aluminum, which provides a durable connection point for the core and allows our engineers to use CFD software to enhance and perfect airflow. This would provide ideal dispersion throughout the core, which would result in greater efficiency. Our final goal is to support 30 psi. With the materials and construction selected for this project, reaching 30 psi would not be a problem. If you are not aware, we recently launched a line of diesel products including intercoolers. We have rigorously tested these units to well over 100 psi without issue. This intercooler will laugh at 30 psi.

Onward to product design! Our team had quite a bit of aid in designing this product. For one, we had access to an OEM cooler. We also currently offer an intercooler for this application, which would provide most of our key dimensions. Our newest team member, Steve, has an Evolution 9 that he uses as a daily driver. Despite general jealousy throughout the department, it was awesome to have this vehicle so accessible, not to mention having an additional talented engineer on staff. Our team started with producing some Solidworks drawings and even constructed a foam prototype for sizing.

Mishimoto intercooler foam prototype

We were then able to develop a real functioning prototype with a few alternate core designs. As usual, our team designs a few different cores to observe the effects on cooling for each application. This project was no different and we selected a serrated fin and a straight/perforated fin design. Our initial theory proposed that this serrated fin design would promote turbulence within the core and result in greater air mixture throughout the core, which would improve heat transfer. It would be very interesting to see exactly how this core would react to our test vehicle.

Once the prototype was in, it was time for a few comparison shots of the product process!

Mishimoto prototype intercooler, foam prototype intercooler, and stock intercooler

Mishimoto prototype intercooler, foam prototype intercooler, and stock intercooler

Now, let’s compare a few important elements between the Mishimoto and factory cores. First, thickness! This seems to be the big topic of discussion on the forums. Yes, a thicker core will provide improved volume that can result in improved performance for power and heat transfer. Keep in mind that other features of the actual core also dictate how it will perform. Check out the comparison below!

Mishimoto prototype intercooler vs. stock intercooler thickness

For those struggling to see the difference, I have used this high-tech measuring device for your viewing pleasure.

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution stock intercooler thickness

Mishimoto prototype intercooler thickness

All right, so it’s bigger; what does this do for me? This will be determined later in our testing. In the meantime, check out these end tanks!

End tank comparison of Mishimoto prototype vs. stock intercooler

This benefit is easy to see. The end tanks on the Mishimoto unit are cast to a very smooth finish both internally and externally. This provides ideal airflow and reduced turbulence. The stock stamped tanks provide a bit of restriction, especially at the point where the inlet tube meets the tank itself. These tanks were designed with CFD software to create the best possible flow. You will also notice a weld on the inlet of the Mishimoto prototype. I know what you are thinking: John, you told me these were cast end tanks, what gives? Here’s the deal. Our castings are rather thick for durability and longevity reasons. This increased thickness in the inlet/outlet results in a slight decrease in inner diameter. In an effort to fully optimize this cooler, we have designed a welded-on inlet/outlet to increase the inner diameter and reduce restrictions. Not to worry, this has little effect on overall durability. This method has been tried and tested on numerous applications, including our Evolution X intercooler and Subaru top-mount intercooler, which was recently released.

Now, check out a few more shots of the Mishimoto prototype intercooler!

Mishimoto prototype intercooler, front view

Mishimoto prototype intercooler, rear view

Previously, I mentioned that this intercooler was being tested with two core configurations. The powder-coated black cooler shown above features a straight fin design; the other cooler has a perforated fin design.

Mishimoto prototype intercooler with alternate fin

That’s it for this installment of the project. Check back soon for our testing and data collection. We will also be wrapping up this project in Part 2 with full product details.

Thanks for following along!

Last edited by mishimoto; Mar 7, 2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks interesting. If you need any help testing on a road course I'd be a willing guinea pig.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks nice. How does the mishimoto core compare to a Garrett core per say?

Will they be an option for an ic without the "M" spray painted on?

Any idea on pricing yet?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Wih very competitive prices from ETS, I think that would be the biggest concern along with flow capability.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 07:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ReaperX
Looks interesting. If you need any help testing on a road course I'd be a willing guinea pig.
Awesome thanks! We do a majority of our testing in house, however if we are in need of some independent testing we will be in touch! Thanks for the offer.

Originally Posted by ReidFletcher
Looks nice. How does the mishimoto core compare to a Garrett core per say?

Will they be an option for an ic without the "M" spray painted on?

Any idea on pricing yet?
Thank you! Unfortunately we do not provide public comparisons of our products to competitor offerings. We do provide data for comparison against OEM components, so look for that towards the end of this week.

Yes, we will be offering a black core which will not have the "M" logo painted to the core. It will have an "M" cast into the end tank.

Pricing is not fully determined at this time, we should have a better idea very soon!

Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
Wih very competitive prices from ETS, I think that would be the biggest concern along with flow capability.
Thanks! Our pricing will be very competitive with other products currently on the market. We will have more details on pricing and performance very soon!
Old Mar 10, 2014, 06:07 PM
kpr
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hasn't this been on the market for a long time ????? I would like to see your new oil cooler though.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by kpr
Hasn't this been on the market for a long time ????? I would like to see your new oil cooler though.
It has BUT I don't believe I've seen a side by side comparison OR detail notes like this on it. Definitely a great addition for future searchers.

I'm getting one myself.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 08:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kpr
Originally Posted by Leonthefaded
It has BUT I don't believe I've seen a side by side comparison OR detail notes like this on it. Definitely a great addition for future searchers.
I'm getting one myself.
Thanks guys! We currently offer a tube-and-fin intercooler for the Evolution 7/8/9 that is quite nice. Our existing product is great for stock or lightly modified vehicles and provides a proven 25 hp increase on a stock Evo.

The new Mishimoto intercooler features a bar-and-plate core with increased thickness over our existing product. This will provide support for higher horsepower vehicles as well as improved heat transfer. We will have some testing data to post towards the end of this week in reference to our new design!

KPR: We have a direct fit oil cooler for both the 7/8/9 and X chassis. Check out the details for the 7/8/9 in the thread below or our web site!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...l#post11100246

http://www.mishimoto.com/mitsubishi-...kit-01-07.html

Let me know if you have any questions!
Old Mar 13, 2014, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What's the drawback of having a very large inlet lets say a 4" and a 3" outlet or vice versa? Or even full fledge 4" and 4" Inlet and Outlet on a bar and plate core design?
Old Mar 13, 2014, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Can we see a pick of the fins?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sil'vr-Boi6
What's the drawback of having a very large inlet lets say a 4" and a 3" outlet or vice versa? Or even full fledge 4" and 4" Inlet and Outlet on a bar and plate core design?
Great question! Air traveling through a pipe creates friction. Friction caused by the pipes cross-sectional area maxes out when air velocity is at about 450 ft/sec. Anything above that velocity will cause major losses in the piping system.

On the other side of things if you have 4” piping compared to 2.5” you have a massive amount of volume increase (4” to 2.5” diameter pipe is 2.5 times more area). This volume increase causes big turbo lag, and results in overall less power. So based on mass flow rates of the engine we can calculate the proper size intercooler piping for a certain application. Its always a balancing act.

Originally Posted by mt057
Can we see a pick of the fins?
As mentioned above, we have two different cores to use for testing. We should be able to provide an image showing the internal fins soon. This may require cutting an end tank. Getting a good shot through the inlet is rather difficult due to the angle. Our second part of the testing should be posted around the middle of next week. Once complete we can work on that image for you! Keep an eye out for this.

Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Hey guys,

Thank for following along with this build thus far! Check out the data collection and completion of this project below!

Feel free to swing by our new Engineering Blog for updates on all of the projects going on in the Mishimoto Garage!

Thanks

2001–2007 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Performance Intercooler, Part 2: Data Collection and Project Completion

And we are back! Enough drooling over our large core, cast tanks, and slick powder-coated finish. It was time to put these coolers to work. If you recall from the previous post, our fantastic engineer Steve is the proud owner of the super clean Evolution 9 you see below. Steve agreed to donate his vehicle for testing, which eliminated the process of tracking down a local Evo that would fit our requirements.

Mishimoto prototype intercooler installed on test vehicle

Check out the specs on the car!

Modifications
  • Aftermarket Intake
  • Turbo-back Exhaust
  • Intercooler piping
  • Tune
  • An abundance of boost

We would be doing back-to-back testing, comparing the stock intercooler with the Mishimoto unit. As stated before, we have two prototype core configurations that needed to be tested. Our PLX devices would be gathering pressure and temperature information, and we would also be recording power output. Testing conditions were 83°F with 35% humidity on this particular autumn day in Delaware. Our first task was to collect information for the stock intercooler, so we made dyno pulls until we had three consistent runs. This car was making 342 whp and 307 ft-lb of torque while nearing 30 pounds of boost. Intercooler outlet temperatures were creeping toward 140°F, which is not optimal for performance.

Below is the PLX system we use for collecting our data points. You can also see the sensors installed in the couplers.

PLX Devices

Gathering live data

Mishimoto prototype intercooler installed on test vehicle with PLX sensors

It was now time to test one of our prototype coolers, the serrated fin style. It was immediately obvious that this core was not going to work out. We predicted that increased turbulence, due to fin design, would result in greater heat transfer. One downside of this feature is increased pressure loss across the core of the cooler. This pressure loss was far too great for our goals, and was not creating the efficiency we were chasing. This design would likely provide fantastic efficiency for much higher horsepower vehicles, but this was not our target for this particular project. So, we moved on to our second core design, a straight, perforated style core, which should provide less turbulence and a pressure loss more similar to the factory cooler.

With the second core installed we made several more dyno pulls until once again, we had three consistent passes. The results for this particular core far exceeded the previous design. The key goal for this project was to find out how effective the cooler was at transferring heat and keeping high intake temperatures at bay. Our data showed that this cooler achieved quite a large decrease in temperatures. The factory cooler reached 137.7°F at its peak, while the Mishimoto intercooler reached just 109.5°F. This is just 26.5°F over ambient temperatures! The stock cooler maintained an average temperature of 113.6°F compared to the Mishimoto average of 99.4°F, which is nearly a 15-degree drop in overall average temperatures during the dyno pull. Check out the chart below!

Mishimoto prototype intercooler vs. stock intercooler – AIT comparison

With these results in the books, we could have stopped and called this project a success. Instead we dove into our other data points to be sure we weren’t leaving anything on the table. First up was pressure loss. Higher pressure loss will result in greater intercooler inlet temperatures which will effect the outlet temperatures as well. The key is to balance pressure loss and core density to provide the lowest outlet temperatures possible. Once we analyzed the data, we saw a 0.4 psi loss in pressure compared to the factory cooler. This is more than acceptable considering the cooling benefits of this intercooler.

Mishimoto prototype intercooler vs. stock intercooler – pressure comparison

Our last data point for comparison was power output; after all, everyone wants more power! After looking at dyno plots, we saw a huge gain in both horsepower and torque in a majority of the rpm range. Huge gains were found in the lower end of the range, which is a great improvement to the stock core. Maximum gains were 8 hp and 10.7 tq. We saw the biggest gain of 19 hp in the lower rpm range, below 4,500. Check out the dyno plot!

Mishimoto prototype intercooler vs. stock intercooler – power comparison

Testing was completed on the Mishimoto cooler without any additional tuning. Our engineers think that more power can be achieved with a tune specific to the capabilities of the new intercooler. We also expect similar performance with a stock Evolution and even greater efficiency with a vehicle producing up to 500 whp.

With all our data complete, organized, and very positive, it was time to close the project and begin mass production of this intercooler. Although a long process, our team learned quite a bit and were able to develop a fantastic product. Let’s go over the goals of our project and review the overall success and features.

Goals

1. Must provide substantial cooling benefits compared to the factory intercooler

The Mishimoto intercooler showed huge decreases in AITs for our test vehicle, with drops peaking at 28°F and average drops of 14.2°F. This drop in temperature will provide a more dense charge of air and allow for more aggressive tuning, resulting in improved power output.

2. Must support a minimum of 500 whp

The test vehicle used in this project was making 350 whp. Using formulas based on core volume and construction, our engineers are confident in rating this intercooler efficient for stock vehicles and modified vehicles up to 500 whp.

3. Must use a bar-and-plate core at least 3.5” thick

This intercooler uses a very dense bar-and-plate core that is exactly 3.5” thick. We found this core size and configuration to be very efficient for our target power and boost range.

4. Attempt to provide bolt-on power with Mishimoto intercooler installation

We were able to provide our test vehicle with a maximum power increase of 8 hp and 10 tq, as well as nearly 19 hp at lower rpms compared to the stock intercooler. Similar power gains can be expected for both stock and higher-horsepower vehicles.

5. Must have precision designed cast end tanks to provide optimal airflow

The cast end tanks designed for this intercooler are precision engineered for optimal, uninterrupted airflow. Our team modified the inlet/outlet to provide the least resistance and greatest inner diameter possible for airflow.

6. Must support boost pressures of 30 psi or greater

This one was easy! Our test vehicle (which endured numerous dyno pulls) was making just under 30 psi. Based on the materials used and construction process for this intercooler, we can rate this intercooler much higher than 30 psi. The vehicles in our target horsepower range are unlikely to be making more than 35 psi, and this cooler will have no problems supporting this.

With our goals met it was time to put a close on this project, but not without a few videos! First up is a dyno video taken during the testing process. Check it out.

Also, we are not all work and no play! Thanks to a very snowy winter this year, Steve has had plenty of opportunities for fun in his Evo. Check out this video! We allowed Steve to keep the intercooler we tested on his vehicle. It seems be doing quite well!

Disclaimer: Professional driver on a closed course, miles from civilization, outside of the USA, in a country that should not be named and cannot be recalled.

Feel free to follow up with any questions or comments!

Thanks!

Last edited by mishimoto; Apr 21, 2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mishimoto
Hey guys,

Disclaimer: Professional driver on a closed course, miles from civilization, outside of the USA, in a country that should not be named and cannot be recalled.

Feel free to follow up with any questions or comments!

Thanks!
that the best disclaimer i heard in awhile! any updates?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 09:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by shak2300
that the best disclaimer i heard in awhile! any updates?
Thanks! We are nearing completion of our production units. I would expect these to hit shelves within 2-3 weeks if the remainder of the process goes smoothly.

Check out a few of these units ready to go!

Old Mar 28, 2014, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for all the data you shared, unfortunately 500whp is much lower than the power I am making so even if I wanted one it would not support my power goals.

Quick Reply: Mishimoto Build Thread: Evolution 7/8/9 Performance Intercooler