Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Tuning Tech Dynoed my HTA35R, Milspec 65mm Throttle Body, & AMS VSR Intake Mani

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2008, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tuning Tech Dynoed my HTA35R, Milspec 65mm Throttle Body, & AMS VSR Intake Mani

Hello All,
Before anyone gets tooo curious, we only dynoed today with 100octane VP C10 unleaded. I wanted a safe street beat-around tune so we only went as high as around 24psi of boost. It was obvious that we were octane limited as on the last pull you could see that the whole set up was on the verge of waking up right when we were having to call it a day. Alfred was in the position of having to trade less timing for more boost and we had no desire to tune on razor's edge for just dicking-around on the streets. The 100 we were using was from the pump at a Perris 76 station. I'll go back soon enough for a real race gas tune (C16, etc) soon enough and see it we can hit 600+whp.

This post is to review four products: the FP HTA35R, the AMS VSR Intake mani, and the very nice 65mm Milspec throttle body. We put them all on at once and I can't provide an exact before and after comparison, but I have an old pull that is somewhat comparable. First the dynos:

These are my last two pulls: The 498whp and 410wtq was safe enough but Alfred and I felt it was a tad too agressive for daily driving. We backed it off just a bit and went with the 480whp mapping.

This pull reflects the tune that I left with. It says max boost was 24.8, but that was from a brief 1psi rise at 5500 rpms. The boost average was much closer to 23.75. On my Zietronix, it indicated only a max of 23.0 psi. That good ol' manual boost controler works like a charm.

This is as close to a valid comparison between my old set up and new that I could find in my files. It was forty degrees cooler during the earlier run (58 vs 98 degrees). That temperature difference and the 900 rpm difference from when the pulls began make it impossible to gauge changes in the the spool-up characteristics of the two set ups. But, as you can see, I was running about the same boost in both pulls, but the new parts just demolish my old ones up top. 75whp and 65wtq gains in higher rpms. It is extremely easy to notice the high rpm gains when driving: The blue line is the HTA, Mil.Spec throttle body, AMS Intake Manifold, and cone intake filter.

By far, Alfred and my goals were reached. We knew that my old setup was being choked in several key locations: the stock airbox, the stock throttle body, stock intake manifold, and the small compressor outlet on my turbo all conspired to restrict my top end power. However, all of my old parts were pretty effective at promoted a quick early spool up of the turbo. We were hoping the HTA would neutralize any losses of quick spool as a result of the WAY bigger intake manifold and that seemed to be the case.

The drivability is like stock. The intake parts are louder, but sound great. There is no discernable whistle from the new throttle body as the latest Milspec design has remedied that issue that some were having years ago.

We were blown away with the complete change of the car's powerband! The gains in the upper rpms were phenomenal. The throttle body, intake mani, cone intake filter, and HTA turbo did the trick.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

BTW, On the intake side, I still have a stock head, and stock MAF. The HKS 272s have been in my car for years and they do great at these power levels, but probably are also a limiting factor.

On the exhaust side, the stock head and HKS 272s are also a limiting factor. Also I have a big Magnaflow muffler and and resonator that also restrict flow a bit, but they make the car fairly quiet on the street.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amazing results!!! keep it up!!
Old Jun 30, 2008, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

Here is some turbo spool-up information. It was 94 degrees at the time of the pulls. Max boost peaked at 23.0 with an average boost of around 22.5. This is the same boost level and tune that made the 480whp/395wtq. Without a doubt, the Tuning Tech turbo kit when coupled with the TTech spec HTA 35R makes for a really quick spool, even when considering that it comes from a 2.3 stroker motor. This thing is gonna be scary on cold days with dense air...

2nd gear: 4683 rpms to get to 20psi

3rd gear: 4028 rpms to get to 20psi

4th gear: 3827rpms to get to 20psi

Pics:

Last edited by Smogrunner; Jun 30, 2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

what is that shiny little pipe sticking out from the oil cooler vent in the first 2 pics??
is that the wastegate pipe?
Old Jul 1, 2008, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dxbevo9
what is that shiny little pipe sticking out from the oil cooler vent in the first 2 pics??
is that the wastegate pipe?

AMS brake cooling kit. See here:
http://www.amsperformance.com/store/...oducts_id=1202
Old Jul 1, 2008, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Great info! Thanks for sharing it all etc.

Do you have any under hood pics? Cant wait to see the new race gas numbers.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It's time to update that signature smoggy!

What are your plans next aside from the C16 tune?

I'll soon be dropping by TT myself for a tune, hopefully I break the 500whp mark with my new setup!
Old Jul 11, 2008, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Hi folks,
Here are the exact changes since my last dyno sessions:
1. Turbo cold side: When I switched to my HTA, I sent in my 35R to FP and they modified my existing turbo. The hotside remained the same, but the compressor side saw big changes. I didn't go from a typical 35R with a 4" outlet to the HTA. I had a less than ideal 3" outlet for fitment reasons as my TTech turbo kit was an early prototype.

2. Exhaust manifold: To address #1 above, TTech modded their exhaust manifold to have slightly longer #2 and #3 runners and fully accomodate normally sized 35Rs. When my car was there, this revised exhaust manifold was installed.

3. Intake and filter: I removed my stock factory intake, and installed a simple K & N cone intake.

4. Throttle body: I removed my stock throttle body, and had it ported by Mil.Spec to be 65mm.

5. Intake manifold: Finally removed my stock intake manifold and installed my AMS VSR Intake manifold.

6. Intake and intercooler piping: Although some changed, there was nothing that should have effected power in any way.

What I've learned: Despite my old skepticism, stock intake restrictions are REAL and significant at higher hp levels. I made massive gains in upper rpm levels. I'm sure I could make more with the removal of my stock maf and an EMS. 480whp and 397wtq at 22.5 - 23.0psi on a dynojet with conservative timing is respectable by any measure with my mods.

Anyhow, I'm gonna snap off some pictures and post some logs tomorrow for anyone who might be interested....

Last edited by Smogrunner; Jul 11, 2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

pretty good results.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Interesting. What gas do you plan on running everyday

edit: never mind this probably is not a DD
Old Jul 12, 2008, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 596736
Interesting. What gas do you plan on running everyday

edit: never mind this probably is not a DD
I've completely de-stickered it so that I can drive around with a lower profile. Although I don't drive it everyday, it is regularly driven. I run it on Sunoco 100 octane bought from a sketchy gas station near work. I'm not convinced that they don't mix it with regular pump gas. They changed from VP to Sunoco without even relabeling the pump.

An E85 station is scheduled to open locally within a month and when it does I'll switch to it and retune...
Old Jul 12, 2008, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

Smoggy, what kind of manual boost controller are you using - it seems to work perfectly.

Also, what is the hot side housing on your HTA35? Is it a 5 bolt like AMS uses, or a 4-bolt, or what?

What is the hot side a/r?

What turbo did you have on your "old" setup?

Gary