Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Mellon Tuning - Another satisfied customer!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mellon Tuning - Another satisfied customer!

I am now another happy customer w/ a Mellon Tune! MY story starts w/ an odd lean condition at 5500-6500 rpm range. It would be fine up until that area and jump to a dangerous 12.2+ AFR then back down afterwards. I laid down 340whp/325tq on a local mustang dyno, but it was far from reliable. Basically on the edge and at times i was battling knock etc. Turns out, that although i only have intake/exhaust modifications my injectors were up in the 98% duty cycle range. Although many of you on the forums say its "ok" i've never in my years of messing w/ cars EVER thought going over 85% was "ok". Anyways, after months of frustration w/ my current tune i figured i'll ignore the suggestions of them being ok and went to upgrade my injectors to 780cc PTE. I needed a tuner to set them up and since i've used all the top tuners at least once in the past, i thought i'd give Chris(Mellon) a turn since he such great feedback. Well, i couldnt have made a better choice! You definately get what you pay for in this case. Chris has a great attention to detail and takes the time to figure out a tune for YOUR specific needs and how YOUR car is responding. He doesnt just throw an off the shelf tune at you and just get you in a satisfactory tune. It almost seems like he puts the same effort as he does in his own car! We had to start from ground zero on my tune. Fresh... It took countless flashes and reviewing logs. Patience w/ me as i didnt get my wideband linked to evoscan until near the end, lol. The goal was to retune w/ the 780s and get me near the whp i got on the dyno BUT in a safe reliable tune. Well, after a few weeks... mission accomplished! A rock solid AFR in the mid 11s (tapering up), extremely smooth pulling power band, perfect idle at 14.7 AFRs, and my part throttle cruising and partial boost felt so much better! The best part is somehow he got my Evo to accept more timing on the top end! previously myself or any tuner could not get more than 11-12 deg on the top end w/out knocking. Chris was able to ramp it up to where i easily saw up to 16 deg of timing past redline safely! The car pulls amazingly... He put together a DLL graph that shows the car making 342whp/333tq which i was extremely happy with as it shows im back making the great power w/out the risks! and now w/ even more torque!... (im going to back it up w/ another pull on the same mustang dyno shortly) This is simply an intake/exhaust/tune at 24psi on pumpgas! Im so impressed, that i am going back to Chris in about a month to re-tune for my FPgreen/Cams setup shortly! And i'll gladly pay for those services anytime! A perfectly running Evo is priceless after you've been through alot, lol!!
Attached Thumbnails Mellon Tuning - Another satisfied customer!-takaseevoixse.jpg  
Old Feb 11, 2009, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w3rd

mellon tooning ftw!!!
Old Feb 11, 2009, 07:41 AM
Account Disabled

hey Tom, keep us posted on the dyno results, that should be very interesting. I suspect the mustang dyno may read lower than DLL. However, I always use a somewhat conservative 165lb driver for the vehicle weight unless I'm told otherwise and I didn't account for the tire size which would also bump up the numbers just a hair. I prefer to give out a conservative DLL number than an artificially inflated one just to boost someone's ego. Either way it'll be interesting data to chew on

thanks again for allowing me the privilege of tuning your EVO Tom, I've really enjoyed working with you. I'm looking forward to seeing what's next for your car...it's a strong one to begin with and it's only going to get better. I knew you'd been through a lot with the car, it's very important to me that you're happy with the performance & reliability.

welcome to the Mellon Tuning ARMY
Old Feb 11, 2009, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

I'm also a very happy mellon tuning customer! Mellon Tuning=A+

Last edited by Poloiceberg; Feb 14, 2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

thx Chris! yup... i'll reply later what is confirmed on the actual dyno. I was scheduling for this wknd or friday, but just realized its Valentine's Day! and my fiance would murder me if i did that, lol... latest next wk though! Im sure it will be close... but yeah it will be interesting to see how accurate DLL is. But either way, im just glad my car doesnt have all the weird issues it had before! awesome!
Old Feb 16, 2009, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

I too am part of that ARMY! I just ordered a stage 2 t/c , test pipe and will soon order a different bov. then its off to let Chis work his magic again! Good Choice, can't go wrong with Mellon!
Old Feb 16, 2009, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

nice results...what oct gas is this car on?
Old Feb 24, 2009, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

UPDATE.... well, i know i promised to post another mustang dyno sheet w/ Chris' tune, but my parts came in earlier than i expected so i started tearing her down again, lol. (im just waiting on EPM to send me the o2 dump. So anyways, the FPgreen and supporting mods are already being put on. But anyhoo, Mellon Tuning will be enlisted once more to tackle the tuning for the green and of course i'll post another review! Since i plan to stick w/ the Green for a while, i'll post comparisons w/ DLL using the Mustand Dyno we have here locally. I want to see if we can crack 400whp on 93octane...
Old Feb 24, 2009, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by McLaren F1 2003
nice results...what oct gas is this car on?
this was on 93 octane Shell V-power pumpgas... Chris sure knows how to make power on pumpgas!! And only 24psi boost... My mod list changed recently, so during the pulls for this thread i only had an intake and full exhaust. Stock o2 housing, stock turbo, stock intercooler, stock licp... I can't wait till he tunes me on the green!
Old Feb 25, 2009, 06:35 AM
Account Disabled

hey Tom, I'll be going through my e-mail today and get with you about dialing in the new setup I'm eager to see the difference in DLL
Old Mar 6, 2009, 11:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Tom let us know what kinda #'s Mellon can re-tune you for. Mellon def knows his Tuning.....
Old Mar 6, 2009, 11:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Mellon is the man.. I am currently building a car for a customer of his Chad that he will make some sick power with!!!

Mike
Old Mar 7, 2009, 12:03 AM
Account Disabled

if it's the one I'm thinking of that's going to be a fun one
Old Mar 19, 2009, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

well i got the FPgreen on along w/ all the supporting mods in my signature update! sent Chris(mellon) pymt and awaiting my the start of my new tune! can't wait! This one should be alot of fun! I'm hoping we can get close to 400whp on pumpgas! (it took a while because i did all the installs myself...incl the cams!!)
Old Mar 19, 2009, 06:55 PM
Account Disabled

here we go, you have mail Tom!

Quick Reply: Mellon Tuning - Another satisfied customer!